Sudden Problems & Anger with Roxio/Sonic

Tigger59

Question

All day yesterday, I had no problems running EMC 9. No problems! I've also had no problems since installing it on my Dell Dimension 9200 about a month ago. (I previously had an IBM clone that couldn't handle this program).

And then...after going on standby for a couple of hours, I attempted to restart EMC 9 to edit a video and guess what, PROBLEMS!!!!! The initial splash screen hangs for anywhere from 5-10+ minutes (at this moment, it's been 20 minutes) and then the opening screen shows, but I can't access any programs.

Last night, I rebooted 2x. Shut down and restarted 1x. Still nothing.

When I open the Task Manager, there is nothing there to indicate that that Roxixo EMC 9 is having problems. So guess what, the only option (again!) is to shut down.

I suppose my next option is to reinstall this !@#$$%@$#%@#$% program.

I am extremely angry with Roxio/Sonic: From this discussion group, they obviously know a lot of people have had problems and rather than offer an update to clear the problems OR any explanation on the website (without going thru several links), they put out an upgraded program which, if any user wants, they have to fork out ANOTHER $79 US.

The least they could have done was offered those of us who paid $$ for EMC 9 this new "deluxe" version at a high discount/rebate but noooooooo, instead, if we want a (supposed) better version, we have to fork out more $$$.

BTW, I thought I was running IE7 but I'm still running IE6. I'm afraid to install IE7 because I'm sure that EMC9 won't work properly. And what about Vista? According to something I read on this site, EMC9 is supposed to be compatible, but is it? I'd like to hear from users like myself before I go out and buy it.

System:

Dell Dimension 9200 (built Dec 2006)

Dual processor

2G memory

320G hard drive (2.13Ghz / 253G free)

22 answers to this question

You say you were trying to open a previously edited video, so Videowave must have worked when you did it

What have you done to the computer since you did that - obviously something has happened to make Videowave stop working - the only person who would know that is you, so check as to what you did, what you 'updated' and so on and that's where the answer will be

My Dell Dimension came with a trial of McAfee installed. A couple of weeks ago, I installed the complete McAfee Security Center. Until MAS was installed, EMC 9 worked 100% a-okay. After the installation, when I put my computer on Standby, the only way to get back in was to hold the start button for about 30 seconds and this had to be done at least twice. Why? I wish I knew.

After that, EMC 9 (and everything else) worked fine. Then, about a week later, McAfee did a system scan. When it was complete, EMC wouldn't open beyond the splash screen (sometimes). Sometimes I actually got the start menu, but that's as far as I could go. I'd do a restart or shut down completely and still nothing.

So, thinking that McAfee was the problem, I decided to remove it completely and install Norton which is included with my ISP. Still, nothing with EMC 9. I removed EMC 9 and reinstalled it. When I tried to open EMC 9, the splash screen would hang so I'd go into Windows Task Manager > Processes and shut down everything to do with Roxio and prepare to restart the computer AND THEN VideoWave would open! Why? I wish I knew.

The last video I edited opened fine but I want to open another video previously edited & saved in EMC 9 and that's when everything would freeze.

What am I doing wrong? As far as I'm concerned, NOTHING! I am getting the point where I should accept the fact that I wasted $100 on a program that's a total and complete DUD and suspect that Roxio/Sonic is fully aware of that fact because if they didn't think so, they would have offered a fix. All they have to do is look thru the hundreds of entries on this discussion group to realize they rushed EMC 9 out too soon. The program has been out since Sep 2006 and have they offered any downloadable updates. NO! Why? Because they don't want to admit they failed.

I'm sure there are other programs out there that don't disappoint as much as this one has. I've been using EMC since v4.0 and this is the first time I have been disappointed since Day 1.

I presume you have MS updates running automatically - there are a couple that have been known to cause problems - that's why I asked if you had checked on everything that was installed - including those

You also said that the problems arose after installing the full version of McAfee - did you run the ms installer cleanup after you removed it? It's quite possible that there are remnants in the registry

If a program stops working after another is installed, it's hardly fair to blame the original - it's more likely the second one that has caused the problem

Unless you really want one of those high priced programs or until you make a decision on which one, you might try AVG Free. I use it and have had no problems interfering with my programs and so far no viruses. Two were blocked from someone I knew so it does work.

Yep, I agree, try the free AVG AV application.

