Toast 7.1.2 won't burn compressed video ts

rowan

Question

OK-using maxell dvd-r 16X 50pk cakes. fit to dvd compression. recorder set to "best" speed. (know the intel imac can only max at 8X.) compresses & extracts. burns-no problems. sweet.

opened new pack, same brand/speed, purchased at different time/location. after compression/extraction, get "medium error"; changed speed to 8X, 4X, 2X, then 1X. yes, won't burn at 1X. have to click "ok" & eject the disc-so no coaster, because no burn-doh!

burned another video ts file with no compression-will only burn at 1X, but at least it burns.

tried different discs from same spindle-nope. have two more unopened 50 pk spindles...do I dare?

have burned 100+ discs with this program, using fuji & memorex dvd+r dl's with no problems, never made a coaster with any disc.

help

2 answers to this question

OK-using maxell dvd-r 16X 50pk cakes. fit to dvd compression. recorder set to "best" speed. (know the intel imac can only max at 8X.) compresses & extracts. burns-no problems. sweet.

opened new pack, same brand/speed, purchased at different time/location. after compression/extraction, get "medium error"; changed speed to 8X, 4X, 2X, then 1X. yes, won't burn at 1X. have to click "ok" & eject the disc-so no coaster, because no burn-doh!

burned another video ts file with no compression-will only burn at 1X, but at least it burns.

tried different discs from same spindle-nope. have two more unopened 50 pk spindles...do I dare?

have burned 100+ discs with this program, using fuji & memorex dvd+r dl's with no problems, never made a coaster with any disc.

help

That's the problem with some media. It changes from spindle to spindle. Sometimes it changes in the same spindle.

You could update the firmware for you drive if it is not up to date already.

My suggestion is use Taiyo Yuden -R SL and Verbatim +R DL.

They both are consistent media from spindle to spindle.

This is what I use.

Insert a blank DVD and choose Disc Info from the Toast Recorder menu. In the window that appears you'll see a link to the videohelp site where users post comments on the specific media you are using. You may also be able to check the media code on a disc from the original spool.

Maxell discs used to be manufactured in Japan but not are from a different manufacturer in Taiwan. You can see the manufacturer location in fine print near the spindle's bar code, I believe. Maxell really hides this on their labelling.

I've been using Verbatim media and it seems to work okay even though it also has switched to Taiwan.

A firmware update for your drive may increase the ability to burn to those Maxell discs.

Archived