• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blue Screen on Vista Home Premium

norml2000

Question

Recently installed EMC 9 on a Dell E521 with Vista Home Premium. Ever since installing EMC I have been getting blue screens. Does anyone know what parts of EMC causes this issue? I am gonna do an image restore of my system without installing EMC and run it for a few days to see for sure if EMC is causing the blue screens, which I am sure is the culprit. My computer ran fine since I got it on the 5th of Feb., till I puchased a boxed retail edition from Sam's Club and installed EMC on the 11th. I have had blue screens every day since the install of EMC. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

8 answers to this question

Well, I have given up. I am bringing EMC 9 back to the place I purchased it and will consider Nero... I downloaded the trial version of Nero after many attempts yesterday to get EMC to work. It copied my dvd file with no problem! Now I am gonna see how it handles file conversion if it is a go, goodbye Roxio.

Oh I agree completely - it really WOULD be nice if the Microsoft 'remove programs' actually did what it was supposed to do and not leave bits all round the place :)

Its easy to blame Microsoft. They are not the ones that write the uninstall for a particular program. The add/remove programs applet only points to a particular applications uninstall file. If the software vendor correctly wrote their uninstall program all remnents including folders and registry entries would be removed.

But I do understand that Microsoft doesn't make some of this stuff easy. On that note I haven't had a blue screen since I uninstalled EMC9. I did a system image restore and uninstalled the preinstalled EMC9 Basic again and have tried reinstalling the full version again. My problem now is some of the apps aren't working correctly. I try to browse for files to convert and it won't show the files in the file browser. It find dvd files but it won't go past the ok button. I am gonna try and do the clean uninstall thing and see if mabye that works, because I had some errors during the installation. I really don't know what the problem is here, but I am getting frustrated.

I will keep trying everyones suggestions so keep them coming. but for now I am gonna do the clean uninstall then do a clean reinstall of EMC9.

Thanks much for the help,

Shane

Well I totally followed the clean install that was link in a previous reply here. I am not having blue screens anymore, probably because I uninstalled Drag to Disc, but I still can't use apps like the Disc Copier to copy a dvd file or use the video compilation to convert a file to dvd or any other format. This really sucks, I bought this because of the ability to convert DL.TV and Diggnation for my PSP and it really sucks that I can't even use it. I haven't tried using Creator Classic yet, but I am not too concerned with that. I can use Windows abilty to burn data CD's and DVD's. I wish someone could figure this out for me.

Here is a list of programs installed on my system:

Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X

Adobe Reader 7.0.8

AVG 7.5

Azureus

Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007

Dell Support

Documentation & Support Launcher

Games, Music, & Photos Launcher

Java SE Runtime Environment 6

(A list of stuff associated with Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Install)

Microsoft Works

MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)

NVIDIA Drivers

Sigma Tel Audio

URL Assistant

User's Guides

Windows Live Messenger

Yahoo! Messenger

That is it.

Again, hopefully someone can help me.

You might benefit from a clean install of EMC9 since the standard control panel method never seems to work good enough when removing software.

Check out this post

Wouldn't it be nice if software developers actually wrote uninstall programs that clean up all the remnents of their software. It really sucks that their uninstall apps never clean up program folders, shortcuts, registry entries, and any other files they install with their software.

Wouldn't it be nice if software developers actually wrote uninstall programs that clean up all the remnents of their software. It really sucks that their uninstall apps never clean up program folders, shortcuts, registry entries, and any other files they install with their software.

Oh I agree completely - it really WOULD be nice if the Microsoft 'remove programs' actually did what it was supposed to do and not leave bits all round the place :)

Recently installed EMC 9 on a Dell E521 with Vista Home Premium. Ever since installing EMC I have been getting blue screens. Does anyone know what parts of EMC causes this issue? I am gonna do an image restore of my system without installing EMC and run it for a few days to see for sure if EMC is causing the blue screens, which I am sure is the culprit. My computer ran fine since I got it on the 5th of Feb., till I puchased a boxed retail edition from Sam's Club and installed EMC on the 11th. I have had blue screens every day since the install of EMC. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Mayhaps it came with preinstalled software that conflicts. Certainly it came with software to burn dvd's and it's likely it's a packet writing application that is causing the problem. Let me know what programs are on your system and we can try to narrow it down.

Mayhaps it came with preinstalled software that conflicts. Certainly it came with software to burn dvd's and it's likely it's a packet writing application that is causing the problem. Let me know what programs are on your system and we can try to narrow it down.

It came with EMC 9 Basic pre-installed. But I uninstalled those apps before installing EMC 9 retail edition.

Archived