If McAfee is set to run a scan on its own (as opposed to being manually told to scan, and it kicks in while something else is taking up mucho resources (as EMC 9 most assuredly would), it could indeed cause a freeze - sounds like some settings on McAfee might need to be changed ...?

When doing any kind of work with a Video program (or even Audio), turn off what isn't needed - screensaver, Anti-Virus, FireWall, etc. You shouldn't need AV or FW, because you shouldn't be wasting resources by being online.

I got into that habit with an AMD K6-2 400MHz processor, burning at 4x. I tried 8x when I got the newer burner - it didn't complain but there were lots of skips in the resultant coaster.

Lynn

I presume you have MS updates running automatically - there are a couple that have been known to cause problems - that's why I asked if you had checked on everything that was installed - including those

You also said that the problems arose after installing the full version of McAfee - did you run the ms installer cleanup after you removed it? It's quite possible that there are remnants in the registry

If a program stops working after another is installed, it's hardly fair to blame the original - it's more likely the second one that has caused the problem

Which update? Can I uninstall it without messing up my computer? In fact, I just did an MS update...

I honestly couldn't say which one - probably one about the time you started to have the problem. IE7 and WMP11 are known to be causing problems as it is (and IE7 was classed as a 'critical' update by MS)

Did you try using the MS Cleaner Utility on McAfee to check for any remnants ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Also try this (free registry cleaning util)

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Tell it to look for McAfee and see if it finds anything

No, the recent release is NOT compatible with Vista. All we have been told is there will be a patch released when Vista is officially released.

Unfortunately, the majority of people having problems here also own Dells. We haven't determined if it's a Dell problem or not, but it is rather strange that so many Dell owners are having problems with EMC9. I've installed EMC9 on several HPs and Gateways. None of them have had problems.

If you are not having problems, before you put your computer on standby, then have problems with it, after you come out of standby, and rebooting the computer solves the problem, then the answer of what to do when you want to use the software, is obvious.

And reinstalling the software isn't the answer.

It most definitely was on standby and, to answer granpabruce, rebooting didn't solve the problem. After I posted earlier today, I deliberately shut the computer down and left it down until about 10 minutes ago (over 14 hours) and guess what, the spash screen is hanging and the only way to get out of it is to shut down or restart. When I go to the Windows Task Manager and EMC 9 shuts down, I get the message that Video Wave is at fault.

Granpabruce, why don't you think reinstalling the software will solve the problem? If reinstalling won't do it, what can I do? Should I just accept the fact that I spent $100 on a frisbee or coaster? What do you suggest?

I should also add that the EMC 9 was working fine until McAfee did a virus scan. This came installed on my computer and, personally, I prefer Norton which is free with my server. Is it possible that McAfee is the problem?

I'm desperate for suggestions.

Ouch... sounds like McAfee may have quarantined some files needed by EMC9, but I've never heard of anything like this. Unless you did in fact have a virus or something.

Nope, no viruses. But thankfully, my temporary subscription with McAfee expires in about a month. I plan to remove it and install Norton through my server.

About a week ago, I updated McAfee and, as usual, went on standby. About an hour later, I tried to get back on the computer just by clicking the mouse as I usually did, but for some reason nothing happened. I had to hold down the start button for about 10 seconds before the computer restarted. I had to do this twice! Personally, I think Dell made a big mistake going with McAfee. I've used Norton for several years and have never had a problem.

I honestly couldn't say which one - probably one about the time you started to have the problem. IE7 and WMP11 are known to be causing problems as it is (and IE7 was classed as a 'critical' update by MS)

Did you try using the MS Cleaner Utility on McAfee to check for any remnants ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Also try this (free registry cleaning util)

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Tell it to look for McAfee and see if it finds anything

Thanks for the suggestion, however, there were no more McAfee files on my computer. This makes me truly believe that Roxio/Sonic released a program too quickly and don't seem to give a hoot that most of the program's users are having problems. If they cared, they would be offering downloadable fixes. Instead, they've released a deluxe version of a dud and are probably planning to release EMC 10 later this year. I have lost all confidence in Roxio and will never spend another cent on another one of their programs.

