Received "Unrecoverable device error..."

Michael_C

Question

I'm burhing to folder set and receive "An unrecoverable device error occurred while Encoding Movie". The video is 173 minutes which is the longest video I've done to date - When I reduce the file size by 30 minutes it encodes without any problem. I don't know if the problem is caused by file size, but it sure looks like it. Since I'm creating a folder set, I would think file size shouldn't be limited. I've created folder sets where video is ~150 min without any problem, and successfully copied them to a single layer disc.

I changed the disc size to 8.5 gigs even though I'm not burning directly to disc - Grasping at straws about now!

Any ideas?

Michael

7 answers to this question

Try writing an image file first (select the hard drive as destination) and then open that .iso or .c2d (depending which format you picked) with disc copy and see how that goes.

The image file (iso) was created without error, but when I went to copy to disc it esceeded the disc size - The image file was 5.26 gigs - I was surprised it created such a large image file with the settings I had made. I Would have thought it would have used my Disc Size setting of 4.7 gigs and the Quality setting of "fit to disc", and created an image file of 4.7 gigs.

Michael

OK - open that image file with Disc Copy and it will shrink it to fit the DVD (with a small loss of quality which may or may not be noticable)

In general you have to forget file size in rendering and think time - 1 hour = 1 DVD at best quality

OK - open that image file with Disc Copy and it will shrink it to fit the DVD (with a small loss of quality which may or may not be noticable)

In general you have to forget file size in rendering and think time - 1 hour = 1 DVD at best quality

When I open the file with Disc copy, and click on the Copy button I get the warning message which says to insert a disk with at least 5.3 GB free (Possible disc types are DVD+R Double Layer)

It appears as if it doesn't attempt to do any additional compression (to the 5.3 gig iso file).

I have been playing around with trimming the video down to see at which point I can sucessfully create a folder set without encoding error - It doesn't have any problem with 160 minutes - I'm trying for 164 - it fails at 168 and above. Unfortunately it takes a fairly long time to create the folder set.

Michael

It almost certainly is file size - basically a standard DVD will handle about one hour video at good quality - a d/l DVD slightly onder 2 hours. You're pushing close to 3 hours onto one.

Try writing an image file first (select the hard drive as destination) and then open that .iso or .c2d (depending which format you picked) with disc copy and see how that goes.

Another thing worth looking at (which also causes the error you mention) is your graphics drivers - have you updated those from the maker's website and, also, have you installed the latest DirectX (9.0c)?. Again, something that helps is defragging the hard drive before starting to render (but I doubt that's the case here)

It almost certainly is file size - basically a standard DVD will handle about one hour video at good quality - a d/l DVD slightly onder 2 hours. You're pushing close to 3 hours onto one.

Another thing worth looking at (which also causes the error you mention) is your graphics drivers - have you updated those from the maker's website and, also, have you installed the latest DirectX (9.0c)?. Again, something that helps is defragging the hard drive before starting to render (but I doubt that's the case here)

Thanks for the feedback - My video drivers and DriectX are both the latest releases. I'll give the iso file a try, but find it curious I would get an encoding error when building a folder set - the folder set isn't limited by the physical size of a DVD - it doesn't know if I'm going to copy the contents to a single layer disc, or a multi layer disc - the only thought I had was I'm exceeding some internal Roxio limitation - but that's just grasping at straws...

Michael

Strange things happen in computers. We did have one guy who couldn't make a file over 4 GB without it causing errors - turned out in the end he had formatted to FAT32 and that has a file size limit of 4GB

I don't think that's the case with you, but all I'm trying to do is to eliminate things that may possibly cause the problem.

I always make an image anyway - it's a lot less hassle in the end

Strange things happen in computers. We did have one guy who couldn't make a file over 4 GB without it causing errors - turned out in the end he had formatted to FAT32 and that has a file size limit of 4GB

I don't think that's the case with you, but all I'm trying to do is to eliminate things that may possibly cause the problem.

I always make an image anyway - it's a lot less hassle in the end

Good thought, though I'm formattted using NTFS. Plus the VOB files are 1 gig each.

Archived