MarcP

Vista Error

Question

I get this message now when starting Vista after the Media Creator 9 install.

This driver is blocked due to compatibility issues.

Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take.

Driver: Sonic Slutions DLA

Publisher: Sonic Solutions

A driver is installed that causes stability problems wiht your system. the driver will be disabled, Please

contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of windows.

There is no online solution and Roxio support site is useless.

Edited by MarcP

Hard to say what is in add/remove programs in Vista. What I did notice (and hated in RC1 and 2) was the old trick of removing 'hide' in sysoc.inf didn't work any more so we were stuck with all that stuff we neither used nor wanted.

Me - I prefer an OS that lets me tell it what to do rather than one that tells me what I'm not allowed to do :)

Uninstall Sonic DLA. It will conflict with EMC 9's Drag to Disc.

I did uninstall all Sonic stuff but I thought the DLA comes with Media Center 9 since I do not have any other Sonic programs. I also uninstalled Drag To Disc.

This problem did not happen after the inital intall, it started a week after. Yes, I was able to buy a legal copy 10 days before the release.

Edited by MarcP

It looks more and more like a bug in the installer - it seems that it is installing if the OS isn't XP.

Best thing is to remove it if it does install and hopefully this will be fixed - unfortunately, too late for anyone who has already got a copy

Yeah I knew XP's was session only, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Vista would include packet writing also. Probably just bad memory on my part. At least they added sessions for DVD.

Larry: No your memory is fine, Vista does include Packet Writing within the OS. Stas posted about it in this thread, Here?.

Note: Stas is one of the core that wrote the specs on the UDF file system! Had some interesting IM discussions with him.

Also Note: UDF and Packet Writing are two separate subjects! Packet Writing utilizes the UDF file system but UDF by itself does not imply packet writing. The 2 terms are not interchangeable…

Hi. I'm having the same problem. I did a clean install of Vista & then installed Office 2007, ran update to get the updates. I installed Roxio EMC9. Everything seemed fine. No errors on reboot. I then in stalled the flash player (needed to install next item), Money 2006 and Adobe Reader 8. I believe I rebooted after Money but can't be sure. I know I rebooted after the Adobe Reader and now I have the error about a driver being blocked due to compatability issues (Sonic DLA). I never installed it and it's not listed in my programs list. What do I do to fix this problem?

Lisa

This is being worked on - it's a known issue that has cropped up since the Vista release.

Does the warning come up every time you boot or did it just occur during the installation of EMC9?

DLA is a Sonic program for older OSs and shouldn't have gone in but it seems to have had its own ideas about that

This is being worked on - it's a known issue that has cropped up since the Vista release.

Does the warning come up every time you boot or did it just occur during the installation of EMC9?

DLA is a Sonic program for older OSs and shouldn't have gone in but it seems to have had its own ideas about that

Hi. It seems to be every time. I decided to use system restore to go back to right after installing EMC9. I then somehow lost my drag to disc so I did a repair install of EMC9. I rebooted and got my drag to disc back and the error about DLA. I looked in the installed programs list and there's nothing Sonic or DLA listed. I then went into the section that shows what Windows componenets are installed and there's nothing there. I did a search and found DLA.exe signed by Sonic in my Windows folder.

I'd uninstall it if I could or at the very least disable it from running. I looked in msconfig and there's nothing that says Sonic or DLA. (Also nothing is listed in the startup folder.) If I just ignore the error, will my drag to disc still work properly?

Also I have the following Roxio items running in msconfig: CommonSKD (RoxWatchTray9.exe), DMXLauncher.exe and Drag to disc. I know what the drag to disc is obviously and I assume that if I use it, that I need to have it running. What are the other two items? I do notice "Media Manager Services" running in the taskbar. I tried to find where to disable it in the program but there's nothing there. I did find out how to stop it from watching the folders. I don't use this program (as far as I know) and would like it removed. Are one of those items in msconfig related to this? Do I even need either of them running?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa

disabling roxwatchtray should disable Media Manager - it stops the folder watching for new media

DLA - you could try removing the exe file - I can't be 100% certain on that and I'd hesitate recommending any registry editing in Vista really but DLA removal shouldn't affect D2D

