• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

sfordin

Junk/garble when playing DVDs in CinePlayer

Question

I'm a longtime EMC user, having upgraded through numerous versions, but I must say I am extremely disappointed with EMC 9. I'm either going to roll back to EMC 8 or ditch Roxio entirely for Nero.

Today's problem is that I simply cannot play DVDs in CinePlayer. I've tried orginal commercial DVDs and decrypted DVDs that I have burned. In all cases, I get a heavily pixellated screen -- really a grid-like blotch of mostly garbled video with gaps between the pixel blobs. These same DVDs play just fine on the version of CinePlayer included with EMC8, and they play just fine in the version of ShowTime included with Nero 7.5.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration. I've tried installing the latest DirectX. I'm running XP Pro SP2, and have installed all updates. My video drivers are up to date as well. No joy.

I can't be the first person to experience these problems, and judging by the forum topics I've read here, people seem to be having a variety of problems with CinePlayer, but I've not seen an answer to my problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Scott

8 answers to this question

I'm a longtime EMC user, having upgraded through numerous versions, but I must say I am extremely disappointed with EMC 9. I'm either going to roll back to EMC 8 or ditch Roxio entirely for Nero.

Today's problem is that I simply cannot play DVDs in CinePlayer. I've tried orginal commercial DVDs and decrypted DVDs that I have burned. In all cases, I get a heavily pixellated screen -- really a grid-like blotch of mostly garbled video with gaps between the pixel blobs. These same DVDs play just fine on the version of CinePlayer included with EMC8, and they play just fine in the version of ShowTime included with Nero 7.5.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration. I've tried installing the latest DirectX. I'm running XP Pro SP2, and have installed all updates. My video drivers are up to date as well. No joy.

I can't be the first person to experience these problems, and judging by the forum topics I've read here, people seem to be having a variety of problems with CinePlayer, but I've not seen an answer to my problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Scott

You updated your computer from Windows 2000, then? Did you ever list your system specs.? List them here.

You may be better off uninstalling EMC 9 and installing it again, via a clean install. There is a thread somewhere that tells you how to do it.

You updated your computer from Windows 2000, then? Did you ever list your system specs.? List them here.

You may be better off uninstalling EMC 9 and installing it again, via a clean install. There is a thread somewhere that tells you how to do it.

Thanks for responding. This is actually a different machine than the one I referred to in a previous thread. It's an HP Pavilion cl6253cl notebook computer. It has an AMD Turion 64X2 processor, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive with about 95GB free, a 15.4" 1280x800 display, and an nVidia gForce Go 6150 display adapter. The machine came with Vista Home Premium, but I totally removed that dog -- repartitioned and reformatted the drive -- and did a fresh XP Pro install. The EMC 9 install is also fresh, and no other burning suite was installed beforehand.

For the reference, the DVDs in question play fine on this machine using Media Player.

I really appreciate the quick response, and I'm sorry if my first post was a little crabby. I'm just very frustrated with EMC 9 right now, and particularly the CinePlayer component. It just seems much heavier weight than it needs to be for a DVD player component.

Thanks again,

Scott

Just out of curiosity - in all your upgrading, did you upgrade to WMP11?

That could be the problem - both that and IE7 have been causing a lot of problems with other software

Just out of curiosity - in all your upgrading, did you upgrade to WMP11?

That could be the problem - both that and IE7 have been causing a lot of problems with other software

Thanks again for responding.

Yes, I do have WMP11 and IE7 installed. Does anyone know what the problematic libraries are? If it is WMP11 or IE7, I'm guessing it's some DLL incompatibility. For example, with Macromedia/Adobe Contribute 3 and Dreamweaver 8, the problem was PSAPI.DLL. The solution was to rename that file in the Contribute and Dreamweaver program directories, and then copy in its place the PSAPI.DLL from the IE7 program directory. Contribute and Dreamweaver now work just fine. I'm wondering, is there a similar known DLL incompatibility with Roxio? I just looked for PSAPI.DLL in the Roxio and Common Files\Roxio Shared directories, but did not see it. It could be any other DLL though. Maybe I should do a directory compare of DLL files in WMP11, IE7, and Roxio? Aarrghh!

Thanks again,

Scott

I don't think anyonme knows where the problem lies in those two 'updates' - just that they have caused a lot of problems with other software. IE7 especially seems to make fundamental changes to the OS which is the root cause (again, I don't know where or how - just that it does cause problems)

Apart from anything else, it is not W3C compliant (around 25% of websites don't work with it according to some sources)

I don't think anyonme knows where the problem lies in those two 'updates' - just that they have caused a lot of problems with other software. IE7 especially seems to make fundamental changes to the OS which is the root cause (again, I don't know where or how - just that it does cause problems)

Apart from anything else, it is not W3C compliant (around 25% of websites don't work with it according to some sources)

Thanks again for responding!

Okay, I removed IE7 according to the instructions on Microsoft's Web site, and rolled back to IE6... CinePlayer still plays junk/garble. Do I need to reinstall EMC9? I've about had it. I think I'm going to ditch EMC9. A waste of money? Very frustrating.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

Scott

Is it only Cine Player that is having problems? What about other programs in the suite?

Is it only Cine Player that is having problems? What about other programs in the suite?

I've not had time to exercise many of the other components. The little bit that I've done with the burning component seems to work, but I've not done any recoding, video editing, or DVD menu work, which is where I expect to find problems similar to those in CinePlayer.

I must confess that I've given up -- I simply don't have time to mess with EMC9 any longer. I've reinstalled IE7 because it's important in my work to use the latest Web targets, as flawed as they may be, removed EMC9, and installed in EMC's place Nero 7.5. Nero's DVD player component, ShowTime, works just fine.

This has been two machines now on which I've tried and removed EMC9. On the first, a Win2K machine, CinePlayer was not supported at all, and there was no way to backtrack to the earlier version of CinePlayer while keeping the rest of EMC9 in place. On this second machine, running XP Pro with all the latest updates, CinePlayer didn't work at all. I believe that it behooves Roxio to issue a patch that resolves the putative IE7 issues -- other programs work or can be made to work just fine with IE7 -- and to provide some means by which Win2K machines have a DVD player component available. As it stands now, IMHO it was a mistake to buy EMC9.

I sincerely appreciate your sticking with this thread, Bruce. Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Scott

Edited by sfordin