• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

SOUND! GRAPHIC! VIDEO! BURN!

KAZ

Question

Hello, can you tell me what is the difference between a sound card, video card and graphic card? If I have a camcorder which has the S-VIDEO connections and has connections that can go into a dvd player which one of these would have this? And would this put my footage onto the pc? :D

If I use my computer for video editing, sideshows and burning which one would be appropriate in terms of faster process etc.. :huh:

Also if I have produced a production and have burnt this on to disc, how do I make a copy of this that would be compatible in other countries i.e. America? :)

Many thanks in advance. :D

5 answers to this question

video card/graphics card are the same thing (just two different names - it's the thing that pokes out the back with the connector that sends the video to the computer monitor)

sound card - that also sticks out the back of the computer with the speaker, mic and line sockets

Capturing with S-VHS. Actually I use a cheap and cheerful TV tuner card that has RF (co-ax), S-VHS and composite video connections. Sound is a short patch lead (supplied with the card) that connects to the line socket on the sound card. Just set the tuner to the 'aux' position and it takes a feed from S-VHS

Stuff for the USofA - you will need to re-render it to 30 fps and 525 lines (usually referred, albeit inaccurately' as 'NTSC')

Many thanks for the info, does that mean if i want the output to USA i have to render the project again!!

If i brought a video card would that be good for what i am doing eg video editing etc.. does it make the prcess quicker??Many thanks

Many thanks for the info, does that mean if i want the output to USA i have to render the project again!!

I'm afraid so - it's a totally different TV format.

If i brought a video card would that be good for what i am doing eg video editing etc.. does it make the prcess quicker??Many thanks

It won't make any difference to the time really. Higher end cards can use hardware rendering (which gives you more transitions) but it doesn't need to be the latest, most powerful (and cost a bomb) one - most mid-range cards are just as good for what you're doing

I'm still not sure if you're talking about video/graphics or capture actually.

I'm afraid so - it's a totally different TV format.

It won't make any difference to the time really. Higher end cards can use hardware rendering (which gives you more transitions) but it doesn't need to be the latest, most powerful (and cost a bomb) one - most mid-range cards are just as good for what you're doing

I'm still not sure if you're talking about video/graphics or capture actually.

Video cards for my prdcutions, what do you mean more transactions :)

transitions not transactions :) - the nice effects you get when shifting from scene to scene

The video card just gives you the output to the computer monitor and also helps in the rendering process.

What does increase speed in rendering is a combination of CPU speed, RAM and the graphics card but not by any large extent. On my machine it takes almost the length of the movie running time to render

Archived