48K to 44.1 Sample Rate Conversion: Toast or Pro Tools?

ryan de topanga

Question

I made the mistake of putting 16 bit 48K stereo aif files (bounced from a Pro Tools session) into Toast. They are playing back fine, in preview mode, just as they would if i had converted them to 44.1 (before putting them into Toast).

What is happening here? How does Toast do this SRC in real time? There are no files in my "converted items" folder, so I'm not sure how the processing is working.

For those of you with experience in Pro Audio, is this preferable to doing the SRC in Pro Tolos and then exporting into Toast? What about dithering down from 24 bit / 96 K. Does Toast do this better than Pro Tools?

1 answer to this question

How does Toast do this SRC in real time? For those of you with experience in Pro Audio, is this preferable to doing the SRC in Pro Tolos and then exporting into Toast? What about dithering down from 24 bit / 96 K. Does Toast do this better than Pro Tools?

I know that Mac OS X does SRC realtime for its built-in audio card: maybe it's what's happening here.

I work more with Nuendo than ProTools, but my usual way of going from 24/96 to 16/44.1 is to do SRC (in Nuendo or PT) before dithering: 24/96 -> 32/44.1 (no dither) -> 16/44.1 (dither). Why that way? Dither is added before SRC in the ouput bus: do you want to SRC dither? I don't....

- Kewl

Archived