• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Erased DVD-RW not re-writable

David B-M

Question

I've just erased a Mitsubishi DVD-RW using Toast 7. I suppose I should have been a bit wary when the erasing process took only a fraction of the time it normally does to state that the disk had been successfully erased. However the 'disc information' states that the disk is empty but under 'Recorder Settings', it states that the disk is 'not writable'. When I try to record, I'm told to insert a recordable disk! Is it that the disk is just a bad one or should I be doing something intelligent (!) to solve the problem. This has never happened before when I've used CD-RWs.

5 answers to this question

No I've never used other software to erase the disks. I've taken the original disks back to the dealer who gave me 5 new ones (Sony - this time!) and duly burnt them with the original stuff that I had updated.

I'm terrified of erasing them again as I can't go back to the dealer - if they do the same as before - and say 'your disks don't work'. I think any credibility that I had with him the first time would go out the window!

David

Will Toast let you erase it again?

Toast has two options for erasing DVDs. One is a Quick Erase where it clears the disc directory so it appears to be a blank disc. The other is a Full Erase where it clears the entire disc of any readable content. I have (rarely) had times when I had to redo an erase in order to get the disc working again.

I've just erased a Mitsubishi DVD-RW using Toast 7. I suppose I should have been a bit wary when the erasing process took only a fraction of the time it normally does to state that the disk had been successfully erased. However the 'disc information' states that the disk is empty but under 'Recorder Settings', it states that the disk is 'not writable'. When I try to record, I'm told to insert a recordable disk! Is it that the disk is just a bad one or should I be doing something intelligent (!) to solve the problem. This has never happened before when I've used CD-RWs.

I had a similar problem with my G5 Powermac. It occurs when I erase the DVD-RW with my old lacie Pioneer drive. Once erased on this drive, they will no longer rewrite on the drive that came with my G5.

I continue to be plaqued with DVD-R writing and verification errors on my G5 Drive no matter what media brand I use.

I too have experienced the exact problem with erase as you describe. The problem persists with Toast 8.

The FULL erase procedure is as short as the QUICK erase.

I am trying to isolate the nature of this problem. I have other burning software which I have used on the DVD+RW disks I am having problems with. I was wondering if you ever used other software to erase the disks you are now trying to use with Toast 7 or 8?

I have to go out an buy some new DVD+RW disks and use them only with Toast to further test my theory.

Al

Will Toast let you erase it again?

Toast has two options for erasing DVDs. One is a Quick Erase where it clears the disc directory so it appears to be a blank disc. The other is a Full Erase where it clears the entire disc of any readable content. I have (rarely) had times when I had to redo an erase in order to get the disc working again.

Eugene.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. However I always do the 'Full Erase' yet the problem posed still occurred and, yes, it will allow me to erase it again and again and again...!

best wishes

David (Hong Kong!)

Archived