• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Redirect the Installation Target Drive

sluggo042

Hello,

I'm trying to install Easy CD 6 on my computer, but my C:/ drive is nearly full. (Which, incidentally, is why I bought the program, so I can perform a backup of all the files before I begin a major purge on this Windows 98 system.) I do have a D:/ drive with sufficient space, but the installer gives me no opportunity to select a different target drive - it just reports insufficient space, then quits.

Is there any way to perform an installation directed to a drive of my choice? I've searched through the forums and the Roxio support areas, but was unable to find anything addressing this issue.

Thanks for your attention!

Doug G.

As with most apps, any installation to another drive will also need space on the main system drive (that's how windows works and there's no way round that)

What I would suggest tho (to free up space) is the following

Make a temp folder on D: and then go to control panel, system, advanced and set the environment variables for temp and tmp to D:\Temp. Also, right click on my documents and change that from C:\ to D:\ (it will automatically shift all in the folder to the new destination

Again, in control panel, system, set the pagefile to D: and remove the C: one - this will free up more space

Thanks for your quick response!

So let's see if I'm following you here. Let's say I perform these redirects, and I open some space on C:. The ECDC guide says the full installation requires something like 850MB (that's from memory, I'm not at the install computer currently). I'm guessing that these actions you suggest won't clear up the nearly a Gig of space required to install on C:. So if the redirects don't open up enough space for a C: install, then what have I gained with respect to installing ECDC?

Is there perhaps an unstated implication that the installation check that is being performed is aborting because of the lack of temp space, but that if I was to clear up at least some space on C; sufficent to allow the installation to proceed past the check that further along in the installation process I'll be given the chance to direct the install to D:?

Doug G.

Well - pagefile.sys can be huge - normally it's double or even 2.5 times the RAM so the moving of that will clear a LOT of space.

When you actually get the install to start, it's then it asks where you want it to go - if it can't find sufficient space on C for shared files, it will abort before you even get that far

Hi gi7omy,

Short version - I managed to clear out enough garbage manually to make enough space, got the thing installed, and was able to burn a test disk. Mission Accomplished, and thanks for your suggestion, it let me know what I needed to do.

For future reference, and anyone who follows in these footsteps though: I wasn't able to find the controls you mentioned. I'm working with Windows 98 SE - are you referring perhaps to another version of Windows? There was no Advanced tab within Control Panel > System, and no mention at all of environment variables that I could discover. Likewise, no mention anywhere of a "pagefile" setting, in the control panel or anywhere else. Are we talking about the same thing!

Many thanks,

Doug G.

I'm running XP but there are ways to do that in 9x. I'd have to switch to my Linux box and run up 98SE in VMWare and check (it's a long time since I actually did that in 98).

OK - in 9x it's called win386.swp - look for that in system (not sure what the tab would be). I'll check on the remainder later

OK - I rebooted into Linux and ran 98SE in VMWare:

post-2743-1171821435.jpg

It's in Control Panel, System, Performance - set the drive for the swapfile to D: and also fix max and min to the same value (2 - 2.5 times your RAM) to stop it fragmenting. Then delete win386.swp on C:

gi7omy,

Excellent, very clear now. I'll give it a try the next time I'm at that machine in a few days, but I recognize the control panels you posted, and know that I'll be able to work through it. And its a nice tool to have in one's bag of tricks - I suspect you've helped out a lot of people who will wander through here over time. Many thanks to you for taking the time to explain to a confirmed Mac-head something he needed to know about Win98!

Doug G.

Oh I've a few more 98 tricks:

Open msdos.sys in the root (you'll need to change the attributes - it's hidden system)

enter

DrvSpace=0

DblSpace=0

close and reset +h and +s

That will stop the double space drivers loading into memory

Also - try this utility for optimising the cache memory

Archived