• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creating Chapters

Rayi

Question

I have updated to Roxio 9 and I feel lost, especially having not done any video editing in quite some time. I did a few DVD's converting my home Digital 8 movies. I cannot figure out how to create chapters. MyDVD seems different than DVD builder. I think I like 7.5 better. I have this urge to reinstall 7.5. I espcially do not like that I have lost some specifal effects/menus in 7.5.

I cannot seem to access my video production anymore. I'm not sure what I did. But it is not in the Project View. When I click on Preview, it only shows the Menu page. I don't know how to get back to it. When I click edit, all I got is the first menu page.

I'm still not sure what you are doing. Perhaps a fresh start?

I decided to just redo the video clips, as I can't seem to explain how I lost them. But I did do as you described in the picture. I have the bookmarks which I created in VideoWave and imported them to MyDVD. I did a preview and the bookmarks are there but I don't see the bookmarks in my project view as previously described. All I see at this point is first Untitled, under that Intro Movie, then under that My menu and, then under that "Production". So I don't know how to get them to be listed as previously described in My Project View, i.e., Chapter Menu. thanks.

Thanks for everyone's patience. I was reading the help files regarding "Generate chapter menu(s) and link to selected button check box" but this box does not always show up in some areas when you click chapters for some reason. Anyway, I finally was able to create thumbnails for each chapter. thanks again

Okay, I was following this link, and having the same EXACT problem. How did you finally get to see the chapters (thumbnails, as you called them), on the actual submenu (the viewing area on the right)? I see in the attached screen shots where there is the option to check that one box, but I do not have that as an option. It's not that it's grayed out, it's just simply not there at the bottom of the screen as an option. It's driving me crazy! I am using EMC9. Can someone help me? PLEASE!!

Okay, I was following this link, and having the same EXACT problem. How did you finally get to see the chapters (thumbnails, as you called them), on the actual submenu (the viewing area on the right)? I see in the attached screen shots where there is the option to check that one box, but I do not have that as an option. It's not that it's grayed out, it's just simply not there at the bottom of the screen as an option. It's driving me crazy! I am using EMC9. Can someone help me? PLEASE!!

If you didn't get the boxed version of EMC 9, or download it from Roxio's site, you have an OEM version that came with a computer or DVD drive, and it is more than likely a stripped down version of the software.

Sorry, I meant to say that was all I "had" at time when I created the home movies which was in reference to the previous comment that maybe I was using something else. But now I am using Roxio 9. Somehow I am getting nowhere. But chapters are points that you can access easily on a DVD. I have 19 chapters in this Music DVD which are 19 different musical videos. When I created the home movies with individual chapters, when I inserted the DVD, it immediately showed all the chapters as icons showing the first segment of the chapter, so that I could easily access each chapter. I could just move to any chapter and start it. I could just start with chapter 10 for example, as opposed to starting the DVD and having to go from Chaper 1, 2, 3, etc. I find it hard to believe that this cannot be done in Roxio 9.

I decided to just redo the video clips, as I can't seem to explain how I lost them. But I did do as you described in the picture. I have the bookmarks which I created in VideoWave and imported them to MyDVD. I did a preview and the bookmarks are there but I don't see the bookmarks in my project view as previously described. All I see at this point is first Untitled, under that Intro Movie, then under that My menu and, then under that "Production". So I don't know how to get them to be listed as previously described in My Project View, i.e., Chapter Menu. thanks.

What is inside the box on the left of "Production", a "-" sign or a "+" sign? If is a "+" sign, what happens if you click on it?

UGH!!! I am so frustrated!!!! I am having the same darn problem!!! I am using EMC9. The option to see the chapters after creating them is simply not there. What the heck?? Does the program have it or not, and if so, why don't IIIIIIIII?????????????? Is there a problem with the program or what??? Feel like I'm gonna end up in an insane asylum over this...... stuff.

Chapter marks can now be done two different ways:

In Videowave as you edit, you can add 'markers'. When you add the Videowave project to a MyDVD project, these markers are translated into Chapter marks.

