• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Thinking of getting a new Vista PC? you may need this tool

The Highlander

Many people with older windows 2000 and windows XP computers face an issue once they decide to go on a new Vista system.

Q: How do i get all my info over to the new PC?

Well there is always the burn 100's of DVDs and Cd's?

or you can use this....

I was trying to find a simple way to do this and i came upon this little tool from Microsoft.

Windows Easy Transfer for Windows XP and Windows 2000

Brief Description

Download Windows Easy Transfer for your Windows XP or Windows 2000 based PC so you can automatically copy your files, photos, music, email, settings, and more to your new Windows Vista based PC. This software enables you to transfer data with Easy Transfer Cables (Windows 2000 not supported) or across a network, external drive, or CD/DVD.

Overview

This software installs Windows Easy Transfer on a Windows XP or Windows 2000 based PC. This software is already built into Windows Vista, so it is not necessary to install it on a Windows Vista based PC. Windows Easy Transfer enables you to automatically copy your files, photos, music, email, settings, and more to your new Windows Vista based PC. This makes it much easier to setup your new computer with all your personal data and settings. This software provides support for transfering data with Easy Transfer Cables (Windows 2000 not supported) or across a network, external drive, or CD/DVD. As an alternative to downloading, Windows Easy Transfer can be installed from the CD that came with your Easy Transfer Cable, or by following the directions in the Windows Vista version of Windows Easy Transfer on how to copy the program to Windows XP or Windows 2000. Note: Settings will not be transferred if moving from Windows 2000.

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit

Windows Easy Transfer supports the following operating systems:

1) Windows 2000 SP4 to Windows Vista (Data Transfers Only)

2) Windows XP SP2 to Windows Vista

3) Windows Vista to Windows Vista

Windows Easy Transfer supports transfers via any one of the following methods:

1) USB Easy Transfer Cable (Windows 2000 is not supported)

2) Network connection

3) Removable media (such as a USB flash drive or external hard disk)

4) CD or DVD

Additional Information

You can transfer files and settings using a network share, or transfer files and settings using removable media such as CD/DVD, or an external hard drive.

Windows Easy Transfer does not migrate installed applications.

Both computers must support the transfer method you choose. For example, if you write the data to CD or DVD, the destination computer must also have a CD or DVD drive. If you choose to transfer the data across the network, both computers must be connected on the same network.

Anyhow its found here....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...ylang=en&tm

Orrrr...

1. Use Windows' transfer files and setting wizard over a network.
  2. Use an external hard drive
  3. slave the old hard drive to the new PC via internal connection, USB adaptaer, or enclosure.
  4. use any one of a billion and three migration programs
  5. Just restore your backup on to the new system (because I know you dillegently make regular backups of your important data, right? RIGHT?)

Oh there's no shortage of apps available - try Gimp sometime (there is a doze version). K3B ain't a bad burning program, Open Office.Org is way up there too (also available for doze),

And, just to see if it could be done, I have VMWare running Win98SE in a shell with ECD6 installed and working

Not forgetting over half the Internet runs on Apache :)

Archived