YouPutz

MyDVD will not recognize blank DVD

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, let me know if I need to move it.

Anyway, I have a brand new HP m7640n Multimedia PC with the TSST corp DVD burner and MyDVD Plus v7 installed.

Problem is: When trying to burn a DVD it just keeps repeating with the error message of "Please insert a blank disc".

Strange thing is when I go to look at DVD properties it recognizes the blank DVD. As soon as I click burn, it switches over to "insert a blank disc". Also, i have burned DVDs on this PC using Media center, so I know the drive does not have an issue with the discs, only Sonic does. I am using Maxell DVD+R. I'm willing to try a different brand disc when I get to the store, but It seems to be a software issue, as Media Center (and a trial version of a DVD copy program) seem to work just fine. I also tried the PX updater with no difference.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

21 answers to this question

First of all, check for a firmware yupdate for your DVD drive.

It's also possible that the disc you are using is faulty

One rather odd question - did you by any chance 'format' the disc before doing anything? Some people think that formatting is needed (it isn't for normal use). You just take a blank disc off the spindle, pop it in and leave it as is

Can you let us know your drive specs and computer specs and also what it was you were trying to do and with which program in the suite?

Nope, didn't format or anything. I have now tried both Maxell and Memorex discs with no luck.

The machine is an HP m7640n, Athlon X2, XP Service Pack 2.

Sonic Digital Media Plus v7

PX build 3.0.659, 85

The drive is TSST TS-H652L. I went to HP's site and updated the firmware to 0803. No change with that either.

I seem to be hitting a brick wall with everything I try now. I tried to re-do the PX engine since I downloaded the firmware, and Roxio's link for downloading the PXengine jsut keeps re-directing me to thier main "Ask RoxAnn" page. (The first time I updated the PX engine was from a link posted on a forum, so i wanted to make sure I had the latest).

OK, so i figure Roxio wants me to register my product and fill out my profile, so I tried to do that, and couldn't even get that done. The Roxio - My Account page asks me to select my product, so I select MyDVD, and then it wants the version. I have Sonic Digital Media Plus v7, (PC also has an icon for MyDVD which opens up the same program). The pull-down box has no such thing to even register this product. What gives? Why is it so hard to make sure everything is up to date?

Anyways, I tried a new brand of media today, same results. I put the disk in and the box in the lower left says "disk blank, 4.4Gb Free". As soon as I click burn, it spits it out and tells me to put a blank in.

All I am trying to do is copy a non-copyrighted video for the moment. (wife is making me copy the wedding video before it gets anymore scratched). I have tried the direct copy, and burning an image.

Media player and 1 Click copy DVD burn just fine. So there is something that needs to be fixed from within Sonic.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks!!!!

Edited by YouPutz

One further clarification.

The problem program is Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7

Using the quick links of copy disc or burn image cause the condition.

I can put a blank disk in. It will show up as a blank under the "disc information" link. I select the image to burn, which is about a 20 minute video. The box in the corner switches from saying 4.7Gb free to 2.2 Gb free. So far so good. Then I click burn and it spits out the disc almost immediately and asks for a blank.

I actually took the time to create a new DVD project under MyDVD plus, and it actually burned just fine there, just seems to be the Digital Media utility for copying and burning images.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

One more bit of information

I took the time today to try making a data DVD under Sonic DigitalMedia Plus v7. It worked!

The only part of the program that does not work is under the "Copy CD" heading, so the burn from image or copy exhibits the bad behavior.

I looked at the "About Software" tab. It looks like there is a separate module for each function.

I see for the DVD copy it is:

Module Name: Sonic Record Now Copy

Version 2.0.6

Build 206B33T, HPC

is there a way to make sure this part is up to date?

Can anyone help?

Usually there is a setting in 'Help' to let you check for updates

However, did you check for a firmware update from the drive maker yet? Also try a different brand of DVD.

The firmware in the drive detects the make, speed, etc of the disc and reports that back to the program, which is why firmware updates are so important

Yep firmware is updated to 0803, and 2 brands of dvd's have been tried.

Other parts of the program work, just this one sections seems to behaving badly.

