• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

camera selection

bobstripower

Question

8 answers to this question

I just got the Sony Handycam DCR-HC96 about a month ago. It uses the DV tape. I have consulted enough folks and forums to have made the decision to stay away from the mini DVD and hard drive cameras.

So far, I love this camcorder.

Thanks for the inputs.I also like the HC96 but had another question.I read the reviews which downgrade the DVD and hard drive units because of videi quality, mainly the fact AVI files on HC96 vs MPEG-2 on the others.I was thinking though,doesnt the file get compressed anyway when i burn a DVD thru Roxio.So if Im not editting the video,except to make Videowave DVDs,and perhaps splitting a few times, is the compression really an issue--thanks

...... is the compression really an issue--thanks

It depends.

I personally think it's an issue because every time you decode and reencode, you may lose quality. Plus not all mpeg codecs are the same, so you have a chance of losing quality there.

For me, personally, I haven't seen enough data on the reliability of hard disk camcorders. One of the problems for me with DVD camcorders was the length that you could record, but some of the newer camcorders allow for double sided mini DVDs which will record about an hour on them.

I started editing home analog videos a few years ago when you had to record them to VCR tapes. While it's getting harder to find a VCR to play those tapes, I can still use the tapes, run them through the analog to digital converter on my HC 96, and make new DVDs.

Now they're changing the DVD standards to different standards and my concern would be how long you'll be able to buy hardware that will read those mini DVDs.

So encoding is the major issue, but not the only one. Of course, tapes have their problems too. They're so tiny they tend to get lost. :)

My old Sony camera bit the dust and Im thinking of buying the new hard drive version of the Sony Handycam.Do any of you all know of any hardware/software issues between the new Sony cameras and Roxio 7.5.Thanks for any help--bob

Are you referring to a Sony Digital Camera or a Sony Digital Camcorder? I have a Sony Digital Handycam DCR-TRV 330 that I have been using for so many years. This uses Hi8 MP Digital 8 tapes. You don't need to install any software. I never had a problem capturing the movies that I have videotaped to Roxio EMC. It is very user friendly too. You have to use a Firewire to transfer your movies to Roxio. Hope this helps.

My old Sony camera bit the dust and Im thinking of buying the new hard drive version of the Sony Handycam.Do any of you all know of any hardware/software issues between the new Sony cameras and Roxio 7.5.Thanks for any help--bob

I just got the Sony Handycam DCR-HC96 about a month ago. It uses the DV tape. I have consulted enough folks and forums to have made the decision to stay away from the mini DVD and hard drive cameras.

So far, I love this camcorder.

It depends.

I personally think it's an issue because every time you decode and reencode, you may lose quality. Plus not all mpeg codecs are the same, so you have a chance of losing quality there.

For me, personally, I haven't seen enough data on the reliability of hard disk camcorders. One of the problems for me with DVD camcorders was the length that you could record, but some of the newer camcorders allow for double sided mini DVDs which will record about an hour on them.

I started editing home analog videos a few years ago when you had to record them to VCR tapes. While it's getting harder to find a VCR to play those tapes, I can still use the tapes, run them through the analog to digital converter on my HC 96, and make new DVDs.

Now they're changing the DVD standards to different standards and my concern would be how long you'll be able to buy hardware that will read those mini DVDs.

So encoding is the major issue, but not the only one. Of course, tapes have their problems too. They're so tiny they tend to get lost. :)

As usual,very good input.I do make all my miniDVDS into videowave DVDS,and save the ISO onto an external HD,so as far as changing stds,I think im covered.I also have a Go Video unit,that converts VHS to DVD and vice versa by just plopping in the tape and hitting a button.Just finished doing 60 hours of VHS,and now its all on DVDs and in storage.Anyway,thanks.

I too have been watching the "good, bad & ugly" information about the DVD camcorders. As yet I haven't seen enough "good" about them that would entise me to buy one---yet. I still prefer the mini-DV tape models.

BTW, ml and Bruce have more money to spend than I do, so I had to buy the Sony DCR-HC-36 ( :huh::D:) )and I love it. It has worked great for me for video I have captured using EMC.

Frank...

BTW, ml and Bruce have more money to spend than I do, so I had to buy the Sony DCR-HC-36 ( :huh::D:) )and I love it. It has worked great for me for video I have captured using EMC.

Frank...

Not more money. Just an older Sony digital camcorder that was becoming unreliable. ( Probably had something to do with dropping it and generally rough handling. I'm not easy on camcorders.)

Plus we have a high school senior in our house and capturing the final high school year events was high on our priority list.

Well worth what ever it cost for the HC-96, ml to get those once in a life time senior high school events. I still have my kids "seniors" events on old VCR tapes that I have transferred to DVD's. Priceless !!!

Frank...(BTW--Congrats to the Senior)

Archived