• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Music Disc Creator music DVDs - what AC3 sample rate and bit rate?

S P L

Question

What sample rate and bit rate for AC3 audio does Music Disc Creator use when creating a music DVD? And can you change it?

MyDVD lets you select the AC3 sample rate (48 KHz, 44.1 KHz, or 32 KHz) and bit rate (448 Kbps down to 128 Kbps). But Music Disc Creator does not appear to offer any such choice that I can find.

As I will primarily be burning ripped CD tracks and would like to avoid re-sampling, I would like to be able to set the AC3 sample rate on the DVD to 44.1 KHz instead of the 48 KHz that movies typically use. I would also like to pick my own bit rate, as Beethoven warrants the full 448 Kbps, but Eminem, quite frankly, doesn't.

Of course, a lower bit rate would also let me fit more hours of music on one disc. As things stand, an MP3 CD can hold almost half as many hours of music as a DVD produced by Music Disc Creator, and is compatible with a much wider range of devices... so the case for making music DVDs is not looking very compelling without the ability to alter the default settings.

Now, assuming that the defaults can't be changed: then what are they? I would like to be able to rip my CDs to AC3 files at the correct settings to avoid conversion at render time. (Please don't bother telling me I can rip them to WAVs. I know that. There's hard disk space to consider.)

Also, is there a property viewer buried somewhere in EMC9 that can look at a VOB file and determine what audio encoding (LPCM, AC3, or MP2) it uses, at what sample rate, and (for AC3 and MP2) what bit rate?

Thanks.

11 answers to this question

Thanks for the quick response grandpabruce... But that would require a long additional step before burning to the audio DVD as the whole point was to load lots of existing ripped MP3 tracks on to a DVD rather than using a CD burned directly with the MP3 files (which my player can play.)

As an add on to my earlier post, I tried this again using MPEG2 instead of AC3 for the audio format in the audio DVD creator. Same problem. The sound is tolerable but has a peculiar artifact I can best describe as a ringing tone overlaying the music. Sorry if that's a bit of a vague description.

Any other thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Bob

Sound Editor should do what you want it to do. Bring in your .wav file, and Export it to an AC3 file, if that is what you want.

The sample rates, in SPL's post are there, and there is a slider to get whatever bit rate you want from 128kbps to 448 kbps.

I disagree too.

The main two things for which I upgraded to version 9 was for the music DVD and for direct cam-to-dvd.

For the first, I also see audible degradation if I use AC-3 / MPEG2 compression, the sound seems "cut" in some frequency ranges really lo-fi, and this is due to resampling.

But if you don't use compression you loose the capability to store a lot of music on a single DVD since mp3 are converted to wav, so you simply use the DVD as 6 CDs.

I think selection of the sample rate is a must, since this is what is wanted by most users (thay will opt for 44.1).

For the cam-to-DVD I discovered it only works with fireware, not with USB...

I think this is a severe limitation.

Most of the cams are USB only, I have one with fireware, but a friend of mine made it out of order in some tests he made, so I cannot use the USB I/F and I must get data thru MS Movie Maker and manually build something.

I really hope the updates will solve these problems (and many other like the installation one), otherwise I'm over with Roxio.

Terry64

Regarding your first statement. I'm not totally sure what you mean. You have three options. You don't like compression but you want to fit a lot of music on a DVD? It is one or the other you cannot have compressed files that sound as good as an uncompressed file. Some people hear a difference but many do not. I guess that you are one that does, You are a smart person and should have been able to figure out that you cannot make a DVD disc with 50 hours of music (the sales says up to 50 hours) in the wav format.

I also disagree that most camcorders are USB only. That's a statement that you would have to show some facts. If I understand it, your friend screwed up your camera so you only have USB. I'd be pretty mad at anyone who did that and I would have them fix it. You didn't say what kind of camera you have so it is impossible to anyone to offer advice.

I doubt if the new updates or even future versions will solve the problems you have. Perhaps you should look for something else that gives you what you want.

Good-bye.

Hmmm, no menus support?

Since you have been the only one to mention this problem with making an audio DVD, I have to assume that the problem is specific to your situation. As such, advertising (linking) to another product that does the same job for almost everyone is frowned upon. Posting a link to another program, that does something that EMC 9 does not, is acceptable. You'll see posts relating to Sound Soap and to Gold Wave when EMC doesn't do the job.

I don't think you have been reading the posts completely. Please do so. Take the time to write a clear sentence. I'm still trying to figure out your first one, above. Perhaps it is because of your location (see below)

Edit

After a bit of checking, your e-mail address is invalid and your ISP seems to be questionsable. Perhaps you are the author of the program and want some free advertising?

I've made quite a few Audio DVD's and have never run into the problem you're explaining.Could it be that you are trying to listen in some kind of surround sound and the matrixing process is causing the symptom?EMC9 only does 2 channel AC-3.

I downloaded the program you're talking about last week and it does it's own matrixing if you set it that way.it did a good job but I wasn't crazy about the control you have over menu's and other things.

Thanks for the quick response grandpabruce... But that would require a long additional step before burning to the audio DVD as the whole point was to load lots of existing ripped MP3 tracks on to a DVD rather than using a CD burned directly with the MP3 files (which my player can play.)

As an add on to my earlier post, I tried this again using MPEG2 instead of AC3 for the audio format in the audio DVD creator. Same problem. The sound is tolerable but has a peculiar artifact I can best describe as a ringing tone overlaying the music. Sorry if that's a bit of a vague description.

Any other thoughts on this?

Again, thanks for your reply.

