• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

100% CPU load using Quick DVD

stxsb

Question

Can anybody tell me why when I try to burn a DVD in Quick DVD or any of the create a DVD program, when I click to burn, it starts to encode the movie and I can watch it encode but my CPU usage shoots up to about 95% and as the encoding progresses it finally gets to 100% and freezes the program. I have no other programs running and before I start, the CPU usage is 1%. I am using a very updated system with a 2 gigs of memory, Asus MB and a Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 CPU, PCIE 7600GS GPU. What could possible be going on only when I try to burn a movie that would max aout a dual core processor.

4 answers to this question

Don't confuse virus protection with malware sweeps - totally different animals.

Download either (or both) of these two programs - they're both free. Adaware will catch stuff that Spybot won't and vice versa.

Then run them after updating - I've seen malware hitting a computer so badly that even opening a website took literally minutes

That is the two of the three that I ran. Spybot, Adware SE and xoftspy. My computer is running perfect! Internet is fast and responsive and all programs zoom with the dual core CPU. Task manager cpu load is 0-1% with no unecessary programs running and memory commit charge is normal. It is only in that one program of EMC9 rendering video that it does this. My computer is a s clean as a baby's butt! I think it all started when the pop-up started to activate mpeg, and again, it worked before. It took only 45 minutes to render and burn a 1.5 hour video. I think it is time to cut my losses on this system hungry program.

Rendering is extremely CPU intensive unfortunately. Before starting it's always best to defrag the hard drive, then shut down ALL background tasks - IMs, anything running that isn't needed and even to do a spyware scan to make sure nothing is there that shouldn't be

Even Pixar with their multi-processor, tons of RAM, computer farms take ages to render even a single frame

You say you have a dual core CPU - can I ask if you are using XP Home or XP Pro?

The reason is that Pro will support SMPs but Home won't. I believe that the lower end of Vista is similar (that Basic won't support SMPs either, but not having that (or even wanting it) I can't be 100% certain

Rendering is extremely CPU intensive unfortunately. Before starting it's always best to defrag the hard drive, then shut down ALL background tasks - IMs, anything running that isn't needed and even to do a spyware scan to make sure nothing is there that shouldn't be

Even Pixar with their multi-processor, tons of RAM, computer farms take ages to render even a single frame

You say you have a dual core CPU - can I ask if you are using XP Home or XP Pro?

The reason is that Pro will support SMPs but Home won't. I believe that the lower end of Vista is similar (that Basic won't support SMPs either, but not having that (or even wanting it) I can't be 100% certain

I am using XP Pro. I have defraged the HD 300 GB SATAll only 25 gigs used. I have run 3 different spyware tools including virus protection Bitdefender 10. I also ran registry mechanic 6. I have done a clean unistall (3 times) according to other post and have no problem loading a fresh install of EMC9 including activation of the mpeg. I have installed fresh installs with virus protection off. I was able to burn DVD's previously with EMC9 and this problem seemed to start recently. Also I have used Prim95 stress test and can not get the CPU load over 75% on both cores for 24 hours. Also I am running IE6 and rolled back from WMP11 back to WMP10.

Don't confuse virus protection with malware sweeps - totally different animals.

Download either (or both) of these two programs - they're both free. Adaware will catch stuff that Spybot won't and vice versa.

Then run them after updating - I've seen malware hitting a computer so badly that even opening a website took literally minutes

Archived