• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

USB ION Turntable

creeker69

Question

I just received a gift of a turntable (an ION ITTUSB) with USB connection. Does anyone know if this will work with EMC9?

I read through the book and it mentions USB in the Audio section but does not specifically say whether this will work or not.

I am hoping someone has experience with one of these types of turntables. I have lots of old 45's from my jukebox that I would love to record using EMC9 software to remove the pops and hiss.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ron

16 answers to this question

I just received a gift of a turntable (an ION ITTUSB) with USB connection. Does anyone know if this will work with EMC9?

I read through the book and it mentions USB in the Audio section but does not specifically say whether this will work or not.

I am hoping someone has experience with one of these types of turntables. I have lots of old 45's from my jukebox that I would love to record using EMC9 software to remove the pops and hiss.

Ron

How did it work out for you, Ron?

There are quite a few programs to clean up vinyl rips, and some are more destructive than others. You'd be surprised really how much some of these actually remove from the original using various auto modes. The only good way to clean up vinyl is manually editing every click and pop, and that is VERY time consuming.

There are quite a few programs to clean up vinyl rips, and some are more destructive than others. You'd be surprised really how much some of these actually remove from the original using various auto modes. The only good way to clean up vinyl is manually editing every click and pop, and that is VERY time consuming.

I usually use DART XP Pro for clicks and scratches initially. Sound Soap does a fairly good job with the hiss and continuous noise, as does DCART 5. For hand editing, after running the programs, I use GoldWave. One other thing is that playing the record wet (misted with distilled water) can make an amazing difference, but only do this if you don't plan on playing the record dry again.

Ron

You should be able to capture you music using the "What U Hear" setting on your sound card. That should be an option in the "Easy Audio Capture" application.

If you haven't checked out that application, there are two things that help. One is preroll where you can set the length of time you want to listen to the music before deciding if you want to capture it. The preroll is the number of seconds that is recorded before your press the capture button. If you decide not to capture, that part of the file is discarded. You can also set the capture length for those old 78 and 33 1/3 LP. The program will stop capturing after a set time so you can walk away and not have captured tons of silence.

I just bought one of these turntables. It should be here first of the week. I also just bought the Media Creator 9 software. I have it installed, but have not had time to play with it. On top of this I have a new Panasonic Lumix DMC=FX07 camera. I have been using the old Photo Suite 5 program for my Nikon digital camera. I really liked this program. I am not very happy that the new program requires me to change my display settings from my normal 800X600 to 1024x768. I have old eyes, and the larger screen is much better for me to read. I don't know if there is a workaround for this or not (sure hope so).

I would love to hear how the turntable works out. I want to be able to burn a direct copy of the fecord with all of the pop's, crackle's, and hiss. I also want to burn one with all of these filtered out.

I would also like to know if there are any reported problems with the Panasonic and Nikon camera's.

Thanks.

You should be able to capture you music using the "What U Hear" setting on your sound card. That should be an option in the "Easy Audio Capture" application.

Not sure that ones gonna work Steve.They've got an onboard soundchip and so far we haven't run into one that has the same options as a Creative soundcard.If I'm wrong I hope they let me know so others will benefit.

Thanks to all.... Here's what I found out. First, technically, EVERYONE was right. CD said that USB boasts that it has no need of software and drivers and I found that to be true and remarkably easy to capture a 45 record (albeit time comsuming).

But, along with the record came the pops and hisses. I tried to use Sound Editor to clean it up. It worked but not all that well and you can detect some loss in overall volume and depth the more it cleaned.

SoundSoap worked a whole lot better.

So, if anyone is going to buy one of these, my advice would be to use just the software that comes with it. Later, you can use EMC9 sound Editor if you wish. The worse the record the harder it is to clean up. Some of the dirtier and more scratched cleaned up and sounded like an AM Radio transmission. Others that were in good to excellent condition sounded as good as an MP3 file.

I sold it already becasue it takes so much hands on to capture a record. Not one part of this particular turntable is automatic. I captured what i needed and sold it.

Thanks again to everyone!

Creeker69

Not sure that ones gonna work Steve.They've got an onboard soundchip and so far we haven't run into one that has the same options as a Creative soundcard.If I'm wrong I hope they let me know so others will benefit.

I read the post and some replies and I think that I saw Frank's profile and though it was the OP. I agree that it probably won't work with that sound chip. My mistake. :)

Ron

Give it a shot, and let us know.

EMC 9 Deluxe has a new added program called "SoundSoap". This program would be excellent for getting rid of the unwanted noises you hear after you capture them from your player.

Frank...

This Turntable USB scoffs at the need for drivers and is bundled with and a 30-day trial of SoundSoap 2 to clean up the track.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/..._turntable.html

cd

Archived