Anybody have any experience with this drive or HP media PCs in general?

It could still be down to the media - try a different brand

No solution, but FWIW...

I have the same drive in a different HP (Pavillion a1450N). In my case, the disk recognition issues I have observed involved using DVD-RWs (Sony, Maxell). The drive will initially recognize the disks when they have not previously been used. But on subsequent attempts to rewrite or in some cases, even to read the -RW disks written by the same drive, I get the no disk found type of errors. Note that while these failures occur more often than not, they are not consistent. That is, I have on occasion, been able to rewrite a given disk more than once between failures.

I have not been able to locate any later firmware/drivers for this device and I am now considering just replacing it.

BTW - I had gotten this H652L drive as a warranty replacement from HP to replace the original TSST-H552L drive that came with this PC (that drive would not recognize ANY RW disks -new or otherwise). They sent me the H652L because they no longer stocked the 552s.

John

Thanks for the advice on the RW with this drive.

Does anybody have any ideas beside trying differnent media? I have now tried 3, (Maxell, Memorex and HP). If this program cannot recognize these major brands I don't think it is worth much.

I have used 2 other programs and this drive to burn with, so it is not the media and it is not the drive. There is some bug or some issue with the program that causes it not to recognize the media in the drive. Is there someone from Roxio that could offer some advice on troubleshooting? I'm sure it has to be something silly and simple as a missing file or dll or setting somewhere.

This is an almost new PC with a factory install of the program. I have tried the Update under the help to see if there are any updates for the program, and all it does is give me a sales pitch to upgrade to version 9. I won't consider doing that until I know Roxio will work.

Anything else i can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice on the RW with this drive.

Does anybody have any ideas beside trying differnent media? I have now tried 3, (Maxell, Memorex and HP). If this program cannot recognize these major brands I don't think it is worth much.

I have used 2 other programs and this drive to burn with, so it is not the media and it is not the drive. There is some bug or some issue with the program that causes it not to recognize the media in the drive. Is there someone from Roxio that could offer some advice on troubleshooting? I'm sure it has to be something silly and simple as a missing file or dll or setting somewhere.

This is an almost new PC with a factory install of the program. I have tried the Update under the help to see if there are any updates for the program, and all it does is give me a sales pitch to upgrade to version 9. I won't consider doing that until I know Roxio will work.

Anything else i can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

I don;t see it mentioned in this thread, so thought I would bring it up. Do you have IE 7 and or WMP 11 installed? One or both of those could be the culprit if you do, especially IE 7.

The only other thing that I thoguht of while reading the thread is that maybe there is a conflict with some other burning software on your system, like the "trial version of a DVD copy program" you noted. It's not uncommon when using multiple cd/dvd products to come across conflicts. You could try uninstalling some of the other ones to see if that helps.

Thanks for the help Larry and marlin.

The problem happenned before I downloaded the other trial version, so it's not that. I have since uninstalled anyways.

Now I suppose it could be IE7, it's what the PC came with. Is there a way to troubleshoot this without completely uninstalling? (Selective startup or something? )

Thanks for the help Larry and marlin.

The problem happenned before I downloaded the other trial version, so it's not that. I have since uninstalled anyways.

Now I suppose it could be IE7, it's what the PC came with. Is there a way to troubleshoot this without completely uninstalling? (Selective startup or something? )

It most definitely could be IE 7. You should be able to unistall it thru Add/Remove programs.

Just curious, did you get this pc second hand or new? Just wondering as you posted earlier that it has XP, for which IE 7 was only an update that could be installed, it is not required. XP installs with IE 6.

Also btw, did you try the pxengine file marlin posted?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, let me know if I need to move it.

Anyway, I have a brand new HP m7640n Multimedia PC with the TSST corp DVD burner and MyDVD Plus v7 installed.

Problem is: When trying to burn a DVD it just keeps repeating with the error message of "Please insert a blank disc".