Thanks for the suggestion, however, there were no more McAfee files on my computer. This makes me truly believe that Roxio/Sonic released a program too quickly and don't seem to give a hoot that most of the program's users are having problems. If they cared, they would be offering downloadable fixes. Instead, they've released a deluxe version of a dud and are probably planning to release EMC 10 later this year. I have lost all confidence in Roxio and will never spend another cent on another one of their programs.

It true that there are some bugs in EMC 9, as there are in any software. But, Roxio can't offer fixes for computer maintenance problems.

It true that there are some bugs in EMC 9, as there are in any software. But, Roxio can't offer fixes for computer maintenance problems.

I'm not expecting Roxio to offer a fix for my computer maintenance problems, but I don't believe that's what the problem is.

I've just spent the last 2+ hours with this program and have lost my patience with it. Why? Because I opened a VideoWave slide show saved on my old computer and VW wouldn't recognize the location of ANY OF THE PICTURES! So, I had to relocate all the pictures and guess what, VW still wouldn't open and it froze. This took me about 90 minutes. The files were in the same location (on my external drive) as they were when I first created the slide show. As well, for the first 30 or so minutes, the link I used to locate the files was fine and then ALL OF THE SUDDEN it wasn't. I didn't do anything different.

Then, I tried to open a VW slide show that I created last week ... LAST WEEK!!!!! ... and guess what, the pictures couldn't be located. I WAS NOT GOING TO WASTE ANOTHER 90 MINUTES relocating all the pictures only to have it crash again.

So, I've decided to remove this &*)(^ program from my computer and if I can't return it, will reinstall all components EXCEPT VideoWave becuase this is the only one I can't seem to get working properly, and go out and buy another program that will not give me a headache.

I'm still waiting to hear from Roxio's tech support and may end up calling them to find out why VideoWave is such a pain in the butt to work with.

Based on all I have read on this thread and your problems, I really doubt if EMC is really your problem. You have given enough information that would lead anyone to believe that there is some other problem with your other program installations. And that definitely includes McAffee.

I really believe that when a computer gets in as much trouble as yours is in, I would not only have tried a few steps to "clean" some of the problems, but I would have started all over much sooner and dumped the entire contents and completed a brand new install of the operating system. This sounds like a huge problem, but in reality it will solve any problems you had before and is certainly better than having all of the frustrations you have had so far.

I'm not sure where exactly your problem started, but for sure you must have done something or the computer did something by default that caused the problem, as at one time everything worked O.K. and then it didn't. SOMETHING CHANGED and I doubt seriously if it was EMC 9.

I agree that these types of computer problems can really be frustrating but when you get where you are---Start with a CLEAN SYSTEM FIRST.

Frank...

Okay, so I removed McAfee. I removed EMC 9. I installed Norton which is offered thru my ISP. I reinstalled EMC 9. AND GUESS WHAT?

EMC 9 STILL WON'T WORK.

I HAVE WASTED MOST OF THE DAY DOING THIS AND I AM FURIOUS. EXTREMELY ANGRY. TOTALLY P'D OFF. I'M SEEING RED. I HATE, NO DESPISE, THIS PROGRAM. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO WORK ON A PROJECT BUT CONTINUALLY RUN INTO PROBLEMS WITH THIS *)&!@#$%$#$! PROGRAM.

All I'm trying to do is

A - open EMC 9

B - open VideoWave

C - open a video I originally edited in EMC 9 VideoWave

Nothing complicated. Nothing that requires a technical or schooled background. I sent an email to Roxio's tech support and chances are they won't help me either. Can anyone me before I pull out my hair?

And no, I'm not using Windows Vista. I have IE 6.0. I just have a program that won't work on my computer (see below). And what really ticks me off is that Roxio obviously sees that a lot of folks are having problems and yet INSTEAD OF OFFERING A FIX, they release another version. Obviously they don't care about their users and I know that I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER ROXIO PROGRAM AGAIN!

You say you were trying to open a previously edited video, so Videowave must have worked when you did it

What have you done to the computer since you did that - obviously something has happened to make Videowave stop working - the only person who would know that is you, so check as to what you did, what you 'updated' and so on and that's where the answer will be

Sounds like it may be time to do a factory restore and then immediately uninstall McAfee. That way you will have a clean machine to reinstall all of your apps.

Unless you really want one of those high priced programs or until you make a decision on which one, you might try AVG Free. I use it and have had no problems interfering with my programs and so far no viruses. Two were blocked from someone I knew so it does work.

Archived