Hopefully someone will come up with an idea on the DLA issue soon

You could try disabling D2D from start up. You can sttill call it if needed from the start menu if you really want to use it - personally I avoid it like the plague as it's about as reliable as an igloo in the Sahara for backup purposes (and the same goes for any packet writing software including DLA and InCD)

disabling roxwatchtray should disable Media Manager - it stops the folder watching for new media

DLA - you could try removing the exe file - I can't be 100% certain on that and I'd hesitate recommending any registry editing in Vista really but DLA removal shouldn't affect D2D

Hopefully someone will come up with an idea on the DLA issue soon

You could try disabling D2D from start up. You can sttill call it if needed from the start menu if you really want to use it - personally I avoid it like the plague as it's about as reliable as an igloo in the Sahara for backup purposes (and the same goes for any packet writing software including DLA and InCD)

I'll give that a try. Any idea what the DMXLauncher does?

So I don't need to have the D2D running all the time as long as I remember to click on it prior to needing it. I admit I do use it on both my computer & my husband's laptop (used DLA previously). I do use it to backup my documents, money files, etc onto DVDRW discs. But I also periodically (every 3 or 4 months) burn backups to either CDR or DVDR. I haven't done this yet with EMC9 so I'm not sure which program I would use. There is so much more in EMC9 compared to the basic Dell branded program that I used to use, so I am a little confused.

If I just remove the DLA file, won't it still be called for when I reboot?

Lisa

So I don't need to have the D2D running all the time as long as I remember to click on it prior to needing it. I admit I do use it on both my computer & my husband's laptop (used DLA previously). I do use it to backup my documents, money files, etc onto DVDRW discs. But I also periodically (every 3 or 4 months) burn backups to either CDR or DVDR. I haven't done this yet with EMC9 so I'm not sure which program I would use. There is so much more in EMC9 compared to the basic Dell branded program that I used to use, so I am a little confused.

No, D2D does not have to be running at all times. I took it out of my startup programs a while ago in WinXP. I'm getting the same problem as you, Lisa. Since installing Vista Home Premium yesterday, every time I boot, I get an error that there is an incompatible driver installed and it should be removed. That driver is identified as Sonic Solutions DLA. According to the Programs & Features list (called Add/Remove Programs, in WinXP), DLA is not installed. I had originally uninstalled DLA when I installed EMC8, I believe. I'm stumped in regard to what to do about DLA.

The new problem is that upon trying to open EMC9 (which worked flawlessly in WinXP), I get a message stating that, "Your trial version of EMC9 has expired." It was NEVER a trial version! I bought and installed EMC9 from a factory DVD!

I don't want to try a re-install of EMC9 at this point but I'm hung up here, big time.

The new problem is that upon trying to open EMC9 (which worked flawlessly in WinXP), I get a message stating that, "Your trial version of EMC9 has expired." It was NEVER a trial version! I bought and installed EMC9 from a factory DVD!

I don't want to try a re-install of EMC9 at this point but I'm hung up here, big time.

I didn't think it had to be running but was never 100% sure. I only use it once every week or so.

Bummer on the trial version problem. I haven't had that problem yet. I purchase my copy directly from Roxio via the old program I was running. It was on sale and I go the discount for upgrading.

How do you like Vista so far? I'll be trying to figure out where they moved things for a while, but I do like it.

I'm definately being very careful installing my programs. Only one or two and a system restore point created before hand. So far have only had two problems. 1st one was when I installed my video drivers. Shouldn't have done it as they didn't have a Vista version and the drivers that Vista installed were working fine. Learned my lesson on that one. I'm leaving my video, sound & TV card the way Vista set them up.

Lisa

How do you like Vista so far?

So far, I like Vista a lot. The only hangups seem to be 1) the Sonic Solutions DLA incompatible driver problem and 2) the EMC9 saying it's an expired trial version.

Update: I tried using the Repair function on EMC9. After seeming to re-install, I got the following error message:

Error 1904.

Module C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared\SonicMC01\sonich264dec_dmo.dll failed to register. HRESULT - 2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

Not a happy camper, here.

Edited by SgtRich

In November ? Well it's good to hear that it's being addressed !

