• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Faster dvd cd rom drives

scubaguy98

Question

7 answers to this question

That doesn't sound like actual 'burn' time. Was it video? How much video was in the project? That could be typical render time depending on the length of the video.

I'm sure you're right Gary about the rendering time. It was video, I just thought that there was another drive out there faster than my 8x that would burn at a much faster rate. When I made my first video I wasnt paying attention to how much data was going into the production. Before I knew it there was over 8GB that needed burned :) . Needless to say it took over night to write and burn, and never will I put that much info on a disk again.

It is something that Intel developed for single CPUs using multiple 'pipelines' for data inside the CPU. The OS and software has to be rewritten to take advantage of it. As far as I know, WinXP Pro and Media Center do take advantage of hyperthreading and Dual Core. Home Edition does not.

I'm not too sure how that works when the OS is optimized for Dual Core and the software isn't. I'm hoping now that Dual Core is more popular and Vista coming out that we will start seeing more software optimized for the processors,too.

I'm sure you're right Gary about the rendering time. It was video, I just thought that there was another drive out there faster than my 8x that would burn at a much faster rate. When I made my first video I wasnt paying attention to how much data was going into the production. Before I knew it there was over 8GB that needed burned :) . Needless to say it took over night to write and burn, and never will I put that much info on a disk again.

I hope that the DVD movie played in your set top player. Many folks will burn to an ISO file or Folder Set, then burn that to a DVD, using Disc Copier. I prefer the Folder Set route.

Also, I won't burn the production to a DVD at a faster speed than 8X. I have seen a few set top players that actually balked at any "home brew" DVD that was burned faster than 4X. Mine has no problems at 8X, so I don't care about the extra 2 minutes it may take to burn vs burning at 16X.

Archived