Getting Version 9 to Work

Cold Steel

Question

I've now installed Version 9 five times and it's still not functional.

In my latest series of rounds, MyDVD tried to install the MPEG-2 codec and failed, shutting down immediately. After trying a few things from downloading and running various patch files and so forth, I got an e-mail suggesting:

1.) First disable your startup items and services

. Click on the "Start" button and select "Run".

. Type "msconfig" and click on the "OK" button or press the "Enter" key.

. Select the "Startup" tab over on the right side.

. Click on the "Disable All" button.

. Click on the "Apply" button

. Now go to the services tab

. Place a check in the box that says "Hide all Microsoft Services"

. Now choose disable all, apply and finally close.

. Click "YES" to restart the computer.

NOTE: To reverse these changes, follow the above steps and select "enable all" for both services and startup.

Do not do this until activation is complete as there is something running on your PC conflicting with the activation.

2.) Download Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility

a. Enter the following address into the Address Bar of your web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

b. Scroll down to and click on "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"

c. Click on Save and select to save to your Desktop

d. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install

e. Click on start, then All programs, and finally Windows Install Cleanup

f. Locate the Sonic Activation Module

g. Click on Remove

Then go to this link and download the file.

http://patches.sonic.com/techsupport/Activation.zip

Save this one to your desktop as well.

Double click on the file and it will open and show an 'Activation.exe' file, double click on that to run it.

Follow the prompts to install the program.

Now reboot your computer, and try to run a video component of Creator 9 to see if the problem is resolved.

Hmmm. If that doesn't work, would they like me to move the house over a few inches? Or perhaps reformatting my entire drive and completely reinstalling Windows?

I wonder if anyone else is having these problems and whether I ought to be upset?

7 answers to this question

I've now installed Version 9 five times and it's still not functional.

[/color]

You have my sympathy. I had so many problems with it, Windows threw up two 'bsods' syaing incompatible driver was to blame. Ended up restoring XP from my Ghost image -- glad I made that first! Now my PC is A1-fit again. I gave EMC9 to a friend and went back to using Nero. Admittedly Nero has a quirky interface and looks dated, but it doesn't give me any grief.

It's a shame because I quite like the EMC9 interface, and while it did run I was able to burn faster than nero does it. But as it turns out, because of all the grief it gave me, I regret buying it.

PM me if you still have problems after trying those last few suggestions. I can have someone contact you for additional help.

John, I had the same problems as the poster did. I have activation problem resolved, but now when I attempt to launch EMC 9 home page, it never starts, and when I launch Windows task Manager, and go to processes and click on end the Roxio program, the EMC home page finally comes up. Also when I attempt to launch the media manager, it completely freezes my PC causing me to have to completely shut down my PC.

I am running Windows XP Media Center SP2, on an HP dv6000 with 2MG ram and a 120 gb drive. I have updated all of the drivers. I have never had so many problems trying to run a video editing app as this one. Well except for Pinnacle Studio which I returned and got my money back.

What is the process that I need to follow to return the software to receive a refund? I purchased it from buy.com. If I cannot get these freezing problems resolved then I will be forced to ask for an RMA and a refund. Would I do this through buy.com or directly from Roxio????

I had this problem and had to do what your email suggested 3 times before it worked. As far as I could tell, I did nothing different each time. The only thing else I did was to delete all the cookies, run regseeker to clean the registry and clear the browser cache (not sure what that does really).

John, I had the same problems as the poster did. I have activation problem resolved, but now when I attempt to launch EMC 9 home page, it never starts, and when I launch Windows task Manager, and go to processes and click on end the Roxio program, the EMC home page finally comes up. Also when I attempt to launch the media manager, it completely freezes my PC causing me to have to completely shut down my PC.

I am running Windows XP Media Center SP2, on an HP dv6000 with 2MG ram and a 120 gb drive. I have updated all of the drivers. I have never had so many problems trying to run a video editing app as this one. Well except for Pinnacle Studio which I returned and got my money back.

What is the process that I need to follow to return the software to receive a refund? I purchased it from buy.com. If I cannot get these freezing problems resolved then I will be forced to ask for an RMA and a refund. Would I do this through buy.com or directly from Roxio????

Have you tried doing a clean install? If you are going to give that route a try you might even want to make a new admin user account and test it using that.

Have you tried doing a clean install? If you are going to give that route a try you might even want to make a new admin user account and test it using that.

Yes, John, I was on the phone for over an hour with your tech support, I think his name was Mark. My case number was 320210. He walked me through doing a clean install of the product. He mentioned nothing about creating an account. I am the only user of this PC and set it up that way. Just what do you mean by creating an account? You have not answered my question of how do I return this software for a refund? I purchased it through Buy.com.

"I've now installed Version 9 five times and it's still not functional."

I suggest that after trying to install the program that many times, that there are still files left on the computer that continue to screw up the installation. When everyone talks about a "Clean Install" it really means that. There are all kinds of ways (some you have already mentioned in your post) to get rid of all previous files that were trying to install.

I don't think you have to move your house a few inches to make everything work. Usually removing the program first with ADD/REMOVE programs, then using MS program cleaner, the going through the registry (if you are knowledgeable in that realm) with a fine tooth comb and remove all listing for Roxio, Videowave, Sonic etc. and then shut off your particular security software you are using and with nothing else running, try installing your EMC 9 program.

I realize this is just more things that you are being suggested to do, but if you can get your computer "clean" of every file that was loaded when you first began your installation is I suggest the best cure for a good installation.

Your "activation" problem has been reported by others also. Have you tried activating OFF-LINE ??

Frank...

Archived