• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

And now some good news

bellatori

Question

So who hasn't had problems with EMC9? <_< There is a plus side... yup honest. I have been trying most of the bits of EMC9 and they do appear to work with Vista. :D the remaining problem seems to be linked to Drag to Disk. :angry: I cannot get it to work even though I tried the Dell patch. Another post on the site points out the answer which I have also noted. If you use the EMC Classic disc creation rather than drag to disc it then appears to work fine. I have created both CDR and DVD this way. :) It is annoying that DtD does not work and doubly so when Roxio employees don't seem that sympathetic but I am pretty confident that there will be a solution eventually. Sonic cannot afford not to.

Clean Vista install followed by a clean EMC9 install and use the Dell patch (it doen't always solve the DtD fault but it does remove the annoying startup blocked driver notice) and you should be able to work around everything. Whilst the wimp out of 'its Microsoft's fault, isn't terribly consoling we really have to have faith in Sonic to do the right thing. I looked at Nero issues and they (more politely Sonic, please note) have many problems also.

So, in summary, I am annoyed; I am not impressed by the wimp out, but I feel I have to believe that Sonic will deliver.

Bellatori

12 answers to this question

Why oh why do people keep trying to use D2D?

Take the advice of these forums and don't use it.

For a very simple reason... I have EMC8 on XPSP2 and D2D works flawlessly and is both simple and easy to use. I regularly want quick CDs for work purposes and this fits the bill. It is very convenient and I am not one to knock convenience. OK so I could use the classic creator which is what I do with Vista because D2D doesn't work but then I am basically lazy so what can I say.... in goes the disc, drag the files on and get on with something else... Of course I can manage without it but why should I.... :mellow:

Just to add my bit here - D2D was 'Vista Ready and Compatible' - well until Vista actually hit the shelves when MS released a zero-day patch which totally fubared it. As far as anyone knows, this issue is being worked on (it is a Microsoft thing really) and when everything is ready, there will be a patch for EMC9

For a very simple reason... I have EMC8 on XPSP2 and D2D works flawlessly and is both simple and easy to use. I regularly want quick CDs for work purposes and this fits the bill. It is very convenient and I am not one to knock convenience. OK so I could use the classic creator which is what I do with Vista because D2D doesn't work but then I am basically lazy so what can I say.... in goes the disc, drag the files on and get on with something else... Of course I can manage without it but why should I.... :mellow:

Drag to Disc should work, and if you are using it to transfer work files from one computer to another, right away, it is perfect for that.

If you are using it for any other purpose, then eventually, you will have a problem, and being lazy will be a moot point after you are fired for losing files. :) Just adding a little humor here. Not really dissing you.

And the Roxio folks who do visit the boards usually do so on their own time for the most part or to gather information on issues/feature suggestions being posted. The forum's are not a form of contacting tech support.

I would suspect that Sonic/Roxio will let MS get Vista's bugs worked out. No sense in writing code for an OS that is probably going to be changing quite a bit in the next few months.

When the "Dust Settles", Sonic and other software developers that released "Vista Ready" software will then be able to write for a stable and more or less finished product.

Also, unkown issues will become "Known Issues" with fixes. It never fails with a major OS release from MS.

Hanging on to XP for a time to come myself.

Drag to Disc should work, and if you are using it to transfer work files from one computer to another, right away, it is perfect for that.

If you are using it for any other purpose, then eventually, you will have a problem, and being lazy will be a moot point after you are fired for losing files. :) Just adding a little humor here. Not really dissing you.

:D

I take the point though and will bare this in mind.

I haven't even tried D2D in Vista yet because I ALWAYS remove in every OS. Even if it worked, you really don't want to trust it.

You are very correct in starting with a fresh install. Vista has enough problems that you don't want to do an upgrade or those problems will be compounded. Actually, I feel the same way about XP installs.

So who hasn't had problems with EMC9? <_< There is a plus side... yup honest. I have been trying most of the bits of EMC9 and they do appear to work with Vista. :D the remaining problem seems to be linked to Drag to Disk. :angry: I cannot get it to work even though I tried the Dell patch. Another post on the site points out the answer which I have also noted. If you use the EMC Classic disc creation rather than drag to disc it then appears to work fine. I have created both CDR and DVD this way. :) It is annoying that DtD does not work and doubly so when Roxio employees don't seem that sympathetic but I am pretty confident that there will be a solution eventually. Sonic cannot afford not to.

Clean Vista install followed by a clean EMC9 install and use the Dell patch (it doen't always solve the DtD fault but it does remove the annoying startup blocked driver notice) and you should be able to work around everything. Whilst the wimp out of 'its Microsoft's fault, isn't terribly consoling we really have to have faith in Sonic to do the right thing. I looked at Nero issues and they (more politely Sonic, please note) have many problems also.

So, in summary, I am annoyed; I am not impressed by the wimp out, but I feel I have to believe that Sonic will deliver.

Bellatori

Just and FYI. We don't work for Roxio. The folks who post in these forums, are users like you, unless they have a Roxio logo by their name.

As Paul said, you can't trust D2D, or any other packet writing software, when it comes to backing up valuable data files.

When the "Dust Settles", Sonic and other software developers that released "Vista Ready" software will then be able to write for a stable and more or less finished product.

I do agree. It is the rush to the Vista ready logo that I find a bit irksome however. Your comment about the stability of vista is really the issue. I have it on my laptop as a toy. This computer has XP and EMC8 with which I have no complaints at all. D2D works for me every time on this set up. I saw an earlier post which suggested that Roxio could have dome well to hold off and offer a beta version rather than rush in and face the usual MS debacle on release.

Netgear seem to have it about right. There are lots of beta drivers to try but, for example, the 'toaster' (SC101 net storage) is not offering anything until probably the end of the first half of the year. Exactly as you do... they are basically saying stick to XP.

Just and FYI. We don't work for Roxio. The folks who post in these forums, are users like you, unless they have a Roxio logo by their name.

As Paul said, you can't trust D2D, or any other packet writing software, when it comes to backing up valuable data files.

And the Roxio folks who do visit the boards usually do so on their own time for the most part or to gather information on issues/feature suggestions being posted. The forum's are not a form of contacting tech support.

Archived