Audio on only one panel

itsme51

Question

I am creating a show in VideoWave. Have added several pieces of background music. I would like to add special sound effects to a few of the panels but I don't want to delete the original background audio from the production. I would mute or fade out/fade in the audio during the particular panels that have sound effects. Is this possible and if so, how please ?

11 answers to this question

Wow! Just read all the recent posts. I have been away from my computer and am catching up on replies. No problem for the mix up Malatekid. Stuff happens. I'm glad that is cleared up because I didn't see all those tracks and thought I missed a beat somewhere. I couldn't find a way to see 32 tracks. All is well. I see several replies here that look as if they will be extremely helpful to me. I have been noodling around with this "one panel audio" issue with no luck. I think things are looking up! Thanks all. I'll post back.

I am creating a show in VideoWave. Have added several pieces of background music. I would like to add special sound effects to a few of the panels but I don't want to delete the original background audio from the production. I would mute or fade out/fade in the audio during the particular panels that have sound effects. Is this possible and if so, how please ?

You can add the special sound effect in any sound track (you must be in the Timeline mode to do this).

The background music is part of the video? You can edit the native audio of this video by double clicking the native audio (background music) and increase/decrease volume in certain sections of the background music.

You can add the special sound effect in any sound track (you must be in the Timeline mode to do this).

The background music is part of the video? You can edit the native audio of this video by double clicking the native audio (background music) and increase/decrease volume in certain sections of the background music.

No, the background music is not part of the video. It is music I pulled in myself. You mention I can add the special sound effect in "any" sound track. I'm not at my home computer now but I'll check this out when I get home. Do I understand this correctly - there is more than 1 sound track available? I could leave the music on one sound track and place the sound effect on another sound track? I don't remember seeing more than one sound track when I open in Timeline view.

My normal procedure when I add audio is to click the music note icon, open my audio folder, click the audio of my choice and add the audio at the end of the production. Since I don't want the sound effect to either replace the existing audio or be added to the end of the production, would I drag the sound effect in to where I want it? Would I drag it directly to the face of the panel or to a second sound track under the specific panel in the Timeline view? Or would I mute the portion of the existing audio at the place where I want the sound effect and drag and overlay the sound effect directly over that portion of the existing audio? I'm just trying to imagine what procedure I should use. Am I making this harder that it is :)

Yes, there is more than one sound track. To see hidden tracks, go to Timeline and click the Show/Hide Tracks icon.

Yes, you just drag the audio to any of the available music tracks. The tracks are labeled so each one has its own section in the Timeline mode.

Yes about the mute and overlay question.

Edited (see myguggi's comment below.)

Hip hip hooray !! Success. Thanks to all of you.

Malatekid - thanks for instructions on what to do to view all the tracks.

Frank - the screen shot was great. It was extremely helpful to see a sample of what I should see if I followed instructions correctly.

ML - your comments were quite helpful. I used your information regarding adding audio in Storyline vs. Timeline. Since I wanted a specific sound effect on only one specifc scene I dragged the effect to the panel in Storyline view. Worked like a charm. I still have my background audio for the production, I muted background audio on the one frame so one hears only the sound effect. Cool.

ML - your explanation of external vs. internal was helpful in addition to your clues on matching the images to what specific audio track they referred was invaluable to me. One might think this is pretty self-explanatory but not to me. {:-) I am coming from a place of utter confusion about computers but am gaining knowledge on a daily basis. The more I learn the smarter I feel - conversely, the more I learn the dumber I feel realizing there is still so much more out there to learn!

One more question -

Having warned you of my beginner status, let me ask as question that may sound pretty dumb - your examples of audio tracks indicated 6 tracks. Can I place ANY kind of audio on ANY of these tracks or are these tracks to be used ONLY for the specific audio indicated (background audio only on the speaker track, naration only on the microphone track, etc.)?

Can I place ANY kind of audio on ANY of these tracks or are these tracks to be used ONLY for the specific audio indicated (background audio only on the speaker track, naration only on the microphone track, etc.)?

I just tried it and it appears that you can put any audio on any track. Now if you're going to use the microphone and record narration, I think it puts it automatically on the native track.

Since you're just learning the program, I'd suggest that you do a File\ Save As.... and save a second copy of your production. That way you can experiment with a second production without worrying about losing the changes you've already made. I alternate between the two productions just in case I do something stupid.

The production files don't take up much room and do NOT change your original video until you burn the new movie to a DVD/CD or do a File\ Output production to.......

Yes, there is more than one sound track. To see hidden tracks, go to Timeline and click the Show/Hide Tracks icon.

Yes, you just drag the audio to any of the available music tracks. The tracks are labeled so each one has its own section in the Timeline mode.

Yes about the mute and overlay question.

There are 32 tracks (lifted from a post of ggrussell):

One main Video track which shows on internal, too

5 Overlay tracks (10 total)

5 Text tracks (10 total)

2 FX tracks (4 total)

Native audio

Music track (2 total)

Narration track (2 total)

SoundFX track (2 total)

All inclusive 32 tracks

Aren't you referring to the tracks in EMC 9, this is the EMC 7/7.5 forum :)

Aren't you referring to the tracks in EMC 9, this is the EMC 7/7.5 forum :)

Good catch, Walt! I'll rectify.

Susan, my bad! the advise was indeed for EMC9 version. I'll remove some posts that do not apply in this forum.

In any case, EMC7.5 has at least 3 audio tracks.

There is a trial version of EMC9 that you may want to try.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/creator_trial/

You can put audio on any of the External tracks ( Background audio speaker, narration microphone, or sound effects musical note) or Internal tracks (right click on video and choose Edit\ Internal tracks).

That's 6 audio tracks plus the native audio.

If you put audio onto a scene in the Storyline view, it will store it on the Internal track and will apply to that scene only. If you add audio in the Timeline view, it will add it to the entire video (depending on length.)

If you want audio to apply to specific part of the video and stay with that video even when you move it around, split out that part of the video and add the sound to the internal track.

Archived