• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Poor Picture Quality and Chapter Menus Bad

tihso

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but it is my best choice. I have read the boards for a solution but cannot find my prob. I have been able to produce photoshows from videowave and put them into mydvd but the pix quailty is extremely poor. The pix I used for production are great but when viewed in mydvd preview or when burnt to dvd and viewed they are poor. Also the chapter menu pix look ok in preview but have lines of distortion in them when burnt to dvd. Also found the select scene portion (when used with the dvd player) impossible to navigate.

I recently installed a nvidia 5200 that enabled emc9 to work and thought i was on the road to recovery.

You gurus have always been there for me...........help.

9 answers to this question

Sknis,

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying now for over a week to get this MYDVD thing to go without any success. The MYDVD Express works great. First attempt went easy.

I can burn an image file and I can burn a DVD. I haven't actually gone back to look at the quality of the pix as I cannot get a preview of the menus I create. The preview function in MYDVD goes right to the Videowave production I produced skipping the menus. The menus will not play. Therein may lie the problem as I cannot got the menus set up following the written instructions found in the discussion forums. I have followed them to the letter 10 or more times with no success. (Could be me)

By the way, I have again checked that I have the lastest driver for my graphics card, have verified I have the latest Directx version have defragged my hard drive and I have prayed.

I will burn a DVD as that is the only way I can see a menu and will get back to you.

Thanx. Any more suggestions?

Tihso

Hi there,

I'd like to bump this up as I'm having the same problems too.

Here's an interesting thing tho - I've found that if I use the "Pan and Tilt" feature to animate the photos, the quality is WAY, WAY, WAY better. So why is it that static images are crap quality and the "pan and tilted" images are good? Wacky.

A

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but it is my best choice. I have read the boards for a solution but cannot find my prob. I have been able to produce photoshows from videowave and put them into mydvd but the pix quailty is extremely poor. The pix I used for production are great but when viewed in mydvd preview or when burnt to dvd and viewed they are poor. Also the chapter menu pix look ok in preview but have lines of distortion in them when burnt to dvd. Also found the select scene portion (when used with the dvd player) impossible to navigate.

I recently installed a nvidia 5200 that enabled emc9 to work and thought i was on the road to recovery.

You gurus have always been there for me...........help.

Reasonable choice for a video card. Don't assume that the latest drivers are installed unless you installed them yourself. Also remember to download the latest version of DirecX if you haven't.

The preview is low quality so don't rely on that to see what the finished video will look like. How long is the video (slide show) in time? The burned video should be much better in quality but remember it is a movie of a slide show and not a slide show of the original images.

I would suspect that there is a setting that should be changed. When you go to burn the production in MyDVD, make sure you have selected DVD and not VCD or SVCD as the project type. When you go to burn, make sure that you have best quality checked and not fit to disc. Burn (encode) to an iso file. When that finishes, open Disc copier and preview the iso file. It should look as it will on the disc. If it is OK, burn to an RW disc and play that. If you project is over one hour, Disc Copier will fit it to the disc at the best possible quality that will fit. Does it look better or worse than the preview of the iso file.

Check other settings also. Yours should be similar to mine if you are in the US.

Notice in the image I chose to archive the original images, you would be able to see the original images on your computer by exploring that folder on the disc. The is also another way of creating a slide show (no music or transitions) by using a MyDVD slide show assistant theme. I don't know how much clear it is than what you get without that theme.

I have burnt dvd from iso file and the pix quality is definitely inferior to the original pix. I have set the options to the highest quality. It is obvious when you see the preview in MyDVD what the end result will be.

tihso

The quality of a video slideshow will always be inferior to the quality of the individual digital photos. For video the resolution has to be "reduced" to 720x480 and in most cases that is much less then the original photos and results in loss of quality.

Heads up! I have tried many things to get the various problems resolved with EMC9. Some of them I have posted as questions others I have tinkered with on my own. Somewhere in one of the threads I read a post from ggrussell that mentioned cleaning the registry. I tried it and it cleared the problem I was having trying to view the preview in MyDVD. I still can't preview the menus portion of my production of an iso file in DVDcopy, it goes right to the production bypassing the menus.

I'll get back to the thread with the pix quality issue as soon as I view a burnt dvd.

Thanx

tihso

Sknis,

Thanks for your reply. I have been trying now for over a week to get this MYDVD thing to go without any success. The MYDVD Express works great. First attempt went easy.

I can burn an image file and I can burn a DVD. I haven't actually gone back to look at the quality of the pix as I cannot get a preview of the menus I create. The preview function in MYDVD goes right to the Videowave production I produced skipping the menus. The menus will not play. Therein may lie the problem as I cannot got the menus set up following the written instructions found in the discussion forums. I have followed them to the letter 10 or more times with no success. (Could be me)

By the way, I have again checked that I have the lastest driver for my graphics card, have verified I have the latest Directx version have defragged my hard drive and I have prayed.

I will burn a DVD as that is the only way I can see a menu and will get back to you.

Thanx. Any more suggestions?

Tihso

Archived