• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Media CEnter and EMC9

rezadue

Question

Currently, my MCE PC only gives me the option to burn a DVR-MS format DVD which is not playable in any DVD player. I was told that if I install Sonic PrimeTime I could get the option of burning to a format playable by all DVD players.

Sonic primetime is no longer available for sale. Can I accomplish the same with EMC9 or another product?

Thanks

17 answers to this question

Sorry about the typo. I meant to say MCE PC, which would be a Windows XP Media Center PC.

It is tough typing with one hand while you are holding an infant with the other.

Could be this

The PSX features either a 160 GB or 250 GB hard drive to record television shows, home movies, digital photos, or to play PlayStation 2 titles (including those requiring the PlayStation 2 Hard Disk Drive). The PSX can be linked with the portable PSP device to transfer videos and music. There is also the indication that the PSX will be linked with the PlayStation 3, meaning that existing PSX owners will not be left out. This could possibly mean that the base version of the PS3 would connect to the PSX to form the “home server” version of the PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(DVR)

Sorry about the typo. I meant to say MCE PC, which would be a Windows XP Media Center PC.

It is tough typing with one hand while you are holding an infant with the other.

Good point - nearly as bad as an insistent cat. It did have us all scratching our heads tho :)

However - the media in the drive is set by the drive. Every disc has a small info track that tells the drive firmware what type it is and what it's max burn speed is

If your drive can only handle one specific type of disc, that won't change no matter what program you use.

You could try a firmware update if there is one, but to be honest, I've neverv heard of DVR-MS discs - DVD-R, +R and DVD-RAM are about all (and RAM won't play in a DVD player)

OK - just checked - DVR-MS isn't a disc format - it's a Media Centre file format.

What you will need to do is to convert those to avi or mpg and then use EMC to render them to DVD. There's one here

http://www.soft29.com/dvr_ms_converter.html

DVR-MS files are supported in EMC9 and you should have no problems importing them into MyDVD or Videowave. I believe it first tells you it needs to convert the file before importing but it work fine.

I have read that some have had lucking renaming the file to mpg but I don't see why that's needed in EMC9.

OK - just checked - DVR-MS isn't a disc format - it's a Media Centre file format.

What you will need to do is to convert those to avi or mpg and then use EMC to render them to DVD. There's one here

Eaxctly. But what I was lead to believe is that you could do a direct burn of DVR-MS format movies to an MPEG2 DVD using Sonic Primetime, while in MCE. What I wanted to know was, since PrimeTime is no longer available, is there another Roxio/Sonic product that can accomplish the same task?

Eaxctly. But what I was lead to believe is that you could do a direct burn of DVR-MS format movies to an MPEG2 DVD using Sonic Primetime, while in MCE. What I wanted to know was, since PrimeTime is no longer available, is there another Roxio/Sonic product that can accomplish the same task?

Roxio EMC9 can but I don't know what you mean by 'direct burn'. You would first take the dvr-ms file into MyDVD, which will convert it and you can then add any menus (if desired) and burn to disc or to a folder and image file.

You might still be able to find Primetime on eBay but you may also find EMC9 has many more programs included that you could use which Primetime does not.

Are either of these visible within the MCE shell, or are they standalone apps which run in XP?

I am looking for the former, not the latter.

DVR-MS files are supported in EMC9 and you should have no problems importing them into MyDVD or Videowave. I believe it first tells you it needs to convert the file before importing but it work fine.

I have read that some have had lucking renaming the file to mpg but I don't see why that's needed in EMC9.

Are either of these visible within the MCE shell, or are they standalone apps which run in XP? I am looking for the former, not the latter.
Sorry, these are all stand alone applications and are not integrated into the MCE interface.

The dvr-ms format is a propietary format and must be converted before burning to a video DVD regardless of what application you use. Perhaps Sonic's Primetime did some sort of conversion on the fly.

Anyway, MyDVD handles dv-ms files easily.

Currently, my MCE PS only gives me the option to burn a DVR-MS format DVD which is not playable in any DVD player. I was told that if I install Sonic PrimeTime I could get the option of burning to a format playable by all DVD players.

Sonic primetime is no longer available for sale. Can I accomplish the same with EMC9 or another product?

Thanks

Sorry, I know what MCE is but what is the PS ?

EMC 9 will allow you to burn non-protected video files to a DVD that will play on most, if not all DVD players. It will also do a lot more.

Could be this

The PSX features either a 160 GB or 250 GB hard drive to record television shows, home movies, digital photos, or to play PlayStation 2 titles (including those requiring the PlayStation 2 Hard Disk Drive). The PSX can be linked with the portable PSP device to transfer videos and music. There is also the indication that the PSX will be linked with the PlayStation 3, meaning that existing PSX owners will not be left out. This could possibly mean that the base version of the PS3 would connect to the PSX to form the “home server” version of the PS3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(DVR)

Archived