Bob

Where did you get the mp3 files? When you hear the hollow ringing, what are you playing the DVD on -- the computer or a DVD player? The only time I heard a hollow sound, the problem was the capture setting from a CD and the "singer" sounded like they were singing in a bucket. I never heard the ringing. What sound card do you have and have you played with the audio acceleration in Direct X (via dxdiag)?

Since you have been the only one to mention this problem with making an audio DVD, I have to assume that the problem is specific to your situation.

Hello sknis,

I must disagree with you on this one. I've got exactly the same problem as mentioned by SPL in the feb 24 posting. Actuallly I was hoping the problem would be solved after I bought a complete new computer system with brand new dvd writers & state of the art soundcard.

It was a great disappointment all over again. I like the possibilities of the menu structure and it all sounds great as long as you DON'T USE the MPEG2 or AC-3 options. With these compression options the result sounds just poor. Let's say lo-fi. I recognise the descripitons in this thread.

I made some music DVD's with other - less advanced - software and they all sound perfect. So I guess there's really a problem with the way Roxio's "Music Disc Creator" is managing my good quality MP3- files in the last step of the proces.

Noci

If you have a video camera that has firewire support, and you don't want to capture via firewire, you don't know a lot about video capture and editing.

May be you and Steven Spielberg knows a lot about it, but I've not seen you in Venice last week... :D

I simply would like to transfer DV tapes (made with my Canon MVX45i) to DVD because I want to be sure my daughter can see everything I recorded about her, so not all recordings have the characteristics and quality to be assembled in a movie but they must be stored since you don't know if you'll be able to see a DV tape in 10 or more years.

Anyway, why put a certain feature in a product if you consider this "rubbish for roookies" ?

If that is what I've bought, IT MUST WORK, fullstop.

The same is for resampling, that is the primary topic.

It degrades performances, fullstop.

So sampling selection should be a must.

Oh, if you look for quality you can use the original CDs, in this case you don't even need to buy EMC9.

Last but not least, today I've received the e-mail announcing EMC10.

I knew this was to solution (I've written it somewhere else).

No service pack in all this time, and now you have to pay something to replace your buggy product.

Do you really think this is correct ?

I disagree too.

The main two things for which I upgraded to version 9 was for the music DVD and for direct cam-to-dvd.

For the first, I also see audible degradation if I use AC-3 / MPEG2 compression, the sound seems "cut" in some frequency ranges really lo-fi, and this is due to resampling.

But if you don't use compression you loose the capability to store a lot of music on a single DVD since mp3 are converted to wav, so you simply use the DVD as 6 CDs.

I think selection of the sample rate is a must, since this is what is wanted by most users (thay will opt for 44.1).

Most of the cams are USB only, I have one with fireware, but a friend of mine made it out of order in some tests he made, so I cannot use the USB I/F and I must get data thru MS Movie Maker and manually build something.

I really hope the updates will solve these problems (and many other like the installation one), otherwise I'm over with Roxio.

Terry64

If you have a video camera that has firewire support, and you don't want to capture via firewire, you don't know a lot about video capture and editing.

Anyone able to speak to this question please? I may have a related problem: the audio DVD works just fine and would be a great facility except for the sound quality recording in AC3 being very poor.

Burning from decent quality rips (192kbps MP3's mainly) there is an all-too audible hollow ringing sound on playback. Just about tolerable but certainly nowhere near the quality of the MP3 played on the same devices. Have tried with 3 playback devices (2 players and 1 PC) and the degradation appears on all three. Sounds like it could be a resampling problem as described below. If there is some way of tweaking the bitrate settings etc that might be the solution.

Many thanks,

Bob

What sample rate and bit rate for AC3 audio does Music Disc Creator use when creating a music DVD? And can you change it?

MyDVD lets you select the AC3 sample rate (48 KHz, 44.1 KHz, or 32 KHz) and bit rate (448 Kbps down to 128 Kbps). But Music Disc Creator does not appear to offer any such choice that I can find.

As I will primarily be burning ripped CD tracks and would like to avoid re-sampling, I would like to be able to set the AC3 sample rate on the DVD to 44.1 KHz instead of the 48 KHz that movies typically use. I would also like to pick my own bit rate, as Beethoven warrants the full 448 Kbps, but Eminem, quite frankly, doesn't.

Of course, a lower bit rate would also let me fit more hours of music on one disc. As things stand, an MP3 CD can hold almost half as many hours of music as a DVD produced by Music Disc Creator, and is compatible with a much wider range of devices... so the case for making music DVDs is not looking very compelling without the ability to alter the default settings.

Now, assuming that the defaults can't be changed: then what are they? I would like to be able to rip my CDs to AC3 files at the correct settings to avoid conversion at render time. (Please don't bother telling me I can rip them to WAVs. I know that. There's hard disk space to consider.)

Also, is there a property viewer buried somewhere in EMC9 that can look at a VOB file and determine what audio encoding (LPCM, AC3, or MP2) it uses, at what sample rate, and (for AC3 and MP2) what bit rate?

Thanks.

I disagree too.

Terry64

Anyone able to speak to this question please? I may have a related problem: the audio DVD works just fine and would be a great facility except for the sound quality recording in AC3 being very poor.

Burning from decent quality rips (192kbps MP3's mainly) there is an all-too audible hollow ringing sound on playback. Just about tolerable but certainly nowhere near the quality of the MP3 played on the same devices. Have tried with 3 playback devices (2 players and 1 PC) and the degradation appears on all three. Sounds like it could be a resampling problem as described below. If there is some way of tweaking the bitrate settings etc that might be the solution.

Many thanks,

Bob

Sound Editor should do what you want it to do. Bring in your .wav file, and Export it to an AC3 file, if that is what you want.

The sample rates, in SPL's post are there, and there is a slider to get whatever bit rate you want from 128kbps to 448 kbps.

Archived