In MyDVD, add your video file. This creates a text button or thumbnail button. RIGHT mouse click on the button and choose 'edit chapters'.

Other users have complained that some of the colored special effects are now gone, but those have been gone since V8.

>What is inside the box on the left of "Production", a "-" sign or a "+" sign? If is a "+" sign, what happens if you click on it?

Are your referring to when I lost the production? I did open that one but I did open all the boxes. There are no "+". They are all "-". But I gave up on that one and redid everything. I still don't understand how lost it. I was thinking maybe when I was asked to save something, I ended up losing it. But in both cases all the boxes are open.

>What is inside the box on the left of "Production", a "-" sign or a "+" sign? If is a "+" sign, what happens if you click on it?

Are your referring to when I lost the production? I did open that one but I did open all the boxes. There are no "+". They are all "-". But I gave up on that one and redid everything. I still don't understand how lost it. I was thinking maybe when I was asked to save something, I ended up losing it. But in both cases all the boxes are open.

A "-" sign means that the title has submenu/chapter.

Anyway, since you "redid everything", how is it coming along?

>Anyway, since you "redid everything", how is it coming along?

I was able to create the chapters but now I am trying to figure out how to show thumbnail previews of each chapter in "My Menu" to easily access any chapter. In DVD builder in 7.5, it seemed easy. I'm sure there must be a way.

I don't know if I am explaining it right but I created the Chapters but I just don't understand how I can get the bookmarks to show up in "My Menu". There must be something I am overlooking. I got the feeling once you created the Chapters in VideoWave and went to MYDVD and right clicked on Chapters and then let the chapters appear on the right , that they would appear in the same way it was illustrated under project view: where the Chapter Menu's, 1,2,34, would appear underneath the project view. I have created the chapters. I did burn one DVD and the chapters were there but I just would like have the chapters in thumbnail view in My Menu. I have to say Roxio 9 is much more complicated. I liked DVD builder. It seemed easier. Thank you for any patience with me.

I don't know if I am explaining it right but I created the Chapters but I just don't understand how I can get the bookmarks to show up in "My Menu". There must be something I am overlooking. I got the feeling once you created the Chapters in VideoWave and went to MYDVD and right clicked on Chapters and then let the chapters appear on the right , that they would appear in the same way it was illustrated under project view: where the Chapter Menu's, 1,2,34, would appear underneath the project view. I have created the chapters. I did burn one DVD and the chapters were there but I just would like have the chapters in thumbnail view in My Menu. I have to say Roxio 9 is much more complicated. I liked DVD builder. It seemed easier. Thank you for any patience with me.

Just create your chapters in MyDVD. That's the way I do it. I haven't made chapters in VideoWave since I think chapters in MyDVD are easier... and apparently give you the preview you want.

Actually, I've done Chapters both ways, in MyDVD and VideoWave; it is definitely easier to do them first in VideoWave. But neither results in creating the thumbnails in My Menu that DVD builder easily did. In DVD builder, they just automatically appeared in My Menu. It was nice to have the thumbnails of each chapter when you first put the DVD in. It is so hard to wade through the help files. There is just some small detail that I am missing.

Actually, I've done Chapters both ways, in MyDVD and VideoWave; it is definitely easier to do them first in VideoWave. But neither results in creating the thumbnails in My Menu that DVD builder easily did. In DVD builder, they just automatically appeared in My Menu. It was nice to have the thumbnails of each chapter when you first put the DVD in. It is so hard to wade through the help files. There is just some small detail that I am missing.

I don't remember that from DVD Builder. Perhaps another piece of software? Perhaps someone else will remind me that was the case. I am getting old. :rolleyes: I do know of another piece of software that will do that.

Are you talking chapters or are you talking individual movies?

Hello Larry,

I tried all 3 things you suggested, but none of them worked. Any other suggestions?

