• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows Live Messenger ads serve up malware

The Highlander

post-293-1172093819.gif

Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger client for several days has displayed banner ads that attempted to install malware on user's systems.

Microsoft has acknowledged the incident and has removed the offending advertisements.

"We apologize for the inconvenience and are reviewing our ad approval process to reduce the chance of an occurrence such as this happening again," Whitney Burk, a PR manager with Microsoft said in an emailed statement.

The banners inside the Windows Live Messenger advertised Errorsafe, an application that claims to detect and repair computer problems. The software is notorious because it often gets installed without the user's permission and because it presents false security warnings that are intended to make the user purchase a licensed copy of the software.

Most security vendors list Errorsafe and related software such as Winfixer as a potentially unwanted program or a security risk.

"This is very bad news for users of MSN Messenger, and for MSN and Microsoft, " Sandi Hardmeier, a Microsoft 'MVP' wrote on her Spyware Sucks blog.

Continue At Source

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2183789/...essenger-serves

"Windows Live Messenger (WLM) is the latest and greatest version of Microsoft's instant messaging client. Very much like Yahoo instant messenger (YIM), or AOL instant messenger (AIM). "

I wouldn't be surprised if you get more than malware! Any instant messenger service is leaving the door open for the critters to crawl in. I was surprised reading a post here, when so many folks admitted to running one. I thought those days were over when the movie "you got mail" hit the theaters! Maybe I'm overly cautious. Does anyone share folders over (WLM)?

cd

I use it and yahoo - with Symantec AV covering both. I ain't crazy enough to share folders or to hit the banners :)

I have noticed tho that any version of MS Messenger (whether it's called that or Windows Messenger) does have a lot of pop-uips when it's running, but the Ashampoo Winoptimiser has a very good blocker that takes care of those.

But remember with Messenger - this is from the company that brought you Alexa in the browser

Does anyone share folders over (WLM)?

cd

Nope. Although I have viewed pictures on Yahoo IM from friends.

I'll admit to using Yahoo IM and AIM. It allows me to communicate with friends no matter where they are.

I use it to keep in touch with some people 'live' -

'Live' is the key. I have some friends who are 'computer challenged' and I can walk them through problems.

IM is also almost as good as a telephone call because most of my friends are good typists. In fact, it's cheaper and we don't have to burn up cell phone minutes. We chat while reading email, surfing, etc.

Archived