• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

DVD movie to ipod

mbambi

Question

Can someone walk me thru how to take a DVD movie to my ipod? Do I convert it first or does Toast do that for me? I understand how to burn a Video TS file as I've done that before but I don't want to burn anything this time. I just want to take a movie and put it on my iPod.

3 answers to this question

Assuming you have a VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive, place that folder on the desktop (not inside any other folder). In the Toast Media Browser choose DVD with the top button. Select what appears in the window and go down one level with the lower button. With DVD video selected as the format in the Video window, drag the title(s) from the DVD that you want converted for iPod. (If you have a video DVD that isn't copy protected you don't need to have the VIDEO_TS folder on the hard drive. The media browser will see the DVD when you insert the disc).

Toast then extracts the MPEG video from the VIDEO_TS folder. When it is done select the title in the Video window and click the Export button at the bottom. You'll see the iPod export options.

Thanks for the advice. If I do all this does that mean that I need to have a TS file (7.5 GBs) and then when Toast extracts the MPEG I will need 7 GBs more of space. Then it will convert it to an iPod readable file. That must be 15-18 GB of space to get a movie on to my iPod. That's a lot of hard drive space. Am I understanding that right?

Thanks for the advice. If I do all this does that mean that I need to have a TS file (7.5 GBs) and then when Toast extracts the MPEG I will need 7 GBs more of space. Then it will convert it to an iPod readable file. That must be 15-18 GB of space to get a movie on to my iPod. That's a lot of hard drive space. Am I understanding that right?

Yes, you'll need that much space. It might be less if the VIDEO_TS has lots of extras so the movie itself is less than 7 GB. After Toast extracts the MPEG video you can trash the VIDEO_TS folder to free up space for the additional encoding to the iPod format. By the way, Toast writes the extracted MPEG video to the Roxio Converted Items folder. This folder is automatically emptied when you quit Toast unless you change that in Toast preferences.

Archived