• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Microsoft Vista Math Challange

lynn98109

Prices for the OS in the UK range from about £100 for an upgrade version of the Basic package to £249 for a copy of the upgrade to the Ultimate version of Vista.

In the US prices start from $100 (£52) for an upgrade of Vista Home basic to $249 (£127) for the equivelant Ultimate version.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm

It would appear Microsoft is using some software that is unable to differentiate between a British Pound Sterling, and a US$. :)

Lynn

I find it a bit scary that the article says "So-called digital rights management (DRM) technology in Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock you out of your computer. "

I find it a bit scary that the article says "So-called digital rights management (DRM) technology in Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock you out of your computer. "

I keep reading about the DRM problem in Vista and wonder if even MS would have the 'you know whats' to cause more trouble in this. Not saying they won't but it'll happen only if things really go south. And, I just know before too long, someone will have a way around that as well.

I should add that I'm more upset about the broadcast flag issue on upcoming HDTV, whether it's over the air or cable/satellite.

Microsoft (in common with a lot of others) adopted that £1 = $1 in pricing - they get away with it simply because the govt here won't pull them on it and let it continue

DRM - Gates is on record as saying that Blu-Ray HD DVD will be deliberately degraded - other articles are pointing out that Vista will basically be able to shut off your graphics system if it thinks you're watching something you shouldn't

Big Brother isn't watching you - he's moved inside your computer

Microsoft (in common with a lot of others) adopted that £1 = $1 in pricing - they get away with it simply because the govt here won't pull them on it and let it continue

DRM - Gates is on record as saying that Blu-Ray HD DVD will be deliberately degraded - other articles are pointing out that Vista will basically be able to shut off your graphics system if it thinks you're watching something you shouldn't

Big Brother isn't watching you - he's moved inside your computer

Hopefully, I won't ever have to let Vista inside.

What will you do when this software requires it? Don't 7,8,9, require xp? Vista won't be far behind for a 10 or 11!

cd

Rhetorical question? XP has been rock solid for me, and if future versions of video editing software requires the use of Vista, if I have not already upgraded to Vista, it won't happen for video editing software. :)

Get the necessary on-line authorizations and then keep it offline ...? :)

Lynn

That's not going to help if software won't work on the older versions of Windows.

cd has a point. Eventually, (maybe a couple of years from now), if you want to use the current versions of software, people will be forced to buy Windows Vista and the upgraded hardware necessary to run it.

That probably affects those of us who edit video and burn DVDs more than some computer users. We're great consumers of the 'latest and greatest' movie making features which requires newer hardware and newer versions of software (including Windows).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6309651.stm

It would appear Microsoft is using some software that is unable to differentiate between a British Pound Sterling, and a US$. :)

Lynn

Anybody see Billy Gates being interviewed on BBC News at 10pm last night.

When asked about the difference in pricing between US and UK he said it was because of currency fluctuations and other "World Factors".

Some "fluctuation"!!!!!!

The "World Factors" obviously meant "charge what the dumbos will pay". :D

Interesting definitions of "Vista":-

1. "long narrow view as between rows of trees". :D

2. "long succession of remembered or anticipated events" :huh:

"I rest my case".

My local office store had the Ultimate full version for $399 and showed it listing for $499. I believe the upgrade was $259. Believe it or not, they said they were selling the Premium version better than expected. Let's see how long that lasts.

Funny how some stores have to give away stuff to get you to buy it.

I couldn't find XP on the shelves either but I bet they had some in the storage room. :)

Brian - the double price is probably Bill's revenge for the EU anti-trust ruling on DRM implementation. :)

We are supposed to be getting the 'N' Versions

"..These two editions of the operating system will only be available in the European Union and are stripped of all Windows Media-related technologies by decree of an antitrust ruling. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find any mention at all of the so called "N" editions on Microsoft's site..."

Hey - if we send over four portraits of Ben Franklin to someone across the pond, they can send us a copy from there for half price :huh:

Brian - the double price is probably Bill's revenge for the EU anti-trust ruling on DRM implementation. :)

"..These two editions of the operating system will only be available in the European Union and are stripped of all Windows Media-related technologies by decree of an antitrust ruling. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find any mention at all of the so called "N" editions on Microsoft's site..."

Hey - if we send over four portraits of Ben Franklin to someone across the pond, they can send us a copy from there for half price :huh:

Well if you added a higher incentive it could be done. :D

Who can come up with a suitable Acronym for Vista?

How about:-

V ery

I ntrusive

S oftware

T hat's

A nti-Trust

(Eat your heart out Marketing Dept)

Why go any further......you've already got it. Better get it registered fast!

Try 'Ultimate'

1. Being last in a series, process, or progression: “As the ultimate arbiter of the Constitution, the Supreme Court occupies a central place in our scheme of government” (Richard A. Epstein).

2. Fundamental; elemental: an ultimate truth.

1. Of the greatest possible size or significance; maximum: Has the ultimate diamond been found?

2. Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication: the ultimate bicycle.

3. Utmost; extreme: the ultimate insult.

4. Being most distant or remote; farthest. See synonyms at last1.

5. Eventual: hoped for ultimate victory.

I like number one - this mean MS won't be inflicting any more grief on us? :)

Actually, I'm a bit envious that you get the stripped down version 'stripped of all Windows Media-related technologies.'

Actually, I'm a bit envious that you get the stripped down version 'stripped of all Windows Media-related technologies.'

Well Bill got his own back by doubling the price on it - "pay more for less" :)

He probably figured in all the fines he's been hit with by the EU as well

Archived