Dell Computers

GOOSEMON

Question

How come I see all these Dell computers with problems? At one time I had a Dell and it was just ok. Nothing specially. After purchasing a preconfigured computer with a bunch of crap on it I vowed not to purchase another one. Anyway, what is the deal with Dell??? :)

Just some friendly conversation...

6 answers to this question

How come I see all these Dell computers with problems? At one time I had a Dell and it was just ok. Nothing specially. After purchasing a preconfigured computer with a bunch of crap on it I vowed not to purchase another one. Anyway, what is the deal with Dell??? :)

Just some friendly conversation...

This is the issue, they stick on a free cut down version of EMC (sonic Products) and then without telling the users that they have done this, the user decides he or she wants to do some real DVD making and go's and gets a EMC product and when they try to install it .... it bums out big time because there are already Drag to Disk and other components of EMC Lite products on there (that don't play nicely with each other) so the users

come here and go off there tree at the board (thinking that roxio staff are here all the time) and say how crappy the software is...ect

but after someone here tells them to remove the D2D parts they go ok.... Thanks Dell for telling your custermers.....

But on a nice note, i can also understand why they put the Light versions on to, as so many want to burn simple disks ect, and it can be nice to have a simple free Light version to do this from as well, but i do think there needs to be a slip of A4 notice or something in the new box that says warning if you want to upgrade the burning software this will happen

I hear what you are saying, however, you don't hear too many complaints with folks that have a Compaq or HP or even a Gateway. Is this because those companies don't provide a burning software.

I agree with the reformat method. I've owned a Gateway and a Dell. Then I struggled to build my own computer. After numerous hours of cursing I was done. Was the heartache worth it? Not at first, but I would definitely build another.

My only quarrel with ROXIO is the hardware vs. software rending. But this is not the place for it. Anyway, hopefully some folks will read this and be enlightened. No matter what you choose (custom vs. prebuilt) always check your software and post kindly to the folks on this forum. They are not out to get you :)

I hear what you are saying, however, you don't hear too many complaints with folks that have a Compaq or HP or even a Gateway. Is this because those companies don't provide a burning software.

I agree with the reformat method. I've owned a Gateway and a Dell. Then I struggled to build my own computer. After numerous hours of cursing I was done. Was the heartache worth it? Not at first, but I would definitely build another.

My only quarrel with ROXIO is the hardware vs. software rending. But this is not the place for it. Anyway, hopefully some folks will read this and be enlightened. No matter what you choose (custom vs. prebuilt) always check your software and post kindly to the folks on this forum. They are not out to get you :)

That may be because Dell outsells the others???? I think Gateway still ships with a Nero lite but I'm not sure. I have no idea what HP ships with but would guess it's an HP branded version of something like Sony does.

I keep saying I will build my own someday but I can't justify the price yet. I know you will get better quality if you build yourself but I've not been plagued by catastrophe enough yet to try it.

Hardware vs Software rendering. That really only crops up if the video isn't capable of doing the render and that's more down to the hardware itself than the app.

As Paul says, Dell seem to shift more boxes than others - Gateway are defunct on this side of the pond, Compaq are now owned by one of the other 'big names'.

Most of the problems seem to come from a combination of things - the OEM s/w which has enough installed to make iut function, but not enough to make it function properly. Additionally, the bottom-end machines are built down to a price and usually come with onboard sound, graphics, etc - then the client buys a full blown copy of EMC because he likes what he has and that's where the trouble starts. The graphics are nowhere near good enough for full video work, they try to install over the existing installation and it gets messed up - next thing is they're here screaming for blood :)

Archived