Screen goes black when playing burnt disk

holden190

Question

Hi,

I can successfully burn a DVD-R using my Sony 820A on my PC with no problem. I am using the latest Roxio on my PC with XP SP2.

However, when I attempt to play that recorded disk in the drive, my screen goes totally black. I then have to do a cold reboot. This has happened on many occasions. I have tried to upgrade the firmware, but when the firmware tries to update a black screen appears as well. Any ideas?

9 answers to this question

yeah, the drivers were updated.

The disks play OK on my regular DVD player hooked to my PC.

That sounds like a problem with the video - did you try updating the drivers for that?

If you did, did you uninstall the origibnal drivers (roll it back to that horrible 16 colour screen and install from there)?

Does the disc play in a set-top player?

If they're playing on a set-top box, they're working fine - the PC problem tho seems to me to be down to something else entirely. It could be hardqware related or it could be something is interfering with the playback. At this point I'm totally stumped what it could be.

If the program was faulty, you wouldn't have been able to burn the disc in the first place, but as you say, you can watch it on a DVD player.

Will it open on the PC in any other app? Media Player, etc?

That sounds like a problem with the video - did you try updating the drivers for that?

If you did, did you uninstall the origibnal drivers (roll it back to that horrible 16 colour screen and install from there)?

Does the disc play in a set-top player?

I can never get that far -- as soon as I put the disk in which should give me a chance to select which app to use, the screen goes black.

I have two DVD burners and it happens on both of them. Could it be a virus maybe?

If they're playing on a set-top box, they're working fine - the PC problem tho seems to me to be down to something else entirely. It could be hardqware related or it could be something is interfering with the playback. At this point I'm totally stumped what it could be.

If the program was faulty, you wouldn't have been able to burn the disc in the first place, but as you say, you can watch it on a DVD player.

Will it open on the PC in any other app? Media Player, etc?

Definitely something strange going on here. While I can't see it being a virus or malware, it wouldn't hurt to give it a sweep. Do the AV one first (with the latest definitions if you can) and also try Adaware and Spybot - both free and one catches stuff the other misses). Update them after installing btw - they do update regularly on the latest threats

The only other thing I can think of would be missing codecs. I use these ones myself and the suite also includes gspot to check what codecs may be required

Well, I ran the GSpot utility which identified several missing codecs. I then ran the Codecs program that you recommended and rebooted. The result was when I put a DVD in the drive -- either burnt or commercial -- nothing happened. I heard the disk spin and then nothing happened at all.

I then used System Restore to get back where I was.

One thing I noticed -- when the screen turn black, I still hear the hard drive working. So the problem seems to be in the display. I'm tempted to update my PC's video driver but am frightened to do so.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Definitely something strange going on here. While I can't see it being a virus or malware, it wouldn't hurt to give it a sweep. Do the AV one first (with the latest definitions if you can) and also try Adaware and Spybot - both free and one catches stuff the other misses). Update them after installing btw - they do update regularly on the latest threats

The only other thing I can think of would be missing codecs. I use these ones myself and the suite also includes gspot to check what codecs may be required

Update the driver - first thing to do after you download the new one is to remove the existing one. Force the system back to that horrible looking 16 colour screen and then just run the downloaded program. This will set up the new drivers and hopefully you will be up and running.

Archived