• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

settings

scubaguy98

Question

Would any of you please take a look at my system info. and let me know if there is anything I can tweak to get faster performance from EMC9. I was told that 1.6GHz probably isnt fast enough and I should get a new CPU. I wont dispute that considering who that advice came from but I dont want to buy a whole new system either. Also I just bought another 1Gig of memory which will bring my RAM up to 1.5GB. Thanks guys.

3 answers to this question

Would any of you please take a look at my system info. and let me know if there is anything I can tweak to get faster performance from EMC9. I was told that 1.6GHz probably isnt fast enough and I should get a new CPU. I wont dispute that considering who that advice came from but I dont want to buy a whole new system either. Also I just bought another 1Gig of memory which will bring my RAM up to 1.5GB. Thanks guys.

Not much else you can do really. What is it you're mostly using EMC9 for? Video? Keep your drive clean and don't use any other programs while the encoding is working. I've got a laptop that I rarely use for video and just leave it on overnight to do any video work.

Increasing your CPU to possibly a dual core Intel one with a higher speed might give some increase in performance, but probably not a lot.

Unfortunately, rendering is a very slow job and your graphics seems more than capable of doing it (and that's what does a lot of the work)

Overall on your system, the one thing I would recommend is a bigger hard drive - 60 GB ain't that much these days (Egad, I recall my very first hard drive on an 8086 being a humungous 20 MB :) ). When you consider that burning a dual layer DVD will take about 8 GB if you save it as an image file first, plus whatever temp files it may create in the process, there's a big chunk of hard drive space gone right away.

Other things - in control panel, system, set for best performance, set pagefile to at least double yopur RAM (3 GB in your case) for both max and min values, shut down any background apps (IMs and so on) - all very tiny gains but they can accumulate to give a less tiny gain :huh:

Not much else you can do really. What is it you're mostly using EMC9 for? Video? Keep your drive clean and don't use any other programs while the encoding is working. I've got a laptop that I rarely use for video and just leave it on overnight to do any video work.

Well I,ve been just capturing my 8mm tapes to the CPU then editing the data and burning to disk. I made a few slideshows set to music with trasitions too. Everything seems to work well but when I go from 1 program to another in EMC9 it could take up to a min. or more to open the application.

Tuff break for the Saints, I was pulling for you guys. I bleed black and gold too, although my gold has a slightly more yellow hue to it!

Archived