• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC9 backwards compatibility

Old Ranter

Question

I am currently using VideoWave 8 (Premier Suite) and currently working on a number of projects. I would like to upgrade to EMC9 and wonder if my existing .dmsm files can be used in EMC9. Alternatively, can I install EMC9 alongside VideoWave 8 so I can use both. I also have version 5 of VideoWave installed.

8 answers to this question

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just have to try it to see. If I have problems, I can always take it back off. I have been running VideoWave 5 and 8 together without problems, so hopefully EMC9 will work as well.

In reply to Sierratech's comment about Videwave 8 crashing, I have to agree. Mine crashes at least once per hour, much worse than than Videowave 5. More irritating is Videowave 8's habit of not giving you sound when you play back a video clip. When you are trying to sync background music with action on the screen, it's frustrating when there's no sound. I generally double click a transition and the sound comes back.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I installed EMC9 and I was able to use the Videowave 8 .dmsm files without any problems. In general, I've found Videowave 9 less frustrating to use than Videowave 8, though I have run into a problem trying to output a large .avi file (see Program errors, crashes and hangs - Videowave crashes when creating AVI). Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess I'll just have to try it to see. If I have problems, I can always take it back off. I have been running VideoWave 5 and 8 together without problems, so hopefully EMC9 will work as well.

In reply to Sierratech's comment about Videwave 8 crashing, I have to agree. Mine crashes at least once per hour, much worse than than Videowave 5. More irritating is Videowave 8's habit of not giving you sound when you play back a video clip. When you are trying to sync background music with action on the screen, it's frustrating when there's no sound. I generally double click a transition and the sound comes back.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I am currently using VideoWave 8 (Premier Suite) and currently working on a number of projects. I would like to upgrade to EMC9 and wonder if my existing .dmsm files can be used in EMC9. Alternatively, can I install EMC9 alongside VideoWave 8 so I can use both. I also have version 5 of VideoWave installed.

I have Version 8 on my Church Computer but I never could get Videowave 8 to work without crashing..... I stuck with Version 7.5 on my personal computer until MYDVD quick working without warning (I didn't find out until two hours before the project was due).

I can speak about compatibility between 7.5 an version 9 however. All of the Motion (animated stills) will not render in version 9 if created in 7.5 . Quite a Pain since I have lots of Tutorial Slide Shows created in Version 7.5. Version 9 however has a much better "Motion" editor and if you extend a frame's duration the ending point does not have to be redefined as in version 7.5.

I just hope the existing ".dmsm" format maintains future capability, especially when we are forced to upgrade due to sudden software failure or when broke by Microsoft.

Wish I had more information, but I'm sure someone who was able to use version 8.0 reliably will chime in.

-Bob

I believe it can but I'm not 100% sure.

Why don't you download the free trial of V9 and try it before you buy it. If it works, and you decide to buy V9, consider the Deluxe version. The actual applications are the same in the V9 suite and the V9 deluxe but there are several add-ons including a lite version of Sound Soap, extra MyDVD menus, additional CineMagic themes, and the (ever popular :) ) Dazzle DVC 90 capture device. If you have the V 8 Suite, and if you can get those dmsm projects to open, you'll be amazed how much more options you'll have.

BTW, on my computer V8 and V9 did not seem to play well together but V8 and the trial version of V9 were OK. If you run the trial, you'll have to remove it before you install the full version.

Archived