Video Freeze in Preview/DVD

Jerry1958

Question

I am editing video of my basketball team's game when viewing in the timeline. At several intervals where I want to add narration (on the music line) and notes or objects (arrows) in Fx, I pause then split the clip and insert a still frame image which I extracted from the video. My objective is to provide my players with a DVD they can watch and learn from (what they are doing right and wrong).

I encounter several problems in this process I would appreciate assistance/advice with.

1. When I am in the Production Editor: Timeline mode and select Play, the video freezes in places and lags behind the audio.

2. When I select Back To Menu and select Preview, the video also freezes at times. Adding a transition between the still frame and video and ramping down the time of the transition as low as possible (0.37 sec) so it is nearly unnoticed seems to help but not always.

3. When I burn the DVD the video also freezes in places when transitioning from a still frame to a video. When it encounters a transition from one clip to another or from a clip to a still frame image, the subsequent video then will start to display again.

4. My project has captured video which I have split into about 30 clips with either a transition or still frame image separating them. The video freezes on about 4-5 of the clips and not always the same ones. My narration (on music line) and Fx are all on the timeline sync'd with the still frames.

5. I have also noticed that the narration option captures sound that has lots of skips so I don't use this option and instead use Sound Editor then import the track onto the music line.

Any hints to why my project won't play in preview or burn to DVD without freezing randomly on 1 out of every 5 or 6 clips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Dell Precision M70 Intel Pent M

2GB/533MHz DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB Dimms

2.00GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256MB OpenGL

7200 RPM 8X DVD+/RW

1 answer to this question

I am editing video of my basketball team's game when viewing in the timeline. At several intervals where I want to add narration (on the music line) and notes or objects (arrows) in Fx, I pause then split the clip and insert a still frame image which I extracted from the video. My objective is to provide my players with a DVD they can watch and learn from (what they are doing right and wrong).

I encounter several problems in this process I would appreciate assistance/advice with.

1. When I am in the Production Editor: Timeline mode and select Play, the video freezes in places and lags behind the audio.

2. When I select Back To Menu and select Preview, the video also freezes at times. Adding a transition between the still frame and video and ramping down the time of the transition as low as possible (0.37 sec) so it is nearly unnoticed seems to help but not always.

3. When I burn the DVD the video also freezes in places when transitioning from a still frame to a video. When it encounters a transition from one clip to another or from a clip to a still frame image, the subsequent video then will start to display again.

4. My project has captured video which I have split into about 30 clips with either a transition or still frame image separating them. The video freezes on about 4-5 of the clips and not always the same ones. My narration (on music line) and Fx are all on the timeline sync'd with the still frames.

5. I have also noticed that the narration option captures sound that has lots of skips so I don't use this option and instead use Sound Editor then import the track onto the music line.

Any hints to why my project won't play in preview or burn to DVD without freezing randomly on 1 out of every 5 or 6 clips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Dell Precision M70 Intel Pent M

2GB/533MHz DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB Dimms

2.00GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256MB OpenGL

7200 RPM 8X DVD+/RW

Are you using VideoWave in EMC 9 to build your project? Several people have had problems with the Slide Show Assistant in MyDVD.

The freezing is something I would expect if you did not have the latest drivers for that card or of your hard drive is badly fragmented. Make sure that all other programs are shut down including your anti-virus (after you have disconnected from the internet). Set your computer to best performance rather than best appearance; do likewise with that video card. Set antiailising and anisotropic filtering to program controlled. Turn off the power saving features on that laptop and run only in AC mode. Run the video test to see if the dot stays by hardware.

That computer may be a little slow in working with video processing; make sure you give it time to catch up with what you are doing.

If you do your production in VideoWave and then output it to a "mpg2 for DVD best quality file", and if there is something in the project that the program doesn't like, the rendering will stop. Note the time and go back to see if there is something going on at that time; usually you can find a glitch. MyDVD would not render that mpg2 file (except for the very start and the very end) so you are not doing double work.

Archived