Program Problem

Resistance is Futile

Question

I have just recently updated the latest version of roxio software, version 9 suite. Problems occurred during installation (I rebooted with no software loaded in startup before the roxio install.), so I removed the software and reinstalled, again issues (could not burn any DVD-R or CD-R without a "can't open file error at the end of the burn). Removed software then cleaned the C: drive of any ref. to roxio. Reinstalled and the software seemed ok, until I started it and only "drag-to-disk" could see my drives. All other parts of the program could not see any drive except the C: drive.

I did an uninstall of the drive and let windows install it again. Again, all of XP could see the drives as well as "drag-to-disk", but not roxio 9?

I next tried each version of roxio software I have, with the same results.

I think this may be a corrupted driver for my Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R6112 drive, but all of WinXP and "drag-to-disk" can see the drive, but not "creator classic". I have tried to get updated drivers for winXP without success, and have not been able at this point to find uncorrupted drivers from the original XP disk. I don't want to have to install WinXP from scratch and load 10 Gb+ of other software.

Can anyone point me in a direction that will correct this problem with burning software?

Thank you,

Resistance is Futile!

4 answers to this question

Have you tried removing the drive in Device Manager and rebooting to see if that clears the problem? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's easy and fast to find out.

Also, if you don't plan on using DTD, you might want to uninstall it. Could be a conflict with something else on your system.

Or, maybe the Borg has taken over your computer. ;)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT, I WAS ABLE TO GET 75% OF THE PROGRAM WORKING PROPERLY, BUT NOT "CREATOR CLASSIC". IT CONTINUES TO STOP AFTER THE PROJECT TEST PHASE AND NEVER BEGIN RECORDING. A DIALOG BOX POPS UP WITH "CAN NOT OPEN FILE"? THEN REVERTS BACK TO THE PROJECT SCREEN. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

BY THE WAY, THE FIX OF 75% OF THE PROGRAM WAS BY TRACKING DOWN "SONIC" DRIVERS AND INSTALLING THEM.

YOU MAYBE RIGHT IT IS REMOTELY POSSIBLE ANOTHER CUBE HAS CROSSED SUBSPACE BANDS.

DVD and CD drives don't use drivers per se - If Windows can see it, that's what is required

If however you are referring to the drive firmware, check here

Did you try for an update to the graphics in your system and also for the latest DirectX (9.0c, Feb release) from Microsoft?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE,

AS TO A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO THIS DRIVE, I DID DO THAT AS A GENERAL COURSE. ALTHOUGH THE DRIVE WORKED FINE WITHOUT THIS UPDATE BEFORE THE INSTALLATION ON ROXIO VERSIONS 5, 6, 8.2 BUT NOT V9. SOMETHING HAPPENED DURING THIS SOFTWARE INSTALLATION THAT WON'T ALLOW ALLOW ROXIO (EXCEPT FOR "DRAG-T0-DISK") SEE THE DVD-RW DRIVE.

AS TO DIRECTX 9, THAT ALSO IS A SOMETHING I DO AS NEW UPDATES BECOME AVAILABLE. NO POSITIVE EFFECT.

THERE IS ONE OTHER THING I DID TO TRY TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM, AND THAT IS TO EDIT THE REGISTRY, REMOVING THE UPPER FILTERS AND LOWER FILTERS. THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM OF WINXP NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE THE DRIVE. THEN I INSTALLED THE ROXIO 9 SOFTWARE, AND CREATOR CLASSIC IS UNABLE TO SEE THE DRIVE? THIS WAS A SUGGESTION SUPPLIED BY MICROSOFT. IT WORKS TO A POINT, BUT NO BURNING CD-R OR DVD-R DISKS OTHER THAN BY DRAG AND DROP.

THANKS AGAIN,

RESISTANCE

Have you tried removing the drive in Device Manager and rebooting to see if that clears the problem? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but it's easy and fast to find out.

Also, if you don't plan on using DTD, you might want to uninstall it. Could be a conflict with something else on your system.

Or, maybe the Borg has taken over your computer. ;)

DVD and CD drives don't use drivers per se - If Windows can see it, that's what is required

If however you are referring to the drive firmware, check here

Did you try for an update to the graphics in your system and also for the latest DirectX (9.0c, Feb release) from Microsoft?

Archived