Scheduling backups

tonyvanw

Question

I use an external hard drive for backups. I made the initial backup. Now I want to use the scheduler. The scheduler will not allow me to select the external hard drive as the target. It only allows the DVD drive as the target and there does not seem to be a way to select another target.

What is the solution?

5 answers to this question

Try this. Create a backup job to a file and save it. Close BUMP. Reopen BUMP, open that job you created and check the schedule block next to where to back up. They hit the Schedule button on the right hand bottom corner. It will ask for a password to log on as administrator. It will not work without it, even if you normally don't use one.

That process allowed me to schedule a backup.

What are you using to do the backup?

If it's anything in the Roxio side, the program suite is designed for CD/DVD operation so it won't see a hard drive as a destination (just optical drives).

You may need a 'proper' dedicated backup program such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost for that

What are you using to do the backup?

If it's anything in the Roxio side, the program suite is designed for CD/DVD operation so it won't see a hard drive as a destination (just optical drives).

You may need a 'proper' dedicated backup program such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost for that

I am using Roxio Backup MyPC 2006. I just purchased the product. I bought it because the box indicates "Backup to hard drives, network and shared devices - even tape drives" I was able to do a full backup using the backup wizard, however when you select the "Automatic Data Protection" option, it will not allow anything other than a DVD drive. An important feature for my purchase was the ability to schedule backups

I hope this answers your question.

Any assistance will be most appreciated.

Tony

I don't use it myself (I'm old-fashioned and I use a copy of the old Powerquest Drive Image mainly because I was one of the PQ beta testers before Symantec took them over)

A woprk-round. You could try using the MS Scheduler to see if that will start it for you rather than using the internal scheduling

Maybe someone else would have an idea here

Archived