• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator Classic Stopped Working. Why?

Cold Steel

My Creator Classic used to work perfectly. Now each time I attempt to use it, I get a Microsoft error box saying the program had to shut down and offering to send a report to Microsoft. It happens very quickly and doesn't even have time to corrupt my disc. I don't know whether removing the drives in Device Manager would have any effect or not, but does anyone know of any potential problems that might cause this, like a recent Microsoft update?

Just added: Just burned a successful copy with Nero and it completed without any problems. I've been using Creator 6 for the past several years now and it's never failed until now. I've reinstalled several times, using the zap program and manual registry editing. I also recently installed version 9, which doesn't work, and so I have two versions of Creator that are dead in the water. Version 6 has all the updates, too.

My Creator Classic used to work perfectly. Now each time I attempt to use it, I get a Microsoft error box saying the program had to shut down and offering to send a report to Microsoft. It happens very quickly and doesn't even have time to corrupt my disc. I don't know whether removing the drives in Device Manager would have any effect or not, but does anyone know of any potential problems that might cause this, like a recent Microsoft update?

Just added: Just burned a successful copy with Nero and it completed without any problems. I've been using Creator 6 for the past several years now and it's never failed until now. I've reinstalled several times, using the zap program and manual registry editing. I also recently installed version 9, which doesn't work, and so I have two versions of Creator that are dead in the water. Version 6 has all the updates, too.

Try this first.

If you have IE 7 go back to version 6, also if you have WMP 11 go back to 10.

Point of fact! Cold Steel has been unable to get either V6 or V9 to run.

I would suggest it is past time for a reformat and clean install.

Actually it is a good excuse to put in a new drive and after it is up and running, install the old drive as a second drive so you have access to your old files!

I think first it might be a good idea to roll back my system. By this I mean uninstall all the recent Microsoft security updates back to the time version 6 worked. Just the other day my Outlook just stopped working. Couldn't forward any messages or create new ones. So I went back and removed the Outlook security patch for winword. Sure enough, once I had done that, my Outlook worked again.

I've noticed that whenever a new version of Windows comes out, lots of people begin having problems with their current versions. I sometimes wonder if MS purposely slows down or otherwise sabotages the previous version. I mean, if version 6 used to work, now it doesn't, roll back the changes until it does again.

Still, I take meticulous care of my system and make sure it's not cluttered. I know how to check the registry and keep it clean. Thus, I would be surprised if a clean install would do much good. (Besides, I did the clean install thing less than a year ago. It's a horrible process.)

I sometimes wonder if MS purposely slows down or otherwise sabotages the previous version. I mean, if version 6 used to work, now it doesn't, roll back the changes until it does again.

Look no further than Internet Explorer 7 - how that came to be a 'critical' update is beyond the understanding of us mere mortals :)

I do my update downloads manually. If I don't get a complaint on reboot that auto-update has been disabled, I checking.

And any individual update that will take over around 15 minutes, I not only read what it is, I consider if I really NEED it. A 1-hour download for IE 7 was my first clue I didn't want it.

Lynn

Archived