Strange thing is when I go to look at DVD properties it recognizes the blank DVD. As soon as I click burn, it switches over to "insert a blank disc". Also, i have burned DVDs on this PC using Media center, so I know the drive does not have an issue with the discs, only Sonic does. I am using Maxell DVD+R. I'm willing to try a different brand disc when I get to the store, but It seems to be a software issue, as Media Center (and a trial version of a DVD copy program) seem to work just fine. I also tried the PX updater with no difference.

Can anybody help?

Thanks!

I have been using MyDVD Studio for some time now, and all of a sudden while burning a DVD slide show, it came up with the message "error occured" and kicked out the dvd. After that every disk I would put it, it did not recongize. It kept telling me to put in a disk. After hours of working on this, including updateing the firmware, I uninstalled anything with MyDVD, including folders in the registry. I re installed and it works. Let me know if this helps.

Fred

xekester,

Funny your post is almost identical to my situation. I have a Compaq SR1630NX that came with DigitalMedia Plus v7. Also had the DVD drive replaced with a H652L drive as a warranty replacement. Worked great for months using the same DVD+RW Memorex discs. Then just recently its giving the same errors, insert a blank or rewritable disc. If I use a new disc it writes no problem, then can't recognize it, even in explorer it won't show the disc or contents. But taking the disc to another computer it shows the contents just fine. I did also try an erase disc first and that seemed to allow it to recognize the disc and write.

If you haven't found it yet, here's a firmware update for this drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN

Unfortunately that firmware update did nothing for my problem so I'm guessing it won't help you either.

I've also found the error to be inconsistent, but mine is now to the point where it is almost everytime.

xekester,

Funny your post is almost identical to my situation. I have a Compaq SR1630NX that came with DigitalMedia Plus v7. Also had the DVD drive replaced with a H652L drive as a warranty replacement. Worked great for months using the same DVD+RW Memorex discs. Then just recently its giving the same errors, insert a blank or rewritable disc. If I use a new disc it writes no problem, then can't recognize it, even in explorer it won't show the disc or contents. But taking the disc to another computer it shows the contents just fine. I did also try an erase disc first and that seemed to allow it to recognize the disc and write.

If you haven't found it yet, here's a firmware update for this drive:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...=reg_R1002_USEN

Unfortunately that firmware update did nothing for my problem so I'm guessing it won't help you either.

I've also found the error to be inconsistent, but mine is now to the point where it is almost everytime.

Did you also install IE7 or WMP 11? The should be uninstalled as they can cause problems like this.

I too am having this problem. In fact, caused my computer to crash and fail because I kept uninstalling and installing programs because I thought they were the culpits.

I never had a problem before and all of a sudden my burners (have one in computer and an external TDK 8X burner) which worked fine before, started to tell me that there was no disk in when I had a new blank disk in either drive. I tried using both my TDK and one that is in my computer. I am using both TDK and Sony disks, again no trouble in the past.

Unfortunately TDK no longer makes burners so no help there other than to delete all my Roxio softwear which created the final blow to my computer being very mixed up.

I have XP Prof. with a brand new HD installed but my TDK will not burn using Sonic's MY DVD program. I decided to let just the Roxio Easy Creator 8 (My DVD softwear) be installed rather than the Roxio Easy Creator 6 that came with burner, be my burning program...still no good. I was told by IBM sometimes having too many of the same kind of program creates problems...not sure what to do next.

Hope if you solve this problem you will post it here. Thanks

Basket

I removed all the software and reinstalled, deinstalled the device and reinstalled, removed the software and tried a trial version of Nero 7 all with the same results. But my problem quickly went from a random issue to a constant issue where the drive would not even recognize a DVD movie when it was a problem only with RW discs.

Ordered a new Samsung SH-S182M DVD Burner with Nero software and works fine with the same discs that were causing the problems.

I removed all the software and reinstalled, deinstalled the device and reinstalled, removed the software and tried a trial version of Nero 7 all with the same results. But my problem quickly went from a random issue to a constant issue where the drive would not even recognize a DVD movie when it was a problem only with RW discs.

Ordered a new Samsung SH-S182M DVD Burner with Nero software and works fine with the same discs that were causing the problems.

So your problem was the burner going bad. That's a bummer. Good to hear it's working now with the new one.