• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

cnet"s top 5 reasons for not buying Vista

sknis

About a week ago I posted the top 5 reasons to buy Vista according to cnet.

Here are the top 5 reasons why not to buy Vista; complain to Cnet is you disagree.

I'm old school. If I don't need it, I won't buy it. :)

I just recently saw this and must say, I can come up with better reasons not to upgrade to Vista than Cnet's 5 reasons.

I'm betting by summer, the drivers and vendor software will be Vista ready and things will be better for those taking the Vista jump. I'm planning on a possible dual boot scenario this summer.

I happened upon by luck a copy of Vista Home Premium this weekend.I'm going to attempt an upgrade from XP sometime this week.I'll run the Advisor first to see about potential conflicts and then install.Who knows how it will go but I got it for free so what the heck.

There are instructions in the booklet about a clean install so if the upgrade doesn't go well I may just try it that way afterwards.I'll see how the upgrade goes first.After my adventures this weekend with my Dads and nieces network I have a little more understanding of it so it may not be so bad.

Once I got into it and looked around a bit it didn't seem so bad.Just different,like all new OS's.

I had a look at the '5 failed OS' list - CP/M wasn't that bad and neither was OS2 (just got squished out with MS DOS and Windows).

Serves IBM right for getting Micro Soft (as it was then) to do the OS for them - they really should have waited for the boss of DR to get back from his break in his light aircraft :)

I happened upon by luck a copy of Vista Home Premium this weekend.I'm going to attempt an upgrade from XP sometime this week.I'll run the Advisor first to see about potential conflicts and then install.Who knows how it will go but I got it for free so what the heck.

There are instructions in the booklet about a clean install so if the upgrade doesn't go well I may just try it that way afterwards.I'll see how the upgrade goes first.After my adventures this weekend with my Dads and nieces network I have a little more understanding of it so it may not be so bad.

Once I got into it and looked around a bit it didn't seem so bad.Just different,like all new OS's.

Terry, it's much quicker (and most likely safer) to do a clean install. A clean install should take you no more than 45 minutes and an upgrade could take hours.

Depending on how it goes, you might think luck was not involved. :)

Thanks Paul,I'll take that advice and go with it.If nothing else I just Ghosted my XP install and can always go back to that in just a little time.Of course,Ghost is one of the apps that Vista doesn't like and Symantec doesn't have a fix for it yet.Oh wait...I thought Roxio was the only one...lol

About a week ago I posted the top 5 reasons to buy Vista according to cnet.

Here are the top 5 reasons why not to buy Vista; complain to Cnet is you disagree.

I'm old school. If I don't need it, I won't buy it. :)

You know, I honestly don't trust CNet anymore. They keep making mind-boggling bad reccomendations, like choosing Norton Internet Security as the best security software, or putting freaking Adaware above Spy Sweeper and Spyware doctor just because it's faster. You want it done fast, or you want it done right?

And that list? Utter crap!

#5 Search is " buried?" It's right there in the start menu! Just click start and there it is. They want it on the desktop? Why? I sure as heck don't! For one thing, I almost never use it, If you just keep your files organized in the first place, there's no need to have search on your desktop.

#4 The Vista Welcome center is pretty much Microsoft-only. Well DUH! That's because it's there to welcome you to vista. That means that it pops up when you've just installed Vista, in which case, that's all there is. What do you expect them to do? Go "hi, weclome to vista, here's a bunch of information on stuff that does not come with this software, and that we don't make, recomend, or support."

#3 Lack of native applications: I've encountered all of four apps that would not install on my system, and those only would not install because I'm using the 64bit version, and they don't install on ANY 64bit OS. Besides, there's still a thousand times more than on a friggin Mac. Oh no, so Apple is dragging its feet with iTunes. Windows Media Player 11 will do everything iTunes does, and it will do it better.

#2. The price: remember, if you have access to a XP CD, you can use the upgrade addition, at which point Vista Basic is only $99.00, up to Ultimate which is $249.00. If you're buying a new system, chances are it's going to come with Vista, so no issue there. Yes, you might need some more RAM and a better video card, but keep in mind that when XP came out, 64MB was the standard amount of ram in a system. There comes a time when software makers need to make a choice between continuing to do what they can with the standard PC configuration, or raise the bar a bit and make something that requires a bit more horse power, and thus can probably do more.

#1 Dissapointment because you might not get all the features you expect. The comparison chart is NOT hard to find. If you're on CNet to begin with, you probably do research before buying software.

Archived