What screen resolution are you using? What is the font DPI? What VideoCard/chip do you have?

when you updated the drivers, did you delete the old drivers, reboot and then install the new drivers? If not, the old ones may still be running.

Actually, right now I am just playing around with creating Music DVD's; so each chapter is an individual Music mpeg. But I was definitely using Roxio 7.5 DVD builder, as that is all I have. I created about 25 home movie DVD's using DVD builder. I did find it easier to only digitally download small portions of home movies. Then I divided them up into separate chapters (events). But it seemed DVD builder made it easy to have all the chapters as thumbails in MyMenu, so that you could easily enter whatever chapter you wanted to go to, rather than having to forward to each chapter. There has got to way to do this. I'm just not seeing how to do it. Someone previously gave an example of their Project View. But I am unable to get it to list the Chapter menu's as they have done. I have been able to create the chapters, just not the Chapter Menu's, to create the thumbnails in MyMenu.

I am starting wonder if there are differences between the deluxe version. I Don't have the deluxe version. I was reading in the help files under "To Mark Chapters in a Movie" and it says "If you want to create a submenu containing a button for each chapter, select the Generate chapter menu(s) and link to selected button check box". I don't see this option in "Edit Chapters". I don't see this "Link to selected button check box". I don't see any "check Box" in the "Edit Chapters" under "Tools".

What screen resolution are you using? What is the font DPI? What VideoCard/chip do you have?

when you updated the drivers, did you delete the old drivers, reboot and then install the new drivers? If not, the old ones may still be running.

I think I got it figured out. I'm a little in rush mode right now cause I have 3 kids and a mother-in-law to take care of and huuby's outta town for the week, so I may not be explaining very well, BUT... you can go and add your chapters to the movie at any point, meaning, you don't have to have clicked on something in particular. But, I'm not sure, but I don't think I actually had clicked on the menu "name" like mine is called China 2007, over on the left side, under Project View, once I did that, and went it to edit chapters, that option down at the bottom that wasn't there before was suddenly there. VERY HAPPY TO SEE IT!!!!! Now, I had already gone back into Videowave and created the markers, but when I went into MYDVD and brought the file back in, and went into edit chapters, that option wasn't there. But when I selected the menu name under Project View, and then went to edit chapters again, this time that option at the bottom was there. I would have bet money that I had done that before, but maybe not. I guess, the key is to make sure that "title" is selected. 7.5 was definetely more user friendly, but at least I think I got it figured out! Thank you all for your help! I hope this is able to help others with the same problem. Let me know if you need better explanation, and I'll try! Family time now!!!!

Thanks again.

Theresa

Actually, right now I am just playing around with creating Music DVD's; so each chapter is an individual Music mpeg. But I was definitely using Roxio 7.5 DVD builder, as that is all I have. I created about 25 home movie DVD's using DVD builder. I did find it easier to only digitally download small portions of home movies. Then I divided them up into separate chapters (events). But it seemed DVD builder made it easy to have all the chapters as thumbails in MyMenu, so that you could easily enter whatever chapter you wanted to go to, rather than having to forward to each chapter. There has got to way to do this. I'm just not seeing how to do it. Someone previously gave an example of their Project View. But I am unable to get it to list the Chapter menu's as they have done. I have been able to create the chapters, just not the Chapter Menu's, to create the thumbnails in MyMenu.

In DVD Builder (of EMC 7.5), there are no chapters created on the "My Menu" page, the thumbnails you see there are called Titles, not chapters. A Title is created for each video clip you add using "Add New Title". To create chapters in DVD Builder, you click on a Title and then click "mark chapters" on the production editor menu bar.

I think you are confusing Titles and Chapters. Also which program are you actually using? These are the EMC 9 forums and you state you are "using Roxio 7.5 DVD builder, as that is all I have"

Thanks for everyone's patience. I was reading the help files regarding "Generate chapter menu(s) and link to selected button check box" but this box does not always show up in some areas when you click chapters for some reason. Anyway, I finally was able to create thumbnails for each chapter. thanks again

Archived