• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sharing videos

Guest ml

Like many on these boards, I've been searching for a way to share videos online with a group of friends WITHOUT sharing the videos with the entire world. There are some free online storage sites like Xdrive which allow you to share, but also require the people who want to view the video to create a new account with them. And as a friend discovered, many businesses block access to the sites from their computers for security reasons.

Finally found a good way to share videos.

Google will allow you to create an account, http://video.search.yahoo.com/video?ei=UTF...slv7-msgr&p=

, upload your videos, and email a LINK to friends and family.

I make my videos UNLISTED, and under the ADVANCED tab are options which allow you to let them create a website link or download the video to their computer. ( I let them download, but not link to a website.)

You should be aware that listings are not immediately available because the videos undergo a screening process before they are made available. They say that it will take up to several hours, but mine was available in less than two hours.

The technical requirements for the videos are here: http://video.google.com/support/bin/answer...=1488&hl=en

If anyone else knows of another good site, please share......

I have an Xdrive account but I believe you can only send up to 100mb at a time for free. And, yes, everyone has to register (it's from AOL). Yousendit.com is similar in file sizes I believe.

A new one I haven't tried and can't seem to get any straight answers as far as single file limits is Beamfile. It says up to 5GB for free (which Xdrive says) but since I don't see the fine print I'm not sure.

Like many on these boards, I've been searching for a way to share videos online with a group of friends WITHOUT sharing the videos with the entire world. There are some free online storage sites like Xdrive which allow you to share, but also require the people who want to view the video to create a new account with them. And as a friend discovered, many businesses block access to the sites from their computers for security reasons.

Google will allow you to create an account, http://video.search.yahoo.com/video?ei=UTF...slv7-msgr&p=

I make my videos UNLISTED, and under the ADVANCED tab are options which allow you to let them create a website link or download the video to their computer. ( I let them download, but not link to a website.)

You should be aware that listings are not immediately available because the videos undergo a screening process before they are made available. They say that it will take up to several hours, but mine was available in less than two hours.

The technical requirements for the videos are here: http://video.google.com/support/bin/answer...=1488&hl=en

If you have a regular type internet web site, there are ways of password protecting directories in it.

Example :

What are protected directories?

(Company name deleted) lets you set up password-protected directories for administrative areas and

pages on your site that you do not want the public to access.

For example, if you have files that should only be accessed by authorized users,

you can password-protect those files by placing them in a folder and setting up a

username and password for that folder. When a user tries to access those files,

they will be prompted to enter a username and password. Access will not be

granted without the correct username and password.

You can get a web site for about $4 a month with 10G web space. Plenty of room for videos.

Good information, but I don't want to put these videos on a website for the entire world to see. I tried xdrive, but some people didn't want to set up an account.

Here's the scenerio....... I'm taping a high school girls competitive dance performance. I know some parents would object to making the video available to everyone on the web because of the form fitting costumes.

The team is also involved in a competition so we don't want other teams to be able to analyze their performance. ( It's amazing how many people do NOT have video camcorders.)

Other parents and the girls want to see their performance before the next competition but DON'T want the video available to the general public. Burning it to a DVD/CD and distributing to 30 other parents would require more time, effort and expense than I'm willing to do every week.

I also want to share snippets of the video which features 'our' teen with family and friends in other states, but they are 'computer challenged' and they have limited success downloading and playing video.

Sooooooo...... I need a place where I can upload easily, share easily through a link, is not available to the general public. So far, the Google site is the only one I've found that allows me to do that.......The only drawback is the delay in posting. I need to verify that the link is working by sending it to my email before I share it with other.

I've got exactly the same problem, so I'm really glad for the tip. However, I'm trying to make a slideshow and send it as a birthday card, sort of like an e-card. So far what I've seen from the e-card making programs seem too stifled, so I'd rather use my own slideshow. That means that when the recipient view it, I'd like for the video to be off in a tiny window deep in a forrest of ads. I realize that it's the ads that make the program free. In light of this I've decided that I'm actually willing to PAY somebody to host my video, just so that somebody else can click on a link and have the video run.

Does anybody know of a site where I can upload a video and have it viewed with minimal or (even better) no ads, or at least, ads that only appear after the video is finished?

Does anybody know of a site where I can upload a video and have it viewed with minimal or (even better) no ads, or at least, ads that only appear after the video is finished?

You get ads before the video runs? That's strange because it doesn't happen when I click on a link that I sent from Google. Now there are ads all around the screen, but not on the screen itself.

If you search the internet, you'll find many companies that allow you to pay to share your videos and photo slideshows. I haven't tried any of them so I cannot make a recommendation.

Please let us know what you find.

You get ads before the video runs? That's strange because it doesn't happen when I click on a link that I sent from Google. Now there are ads all around the screen, but not on the screen itself.

If you search the internet, you'll find many companies that allow you to pay to share your videos and photo slideshows. I haven't tried any of them so I cannot make a recommendation.

Please let us know what you find.

Welllllllllllllllll, I opened up a Google account, uploaded my video, and..... waited. Boy, it was taking a long time to upload (a two-minute video???). So I decided to leave the computer alone and go about my day, instead of wasting time watching paint dry. I just got back -- three hours later. The thing is still "downloading," if you believe the message on the screen.

So much for Google. Anybody else had this problem?

I'll get back to you if I find anything good on a for-pay basis. But first I hope somebody can help me, for example, ml. You say there are lots of sites out there who will host a video for payment, but if I Google "upload video" or anything similar, all I get is the free sites. Makes sense; as far as I know Google lists sites in order of traffic flow, and most people want the free ones. But can anybody give me someplace to start if I'm looking for a video hosting site that isn't free?

The thing is still "downloading," if you believe the message on the screen.

You should be uploading, not downloading. If you're trying to download the Google uploader, I'd make certain that you've got your popup blockers turned off or check with Google help.

To get a file that you can use on the internet, in VideoWave, you need to do a File\ Output Production to....and I chose an Internet file. (Requirements will probably vary by ISP).

If you're using a telephone connection, uploading video is difficult because connections often 'time out' before everything is downloaded/uploaded.

Archived