DVD Builder...Program Crash

jfreijser

Question

I submitted problem report shown below on 9 January 2007 in Sonic Solutions problem tracking database.

All I want is a fix free of charge, or an upgrade key to version 9, if necessary at some cost.

The advice I have had is to downgrade IE 7 to IE 6, or get the latest version Easy Media Creator 9.

In later comments I have stated that I am totally dissatisfied with the response from Roxio Technical Support. I have seen so many complaints from users in the forums, that I really wonder why we bother with this product. I don't think I am ever going to go near it ever again.

=== 9 Jan 2007 problem report ====

In StoryBuilder, after creating a production of 5 separate home videos in mpeg format, each time I click

the Burn Production to Disc button the software tries to open DVD Builder which then freezes and crashes, only to be got out of with multiple Alt-Ctrl-Dels.

I found the same case description in one of your discussion forums, but the solution you offer there (remove IE 7 and replace by IE 6) is not an option for me.

Additional problem: Storybuilder won't start anymore:

In the end I did manage to burn the production to DVD, by selecting all the separate storyline components and then selecting Burn via right mouse button. I can't exactly remember how I did this, and now I can't reproduce it because the program component 'Guided Edit with Storybuilder' won't start up anymore at all. When I click that option Videowave appears instead. During the start-up process I can see the Storybuilder screen flash by for a fraction of a second.

The production that is now on the DVD works, although it took me a while to discover that I had to press 1 on the keypad of the DVD's remote control to get it started. All other video navigation buttons do not react until I press the button 1.

Also, I had expected to find the separate videos as chapters, selectable via the DVD navigation, but there is just one 60 minute video only to be navigated with fast forward and fast reverse.

The result of burning the 5 mpg files is 4 VOB files, 3 x 1 Gb each, and one of 685Mb.

I would like some advice about upgrading now, because now I have a tool that does not work at all for the things I want to use it. Upgradin to version 9 would cost me about the same that I paid for version 7.5, which I find a bit steep to say the least.

regards,

Jan Freijser

3 answers to this question

I submitted problem report shown below on 9 January 2007 in Sonic Solutions problem tracking database.

All I want is a fix free of charge, or an upgrade key to version 9, if necessary at some cost.

The advice I have had is to downgrade IE 7 to IE 6, or get the latest version Easy Media Creator 9.

In later comments I have stated that I am totally dissatisfied with the response from Roxio Technical Support. I have seen so many complaints from users in the forums, that I really wonder why we bother with this product. I don't think I am ever going to go near it ever again.

=== 9 Jan 2007 problem report ====

In StoryBuilder, after creating a production of 5 separate home videos in mpeg format, each time I click

the Burn Production to Disc button the software tries to open DVD Builder which then freezes and crashes, only to be got out of with multiple Alt-Ctrl-Dels.

I found the same case description in one of your discussion forums, but the solution you offer there (remove IE 7 and replace by IE 6) is not an option for me.

Jan Freijser

People's thinking is indeed curious at times…

Fact: IE7 breaks Roxio V7!

Roxio is not going to reopen the code to create a repair for software that has been out of production for over a year and is 2 full version behind.

No one forced you to upgrade to IE7.

From my point of view, your problems and suffering are self induced.

Was there a question in that reply?

I understand your frustration, but Internet Explorer 7 breaks more programs thank EMC 7.

It's easy to roll back to IE 6. Just go to Windows Add\Remove Programs and uninstall IE 7, then reboot your computer.

I guess I don't understand why you're not upset with Microsoft for installing a free 'critical update' to IE 7 that breaks programs you've paid for. Basically, the 'free' Microsoft update will probably force you to buy new versions of programs on your computer.

I'm NOT going to upgrade to IE 7 because I cannot afford to replace all the programs I've purchased and I don't want to find out the hard way which ones it breaks.

Archived