• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Jaybird

Video compilation MPEG-4 to DVD+R How Long?

Question

Hello I have a P4 HT @ 3.4 GHz w/ 2GB RAM and a ATI 9600 series graphics card w/ 256MB I am trying to burn a DVD video playable in a home dvd player of a MPEG-4 file the file is 1hr 30min long itself when burning it to a dvd disc how long approxamently should this process take? I am asking because it seems to be taking an eternity to complete!! I am trying to complete this task in REMC 9 using Roxio Disc Copyer, Video compilation. Thank you Jason

14 answers to this question

At a bare minimum, I would say 2 hours at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see it take 3 - 5 hours tho.

Hello I have a P4 HT @ 3.4 GHz w/ 2GB RAM and a ATI 9600 series graphics card w/ 256MB I am trying to burn a DVD video playable in a home dvd player of a MPEG-4 file the file is 1hr 30min long itself when burning it to a dvd disc how long approxamently should this process take? I am asking because it seems to be taking an eternity to complete!! I am trying to complete this task in REMC 9 using Roxio Disc Copyer, Video compilation. Thank you Jason

It's impossible to tell you how long it should take but keep in mind that in order to make a dvd from an mpeg-4 file, it has to first be made dvd compliant and that is what takes time. My system is a bit less beefy than yours and on my system, I would guess it might take twice the video time (3 hrs---I don't usually time it.)

How long has it taken for you?

You should try not using the system while it's working and turn off any background programs and even disconnect from the net if you want to be really anal about it. I don't but if a software update check pops in, a virus scan, spyware scan, etc. it can slow things down a bit.

It's impossible to tell you how long it should take but keep in mind that in order to make a dvd from an mpeg-4 file, it has to first be made dvd compliant and that is what takes time. My system is a bit less beefy than yours and on my system, I would guess it might take twice the video time (3 hrs---I don't usually time it.)

How long has it taken for you?

You should try not using the system while it's working and turn off any background programs and even disconnect from the net if you want to be really anal about it. I don't but if a software update check pops in, a virus scan, spyware scan, etc. it can slow things down a bit.

Its has not taken as long as you both are saying, Right now its @ 57% and thats been about a little over 30 minutes ago I guess I was just being impatient I had no idea the amount of CPU usage it takes till i took a look at my performance tab in windows task manager its about 80% to 90% in both processor cores......thank you for your response. Now i know that its normal to take that long..... :)

Its has not taken as long as you both are saying, Right now its @ 57% and thats been about a little over 30 minutes ago I guess I was just being impatient I had no idea the amount of CPU usage it takes till i took a look at my performance tab in windows task manager its about 80% to 90% in both processor cores......thank you for your response. Now i know that its normal to take that long..... :)
That's excellent for processing time. Typically the best anyone has reported when using a high end machine, is an encoding time of approx 1:1 with the length of the video file. Then throw in another 10 - 30 min for the burn to disc, depending on the size of the files and burn speed of the disc/drive.

That's excellent for processing time. Typically the best anyone has reported when using a high end machine, is an encoding time of approx 1:1 with the length of the video file. Then throw in another 10 - 30 min for the burn to disc, depending on the size of the files and burn speed of the disc/drive.

Thank you for your time its nice to know that i'm actually ahead of the curve!

Thank you for your time its nice to know that i'm actually ahead of the curve!

I hope that your movie video works out. I have never seen any file encode that fast. You are well ahead of the curve!

I hope that your movie video works out. I have never seen any file encode that fast. You are well ahead of the curve!

Yup works perfectly im watching it on my dvd player right now on my television I have full control over the dvd menus and everything!!!

Probably a Intel CPU, Conroe or Kentsfield! :lol::lol::lol:

cd ;)

Yup works perfectly im watching it on my dvd player right now on my television I have full control over the dvd menus and everything!!!

High fives to you!

cd ;)

I have a P4 HT @ 3.4 GHz w/ 2GB RAM and a ATI 9600 series graphics card w/ 256MB :P

I have a P4 HT @ 3.4 GHz w/ 2GB RAM and a ATI 9600 series graphics card w/ 256MB

I know a guy that dumped a old system like that for a AMD 4600+ Dual-Core............

cd

I know a guy that dumped a old system like that for a AMD 4600+ Dual-Core............

cd

Yah i'm looking into buying a new system here in the near future but i'm still looking for Intel hopefully a quad core for the right price!!

cd

Oh my, you are on a roll today! :lol: I think that I know the same guy. :D

cd ;)

VERY FUNNY ha .......... ha...........ha......... (Conroe or Kentsfield)........no not, conroe = dual core, nor Kentsfield intel's quad core........ :rolleyes:

Oh my, you are on a roll today! :lol: I think that I know the same guy. :D

Hummm could it be you perhaps :rolleyes: