• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

capone

DLA and Windows Vista

Question

Okay so I have just discovered (after a great download and upgrade to Windows Vista) that the Roxio Creator MyDVD Combo LE (which came with my Dell) is not compatible. Well at least the DLA is not. Everything is great except for this little DLA bugger! I uninstalled the program, folders, etc. but I can't get the DLA out of my remove program section and I keep getting the error message everytime I restart my computer. I can only figure it's in the registry somewhere but I don't know how to get to it or get it out! Now that the final release of Vista is here, can someone help me with this problem or at least a "patch" so it can work with Vista. Thanks for the help.

Gabriel

Okay so I have just discovered (after a great download and upgrade to Windows Vista) that the Roxio Creator MyDVD Combo LE (which came with my Dell) is not compatible. Well at least the DLA is not. Everything is great except for this little DLA bugger! I uninstalled the program, folders, etc. but I can't get the DLA out of my remove program section and I keep getting the error message everytime I restart my computer. I can only figure it's in the registry somewhere but I don't know how to get to it or get it out! Now that the final release of Vista is here, can someone help me with this problem or at least a "patch" so it can work with Vista. Thanks for the help.

Gabriel

Check with Dell as its their OEM version of Roxio.

Anyone else?

Don't think it's likely Dell will put out an update or patch for this 'lite' version but depending on how long ago you got your system, it might be worth a shout to Dell.....have you tried that suggestion yet?

Don't think it's likely Dell will put out an update or patch for this 'lite' version but depending on how long ago you got your system, it might be worth a shout to Dell.....have you tried that suggestion yet?

You are correct. PLUS I now have windows vista and they won't help me cuz it's not the originating operating system. I think it's pretty rotten that Roxio/Sonic doesn't help. I just want the whole thing out of my computer.

Unfortunately, support for the Dell modified version of DLA is totally down to Dell. They will try to shift blame but it's their baby

This may be true - but all I want to do is uninstall it. I am not looking for an updated version or anything clever. The driver quite clearly says "Publisher : Sonic Solutions". Therefore, Sonic Solutions must be liable to tell us how to uninstall it, regardless of which hardware or "version" we have.

At present, my DVD drive is not working at all (it was briefly, until the DLA error popped up a minute or so after the installation completed). I cannot get rid of the error - it says it is incompatible, but when I close/cancel the window it just pops right back up again.

I don't want DLA - so Sonic Solutions, how do I get rid of your software/driver please...?

This may be true - but all I want to do is uninstall it. I am not looking for an updated version or anything clever. The driver quite clearly says "Publisher : Sonic Solutions". Therefore, Sonic Solutions must be liable to tell us how to uninstall it, regardless of which hardware or "version" we have.

At present, my DVD drive is not working at all (it was briefly, until the DLA error popped up a minute or so after the installation completed). I cannot get rid of the error - it says it is incompatible, but when I close/cancel the window it just pops right back up again.

I don't want DLA - so Sonic Solutions, how do I get rid of your software/driver please...?

If you have a OEM version, Sonic Solutions is not responsible it is the OEM provider.

Read this http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...mation/000036GN

Edited by ogdens

You are correct. PLUS I now have windows vista and they won't help me cuz it's not the originating operating system. I think it's pretty rotten that Roxio/Sonic doesn't help. I just want the whole thing out of my computer.

I don't have any answer for your problem but am curious. Was this Vista version one that Dell sent you as an upgrade to a system you just purchased or something you did yourself? If this was part of their 'upgrade' package when you bought your system, they should support the new operating system.

Gabriel

You said you uninstalled the program.Did you uninstall Roxio creator or did you uninstall Sonic DLA?If you did Roxio you might try looking for Sonic Dla and uninstalling that.If that's what you did then you might try going to Microsoft's website and downloading and running the Microsoft Install Cleanup Utility.See if you have any entries for what you have already uninstalled.

You also said "I can only figure it's in the registry somewhere".If that's what you think then you can always open regedit,go to Edit,Find and type in sonic and delete all the keys you find.I have to warn you to use extreme caution if you try this.Make sure to back up the registry first before attempting this.Also if you have any other Sonic apps on your machine you need to be careful you don't delete keys referring to them.I would try this as a last ditch effort.

Edited by tbrewst

If you have a OEM version, Sonic Solutions is not responsible it is the OEM provider.

Read this http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...mation/000036GN

I don't believe that link implies that Dell should be liable at all. All I want to know is how to remove DLA from my laptop. Pretend it's not Dell then - how would I do it? :) I can only assume that the answer of "it is Dell's problem" means that there is no generic "Sonic Answer" which would work regardless of the machine, hence the buck passing?

:huh:

Actually Russell it's Dell passing the buck - the normal setup for OEM stuff ever since I started computing has been that the OEM is responsible for what they supply as the software is modified to suit them and at their request. They also agree to provide support

Dell like to pretend they aren't - and try tossing it back (but then, trying to get sense from some of the 'helplines' is another story and books could be written on that) :)

Anyway - aside from that - DLA is incompatible with Vista and shouldn't be there so anyone running the plain version of that is advised NOT to install it

The DLA bundled with EMC9 is a different matter and is being looked into

You might try looking at the reply I left for capone and see if any of that helps.

So, does anyone know how to uninstall Sonic DLA after you install Windows Vista? I have tried running the uninstall but even that says it is an unsupported driver and will not run the uninstall!

I have seen several posts saying that Windows Vista would not install until they removed Sonic DLA but it let me install Windows Vista.

Anyone? :)

You need to see this: :)

Sorry,the smiley is the link.

Edited by tbrewst

FWIW,

I also updated to Vista the other day and had a similar problem with DLA,

I ran across this clunky method related to manually removing DLA from XP but appears to be workable with Vista once you sort out the locations, but be warned, not for the faint of heart.

Solution

WARNING!- This will remove DLA completely.

Note: These instructions apply specifically to Windows XP.

To perform a clean reinstallation of DLA.

1) Uninstall the current copy of DLAusing the "Add/Remove Programs," control panel.

2) Delete the "DLA," folder from your Program Files folder. (By default this is located inside:

C:\Program Files\Sonic\)

3) Edit the Registry to remove entries relating specifically to DLA. (As a precaution, please export

any registry entries before deleting them.)

a. To start the Registry Editor, click on "Start," click on to "Run," type "regedit," and click "OK."

b. Open the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" folder. (If this folder does not exist, proceed to step f.)

c. Open the "Software" folder.

d. Open the "Sonic" folder.

e. Right-click on the "Direct Access" folder and select delete.

f. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sonic.

g. Right-click on the "Direct Access" folder and select delete.

h. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

i. Right-click on the "{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}" folder and select delete.

(This data for the "Default," setting in this folder should be "DriveLetterAccess.")

j. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products.

k. Right-click on the "29FE602138E2958RCABC02843CBCD76A" folder and select delete.

l. Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\

m. Right-click on the "VERITAS.DLAEventHandler" folder and select delete.

n. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID.

o. Right-click on the "{5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890}" folder and select delete.

(This data for the "Default," setting in this folder should be "DriveLetterAccess.")

p. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes.

q. Right-click on the "VERITAS.DLAEventHandler" folder and select delete.

r. Got to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg.

s. Right-click on the "dla" folder and select delete.

t. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\Handlers.

u. Right-click on "VxDlaCdOnArrival" and select delete.

v. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

w. Right-click on the "{1206EF92-2E83-4859-ACCB-2048C3CB7DA6}" folder and select delete.

4) Restart your computer.

5) Delete the "DLA," folder from the System32 folder. (This is located inside: C:\Windows\System32)

6) Reinstall DLA. Note this set is whether your current version is compatable with Vista

Good Luck, note on my install, the Sonic folder was label Veritas, may have been related to the version.

In case this helps, I've had the same problem and, after a lot of trouble, managed to remove DLA using a relatively simple method as documented here. Mine was the OEM version of Sonic provided by HP.

Still looking for help to remove DLA on Vista. After trying a myriad of suggested solutions (I haven't removed the MS update yet!), I am left with:

- Roxio cannot be unistalled in Vista

- Roxio DLA deleted from Add/Remove, using MS Install Cleanup Utility but the rest is still remains on the PC

- I cannot uninstall in Safe Mode using MS Win Installer Utility (SAFEmsi.exe) as it is now not in Add/Remove anymore

- I cannot re install Roxio DLA in Safe Mode using MS Win Installer (SAFEmsi.exe), so I cannot then remove it

- Reg Edits have only given me grief so far.

People have suggested Reg Edits for XP....has anyone got the Reg Edits for Vista Home Premium...my only hope...

Thanks in advance

Still looking for help to remove DLA on Vista. After trying a myriad of suggested solutions (I haven't removed the MS update yet!), I am left with:

- Roxio cannot be unistalled in Vista

- Roxio DLA deleted from Add/Remove, using MS Install Cleanup Utility but the rest is still remains on the PC

- I cannot uninstall in Safe Mode using MS Win Installer Utility (SAFEmsi.exe) as it is now not in Add/Remove anymore

- I cannot re install Roxio DLA in Safe Mode using MS Win Installer (SAFEmsi.exe), so I cannot then remove it

- Reg Edits have only given me grief so far.

People have suggested Reg Edits for XP....has anyone got the Reg Edits for Vista Home Premium...my only hope...

Thanks in advance

Horray a fix has been made!

http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe run this which will uninstall DLA for you, let it install and reboot, no more warnings!

You can also remove this after it has killed the DLA warnings...

AT LAST :)

Rich, a 15.0MB patch seems a little large just to remove DLA from Vista? And I cannot seem to find it mentioned on the official Roxio website....What does it do and where did it come from?

Thanks...

If I may ask Rich,how did you come upon this patch?

Hi,

I found this after many hours of searching this problem, yes i found it on dells site as roxio obviously don't care enough to publish this...

Yes, 15mb is a big patch, it is actually a patch to update 'drag to disc', but as I said before it will allow you to remove DLA no matter what attempts have been made to uninstall it before, I tried the XP reg changes and managed to kill vista bad enough to require fixing via booting from the DVD.

Both DLA and drag to disc can be removed after the error has been cleared.

As long as it works to stop the errors, 15mb is a small price to pay, I'm happy :), very happy!!!

Hope it works for you all.

Edited by richT

What puzzles me is that while you may have found it on the Dell website - it's actually on the Roxio server.

It caught all of us by surprise as no-one else seems to know a thing about it

Woo Hoo, I just tried this patch on my Toshiba running Vista Premium and it worked great. No more darn, irritable warning popping up. Woo Hoo

Thank you so much Rich, This cured my problem that i have been having for weeks....whats up with Roxio, they make a patch and don't tell anyone about it, just the same as their tech support....Terrible.....Thank you again.