• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"Medium Error" while trying to burn DVD...

KateetaK

Question

Could someone please help me, I get this message when I try to make a DVD...

: ("Medium Error." [03/80/04])

Sense Key = 0x03

ASC = 0x80

ASCQ = 0x04

ULONG: Error Number = 13800401

STRING: Error String = Medium Error

...then when I close it another box says this:

Unspecified Error [0x13800401]

17 answers to this question

Thank you guys so much for all of your help. I appreciate it very much.

In your opinion, should I wait until I get these upgrades in the mail to even mess with it at all? I'm thinking I should just to be safe.

I wouldn't mess with the upgrades you have coming in the mail, until you get the problems that you are having NOW, sorted. I guarantee that you will have a ton of problems when you install Vista.

If your existing installation is flaky, then any upgrade to Vista will do nothing but create more problems - your best bet would be to completely reformat your drive and install just the basic OS before doing the Vista thing - then re-install your programs.

I understood what you were saying about Vista, I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about seeing if this "HP Drivers DVD" disc is what I may need, because I am not sure as of yet what it is exactly, it doesn't specify. I would of course wait until everything is sorted to install Vista.

I'm only asking because I heard it's risky to do this upgrade thing.

Go to control panel, system, device manager - click on the DVD drive, go to properties and in the last tab 'Details' you will see a string like this.

The number we need from you is whatever it says where mine says '1.03' (that's my firmware revision)

IDE\CDROM_NEC_DVD_RW_ND-4570A____________________1.03____\4&25B1A4CF&0&1.1.0

and I am trying to burn Fujifilm 4.7gb dvd-r with Roxio EMC Suite 9.

Sorry but that tells us nothing. Only what the label on the disc's say. Put the disc in the drive and open DVDinfo Pro and click the INFO icon, then list the Media ID.

cd

Could someone please help me, I get this message when I try to make a DVD...

: ("Medium Error." [03/80/04])

Sense Key = 0x03

ASC = 0x80

ASCQ = 0x04

ULONG: Error Number = 13800401

STRING: Error String = Medium Error

...then when I close it another box says this:

Unspecified Error [0x13800401]

Your burner either doesn't like the media that you are using, or it may be bad media. Update the firmware for your burner, and try again. If the same thing happens, try a different brand/type of media.

How would I go about doing that. also how can i find out if it "doesnt like the media" or not. i'm a little slow when it comes to this program...

edit: I found 3 different updates for firmware for my specific computer. I don't know which one to choose. My computer is a HP Pavillion a1610n

Usually the site will say that 'firmware x will upgrade firmware y and firmware z will upgrade firmware x'

Sometimes you have to flash once for each increase in the revision number, others one flash is all it takes. It should say on the site, but if it's unclear, start with the next highest to the rev on your drive and when that is finished and rebooted, go to the next, but READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY

KateetaK,

click start and right click my computer. Left click properties, click the hardware tab, click device manager. From view at the top of the device manager window, make sure devices by type has a dot next to it. Now click the + mark next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, your drives should show when you expand the + mark. List them here for us (mine show BenQ DVD LS DW1655 and Plextor DVDR PX-716A.

Now open DVDInfo Pro under EMC9 tools and click the Drive icon at top. On the bottom left choose the DVD drive, then starting on the top right is the drive information listing the firmware Revision( mine BCIB or 1.09) depending what drive I hoose bottom left, list that for us! Now put a disc that your getting the error on in the DVD Drive and click the Info icon top left. Then click the clip board icon at the top right and then right click paste that info in a post here.

Now the folks here that help, will know your Drive make and firmware and the Brand and Maker of the DVD media your using.

cd

I'm sorry, how exactly do I check the Media ID once the disc is in?

I still don't understand what is wrong with it. I mean, couldn't it be something simpler perhaps or is this def. it? The computer was just purchased, too, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Ok, I just ordered my free Windows Vista upgrade and it looks like they're sending

a "HP Driver DVD"...now I hope that works when it comes, all I want to do is burn some DVD's with my new computer :) lol...

I wouldn't even think of installing Vista until you get things squared away with your computer, now.

Try a different brand of media, before you do anything.

The following is what cdanteek was asking you to do. Put your burned disc in your burner, first:

post-81-1171722063.jpg

gi7omy Yesterday, 05:00 PM Post #9

Digital Guru

Group: Members

Member No.: 2,743

I can only see one firmware file for that drive (It's a LG drive and there is NO information on their website) but HP have it here

This post has been edited by gi7omy: Yesterday, 05:01 PM

Type: Firmware

Version: S853 (20 Nov 2006)

Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows XP

File name: sp26855.exe (4.2 MB)

» Description Installation Instructions » Fixes

1. Click the Download Only button.

2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.

3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.

4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to

overwrite file.

5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then

click NEXT.

6. Follow on-screen instructions.

7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click

YES and allow system to restart.

The last DVD -R Fujifilm disc's I checked in a disc identifier, were pro disc.

cd

Archived