• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 234 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Mark107

no printing of timing sheet !?!?!?!?

Question

It's fantastic to see many of Jam's features added to Toast, but not being able to print the song/pq list renders it 100% useless to anyone wishing to use it for professional mastering. I know that it is not Roxio's intention that users use Toast for such lofty pursuits, but many mastering engineers been using Jam for years for just such purposes (myself included). To add so much yet leave THIS out is, to say the least, a very strange decision.

Roxio could have dramatically increased their market share of mastering engineers with this update, but instead they will lose ALL of it. Not being able to print a timing sheet makes Toast 8 useless.

How come no one has been burnt at the stake for this?

10 answers to this question

Hi Mark

We've been listening to feedback from many Jam users and understand the concern. I can assure you we're listening but have nothing further to announce at this time.

Hi Mark

We've been listening to feedback from many Jam users and understand the concern. I can assure you we're listening but have nothing further to announce at this time.

I much appreciate that.

Most mastering engineers (pro and not-so-pro) do most/all of their tweaking in other programs. As such, they don't need a "high-end" authoring program to burn discs, they just need something to layout the song order, tweak timings/crossfades, etc., and burn the disc. No need to spend major bucks on a disk burning program. Jam fits the bill for these people. I know of many engineers who use Jam for just this purpose. But without the ability to print a timing sheet, mastering engineers cannot use Toast 8 at all.

I hope this can be resolved very soon. Jam may soon be broken under OS 10.5, and Roxio will undoubtedly lose this base at that time.

Thanks - Mark

I have to chime in here as well. The lack of printing PQ lists KILLS THIS APP DEAD for thousands of pro users. All CD duplication plants require PQ lists with master CDs.

After you fix this show stopping problem, can you also bring back cmd-L for preview track? It was very helpful.

Thanks you very much for listening!

Will Russell

Electric Wilburland Studio

http://www.wilburland.com

Agree - such a simple feature to implement, can't uderstand why it was dropped out. Please add it back.

JAM 5.0.1 still works for me under OS 10.4.8. Let's hope it continues to work in 10.5, or Roxio fiexes it before then

So, I am preparing a master for a client, and of course I have bought every version of Toast and Jam for what must be a decade now, and even still Roxio totally stiffed me on their bait-and-switch rebate scam for Toast 8, but in any event, I cannot find the place where the "new, improved, porofessional" Toast 8 allows me to print the timing sheet that my manufactuer requires. This was quite simple in Jam. I look and I look and finally come to this forum where I learn that this simple but essential feature has not been implemented, nor is there an update for Jam. The old version of Jam I have spontaneoulsy quits on my computer, presumably due to a Quicktime incompatibility. So, I am f***ed.

Roxio tech support (robotic and otherwise) seems unrersponsive.

Does anyone from Roxio read these forums?

So, I am preparing a master for a client, and of course I have bought every version of Toast and Jam for what must be a decade now, and even still Roxio totally stiffed me on their bait-and-switch rebate scam for Toast 8, but in any event, I cannot find the place where the "new, improved, porofessional" Toast 8 allows me to print the timing sheet that my manufactuer requires. This was quite simple in Jam. I look and I look and finally come to this forum where I learn that this simple but essential feature has not been implemented, nor is there an update for Jam. The old version of Jam I have spontaneoulsy quits on my computer, presumably due to a Quicktime incompatibility. So, I am f***ed.

Roxio tech support (robotic and otherwise) seems unrersponsive.

Does anyone from Roxio read these forums?

The people who make these decisions are perhaps not as in touch with their user base as they might think.

Toast 8 is not meant to replace or have the full feature set of Jam. Printing won't be added.

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/toast8/#follow

Jam

We asked if Toast 8 was intended as a replacement for Jam. Fingerman responds:

Although we have migrated all of the best features of Jam into Toast 8 - it's not meant to be a 1:1 replacement. We believe the prosumer/pro market for audio CD mastering previously served by Jam is now well served with several products from Apple, BIAS and SonicStudio, and where we could make a difference is by bringing some of these features to the mainstream through Toast.

[...]

Plus, Toast 8 adds things that were never in Jam, such as the Audio Unit effects support. We have no plans for any further updates to Jam, but as you noted in your review, we have an upgrade path from Jam 6 to Toast 8 via an instant discount."

VERY VERY LAME.

How hard is it to add PQ printing? GIMME A BREAK!

Another classic example of a corporate buyout resulting in the death of a great app.

I will happily cease to support Sonic Solutions/Roxio for being so stupid and disrespectful of it's professional users.

a VERY disgruntled user...

Toast 8 is not meant to replace or have the full feature set of Jam. Printing won't be added.

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/toast8/#follow

Jam

We asked if Toast 8 was intended as a replacement for Jam. Fingerman responds:

Although we have migrated all of the best features of Jam into Toast 8 - it's not meant to be a 1:1 replacement. We believe the prosumer/pro market for audio CD mastering previously served by Jam is now well served with several products from Apple, BIAS and SonicStudio, and where we could make a difference is by bringing some of these features to the mainstream through Toast.

[...]

Plus, Toast 8 adds things that were never in Jam, such as the Audio Unit effects support. We have no plans for any further updates to Jam, but as you noted in your review, we have an upgrade path from Jam 6 to Toast 8 via an instant discount."

Well, I have to say that I totally agree on the timming sheet print issue. Why was this feature excluded??? I just convinced my boss to upgrade to ver. 8 because of better integration with audio CD/ROM content alias Enhanced CD option. I do a lot of premastering and really need to print timming sheets.

A little workaround for now is copy content in disc info and paste it into a spread sheet. Nothing like a simple print out, but it will work.

Besides that Roxio: What is the "Erase disc" and "save as" in the disc info window about? They are always dimmed out??? Would be nice to generate a properly formatted .txt file for print out and would solve the print issue completely...