Silver,

I'd suggest you either get glases or an up to date calendar

Vista was released on 30th January - NOT November

Rich - Regarding the 'trial version'. All I can really suggest here is a complete uninstall followed by a sweep with MS Cleanup Util to remove all traces of Roxio and try again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Lisa - the DMXLauncher could be disabled too with no ill-effects

Lisa - the DMXLauncher could be disabled too with no ill-effects

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. I hope they get the other issue figured out soon as I'm already getting tired of seeing that darn error.

Lisa

I think we need a cleanup tool from Roxio for that - a patch won't do it (or I don't think it will). I've been in contact and asked for something to be made available

I'd suggest you either get glases or an up to date calendar

Vista was released on 30th January - NOT November

... and I would respectfully suggest that you check your facts before replying with snide remarks! Vista was released to manufacturers in November, but to the general public on 30th January. The idea is that manufacturers and developers have access to the software months before launch, giving them plenty of time to develop their software and drivers to work prior to the public launch. Waiting for the public launch, and for users to have all of these errors, is no good. I had a Beta version of Vista months and months ago (as a home user), and was sent an RTM version (legally) in November. So for software companies to be at a point in time several days past the _general public_ launch with no resolution to these errors is surely embarrasing on their part. All decent software providers have had "Vista Beta" versions of their software and drivers up on their websites for weeks/months!

In case you don't believe me (and Silver...), here is the link about the release date.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feature...08VistaRTM.mspx

Russ.

Edited by Russell Fray

I just want to let everyone know that we are looking into this and we hope to have a simple way to remove the DLA software soon. As far as Vista compatibility goes, EMC 9 was written to be fully compatible with Vista. As Vista evolved from RC 1 to RC 2 and now the final release, many changes were made in Vista itself and we have to adjust a couple of things so that everything will work properly. As was stated, this isnt an overnight thing, but we are working on it as priority 1.

I just want to let everyone know that we are looking into this and we hope to have a simple way to remove the DLA software soon. As far as Vista compatibility goes, EMC 9 was written to be fully compatible with Vista. As Vista evolved from RC 1 to RC 2 and now the final release, many changes were made in Vista itself and we have to adjust a couple of things so that everything will work properly. As was stated, this isnt an overnight thing, but we are working on it as priority 1.

Thanks John. Any "guesstimate" on a release date for a DLA removal tool? Are we potentially looking at weeks/months, or more like hours/days?

At present my Vista PC is just about unusable as the DLA error pops up in the middle of the screen every 5 seconds and can't be disabled, and my DVD drive is disabled as a result so I cannot install software.

At my office, 4 people have installed Vista. Three of us on Dells (me on laptop, two on desktop), and another on a toshiba laptop. ALL four of us have had this same problem. This is a HUGE issue and there will be thousands of people all over the world looking for a solution. I appreciate it is number 1 issue for your company... set up a Paypal "developer overtime / pizza fund" and I'll gladly donate a few pounds if it means it'll get sorted quicker.

Thanks,

Russ.

Russ, since I don't have the problem you're having, and this is a guess, uninstalling Drag to Disc which should be listed separately, and see if that helps. I never did get this message but I uninstalled D2D right after the EMC install.

Update:

Roxio is currently working on a resolution to this issue. The error, while annoying, will not effect Easy Media Creator 9's functionality. However, if you wish to eliminate the error, the only work around at this time is to temporarily remove the update. If you wish to reinstall the update at any time, the Microsoft Knowledge Base article offers a link to re-download it.

Please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update before continuing. Removing this update may effect other applications on your computer.

To remove the update:

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.

On the left of the Programs and Features window, click View installed updates.

After the Installed Updates window loads, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows payne.

Right-click Update for Microsoft Windows (KB929427) and select Uninstall.

Rather than restart your system, shut it down completely and then reboot. The error should be eliminated.

Not sure if this will actually help anyone but I have been running Vista Enterprise since it's release to busniesses in December. I installed EMC 9 immediately and have had no issues, other than an original install prob which was resolved by a reboot. I am getting the same DLA problem as the other users here but only since the Vista updates of a couple of days ago.

Good luck with the fix and please post it soon so we can loose the legacy.

So from the last two posts it sounds like the culprit may be an update MS put out in the last few days. I'll bet it's hard for a company to anticipate what code changes are in those from what the initial release had in it.

Hi Larry,

thats why John has asked them to remove this patch (fix or update) as it seems to be the one causing the issues at this stage... it seems to have stopped it on my test unit pc after i removed it and rebooted