• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Hybrid Dvd-video With Mac And Windows Data -- Is It Possible?

markbateman@bigfoot.com

Question

Hi there,

I'm a Macromedia Director developer in need of some advice as to whether or not what I wish to achieve is even possible!

I need to produce a DVD with DVD-Video content that will play on a good old regular domestic DVD-Video player; sitting alongside this DVD-Video content will be a Macromedia Director projector [ie, a data section].

But, and here's the crux, the Director projectors are to be both Mac and Windows and anybody who has any experience of creating cross-platform CD-ROMs will know that under Toast you need to produce a custom hybrid CD-ROM and share the content from the Mac partition across to the ISO [Windows] partition.

Bearing in mind that I need to produce what appears to be a hybrid DVD-Video + Data is this at all even possible? And if so what the blooming heck is the right procedure for doing under Toast 7?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Mark :)

2 answers to this question

Mark,

A few things to try, not sure what will work.

Multi-seesion

Burn the DVD video part (UDF) and set the session as open (possible?)

Then burn the next session as a hybrid (custom possible?)

All 1 format

This is a UDF (DVD Video) formatted disk

Put your video_ts folder at the root level

Then put 2 folders at the root level (1 for the Mac projector and 1 for the win projector)

Then a user has to open the correct folder (in win you could try an autorun.ini file at the root level as well)

The issue with the all-in-1 is that it may auto start the DVD player and if on win, also your win projector if you have an autorun.ini

Good luck!

Macs and PCs can both read files burned to DVD-Rom (UDF) format. So just follow Toast's instructions on how to burn a video DVD with data content. The way I do it is to select DVD-Rom in the Data window, click New Disc and name the disc the same as I name the disc in the Video window, Create a new folder and add the data content. Then I go to the Video window and set up my video for recording. In the custom settings I select the add data content option.

As a test I choose Save as Disc Image to see if everything turns out correctly. If it does then I burn the DVD. You can't burn the DVD from the image file though because only the video portion will get included. There's a workaround to that which I can explain if it matters.

Archived