Clarowl

XP Pro errors with Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys)

Question

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed XP Pro updates from Microsoft and after my computer re-booted about six times, it came up and stated it had recovered from a serious error. It brought up a page from Microsoft with the following info:

Download updates for Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys)

This problem was caused by Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys). Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys) was created by Roxio, Inc..

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

I have done a search on the Roxio site and found one UDF Reader file that did not solve the problem. I just purchased and installed Roxio Creator 9 Suite at the beginning of this week. Any help would be appreciated.

Clarowl

17 answers to this question

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed XP Pro updates from Microsoft and after my computer re-booted about six times, it came up and stated it had recovered from a serious error. It brought up a page from Microsoft with the following info:

Download updates for Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys)

This problem was caused by Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys). Roxio's UDF Reader (udfreadr.sys) was created by Roxio, Inc..

A solution is available that will solve this problem.

I have done a search on the Roxio site and found one UDF Reader file that did not solve the problem. I just purchased and installed Roxio Creator 9 Suite at the beginning of this week. Any help would be appreciated.

Clarowl

Try this http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...6031&hl=udf

I have the same problem with Windows XP Home (Service Pack 2). Micorsoft also sent me to Roxio to get the "available update"... Has anyone found the "available update" ???

Actually I do not know why I am concerned, all I have to do is fully boot my computer and do a complete logon (about 3 minutes) twice after I shut down the machine. If I merely log off, I do not seem to see the problem.

Sonic/Roxio, please help!

There is no update at present (one is being worked on)

However, in the meantime, uninstall Drag to Disc and that should remove the problem.

It's totally unreliable anyway, along with all packet writing software - good way to lose data

I have the exact same problem - serious system error, udf reader etc. - but I do not know how to remove drag and drop. I have a much older version of roxio which was pre-installed on my computer. They are MyDVD LE and Roxio Creator LE (Dell versions). As there doesn't seem to be a udf update on the website any help would be much appreciated.

I have the exact same problem - serious system error, udf reader etc. - but I do not know how to remove drag and drop. I have a much older version of roxio which was pre-installed on my computer. They are MyDVD LE and Roxio Creator LE (Dell versions). As there doesn't seem to be a udf update on the website any help would be much appreciated.

Go to add/remove programs and do a repair install - you should be able to take it out that way.

In the meantime, go to help, about in any of the Roxio programs and tell us what version it says it is

Edited by gi7omy

It is for XP as well. (Perfectly works for me.)

The patch will ask to uninstall any older versions if it detects them.

If one needs D2D functionality with no crashes he will get it with this patch.

If not, then uninstall is the way to go.

Stas, please listen

The patch was issued for DELL computers

It was for a problem with EMC9 and Vista

To recommend that for earlier versions (especially where we don't even KNOW what version is involved) is very foolhardy

The link was found on DELL's site here.

But if you read this DELL's article carefully, you will realise that it doesn't mention anywhere that the program was created specially for DELL or Vista.

What it says:

Microsoft Windows Vista may report that Sonic Drive Letter Access (a.k.a. Roxio Drag-to-Disc) is incompatible after Windows Vista starts. However, an update is now available for Windows Vista compatibility.

And later:

Click the Roxio Drag-to-Disc Download link.

The File Download window appears.

So it refers to this program as "Roxio Drag-to-Disc Download". No mention that it is for DELL or for Vista.

So I insist (and my experience confirms this) that this program is a standalone installer for "Roxio Drag-to-Disc 9" which fixes lots of bugs present in original version shipped with EMC9 (including Vista incompatibility and BSODs).

You can see the content of d2d3290.exe by opening it in WinRar. You will then see that the content of this file is the same as the content of D2D32_90 folder of EMC9 installation CD.

If you do not believe me, ask developers from Sonic/Roxio. They do not seem to inform you well on this subject (as well as others).

The link will actually help to everyone who uses Drag-to-Disc and experienses problems with it, i.e. BSODs. So far the only thing you were able to tell those people was to stop using Drag-to-Disc and uninstall it completely from a computer, which is not a constructive advice at all. And now that someone (not me) found a real solution which really works you are trying to downplay it as much as you can for reasons I do not understand at all. If you do not like Packet-Writing software, you are entitled to have this opinion, but you are here not to express your personal opinions on various subjects, but to help people in solving problems.

Edited by Stas

Stas: If you follow the path from Dell's site, then what you say is true.

However, if you look at this article, Roxio KB,which links to the same download, you find that it is intended only for Dell PCs and is intended only to fix the D2D driver message on Vista.

If you use a "fix" for anything that it was not intended, you do so at your own risk.

I wish they would date KB articles! It probably was not there when you looked.

Actually James if he'd paused to think - the link was for DELL and it also says (which he quoted and doesn't seem to have read):

"...What it says:

Microsoft Windows Vista may report that Sonic Drive Letter Access..."

The link was found on DELL's site here.

Microsoft Windows Vista may report that Sonic Drive Letter Access (a.k.a. Roxio Drag-to-Disc) is incompatible after Windows Vista starts. .

Sonics DLA is not known as Roxio's "Drag-to-Disc" - they are two complettely different programs that try to do the same thing :blink:

Thanks for your responses guys.

My version of My DVD Le is 6.1.6

I followed Stas's link to the update and so far have not had the same system error message. However I still think that there may be a problem as when I close Roxio Creator Le I am getting a Mediahub.exe Application error.

I am not using this software at the minute anyway as I also have Nero.

PS I am using Windows media center 2005

That particular patch was for Vista - not for XP (and was for Dell machines anyway)

Mediahub would have nothing to do with DLA anyway

What sort of error are you getting and what are you trying to do when it occurs?