Media Import - Audio Capture from DVD hangs

ChazInCT

Question

Brand new Dell Inspiron E1705 w/ Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 1.5GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 video controller and Sony DW-Q58A DVD burner. Upgraded to full version of Crator 9 from the trial version that came on the machine.

2 problems.

1) Trying to import audion tracks from non-copy protected DVD. Import hangs at the end of a track (I assume). I first selected all chapters from audio import and the import hung at 3 to 5% completion. Since then, I've tried single tracks on a couple of different DVDs and they consistently hang at 97%. The tracks will play fine in iTunes, but I need to terminate the Media Import app in Task Manager and start again for the next track. Not ideal.

2) I have a Sony RDR-HX715 DVD Recorder in my entertainment system and have burned recordings to DVD+RW and would like to catpture audio for my iPod as well. DVD's play fine and Media Import sees the audio but won't import. I get a dialog box that simply says "Read Error".

Ideas?

TIA

10 answers to this question

Hi Folks,

I'm a new EMC9 user and I also see my computer hang when trying to import audio from a EMC-made audio DVR. When I browse the disk frm within the roxio browser, I see only one track (3.99gb) and no files. there is a video and audio folder but I don't see a .vob file .

I'm running on Windows XP with a Sony DVR+-r/w

Thanks

I have the same problem as your number 2 problem.

I am trying to capture the audio from a DVD I captured from an analog source with my Philips HDRW720 DVD recorder. I have burned the content both to DVD+R and DVD+RW. I get the same "Read Error" on trying to import on either a LITE-ON computer drive or a SONY computer drive. Either disc (+R or +RW) plays fine in either drive, but I can't import.

DVD's play fine and Media Import sees the audio but won't import.
Try using Music Disc Creator. I can import from CD or DVD. Don't use the HOME App either. That seems to be creating some problems.

START>Programs>Roxio EMC 9>Audio>Music Disc Creator

Try that and see if it works.

I think the problem is the fact that it is a DVD VR disc and not a video DVD. Make sure the disc is 'finalized' in the DVD recorder before using in the computer.

The only other suggestion: Copy the VOB files to the hard drive and then use Media Manager to extract the audio.

Open Media manager

Use the 'Yellow Folder' mode and navigate to the VOB

RIGHT MOUSE click on the VOB and select EXTRACT AUDIO.

Still doesn't work. And, yes, the disc was finalized in the DVD recorder.

[by the way, I can't seem to copy similarly recorded DVD+RWs with the Disc Copier (by for example, saving an iso or cd2 image on the hard disk to duplicate out), but that's a separate issue. I can copy +R discs that I've finalized.]

1. I copy the 5 VOB files to my hard drive. They are VTS_01_1.VOB thru VTS_01_5.VOB

2. I open Media Manager, navigate to the first VOB file, right click it, and...

3. Extract Audio... is unavailable (grayed out), as are all but a few unrewarding choices.

One would think EMC9 would know how to handle a VOB file. Every DVD player and computer DVD drive seems to know how to extract the audio and video content of VOB files to play them perfectly.

Do you know a way to convert the content to a "video DVD"?

Meanwhile, thanks for your suggestions.

Still doesn't work. And, yes, the disc was finalized in the DVD recorder.

[by the way, I can't seem to copy similarly recorded DVD+RWs with the Disc Copier (by for example, saving an iso or cd2 image on the hard disk to duplicate out), but that's a separate issue. I can copy +R discs that I've finalized.]

1. I copy the 5 VOB files to my hard drive. They are VTS_01_1.VOB thru VTS_01_5.VOB

2. I open Media Manager, navigate to the first VOB file, right click it, and...

3. Extract Audio... is unavailable (grayed out), as are all but a few unrewarding choices.

One would think EMC9 would know how to handle a VOB file. Every DVD player and computer DVD drive seems to know how to extract the audio and video content of VOB files to play them perfectly.

Do you know a way to convert the content to a "video DVD"?

Meanwhile, thanks for your suggestions.

It sounds like the files are copy protected.

If the disc is finalized there will not be a VR folder on it!

Check your Player/Recorder manual. "Protect", "Close" & "Finalize" all have different meanings.

There should be some note in the manual (normally clear as mud) about getting VR discs to play on other Players.

On my Player/Recorder, VRs cannot be played on anything but that specific machine!

thanks guys i followed all your directions saved to harddrive changed to mpg and extracted audio it works great. now i have to edit the wav file it created to clear up the sound from the old lps i recorded and than save them on a reg playing cd ill start a new topic for that help this is all new to me thanks again for asking the question. i hope you have as much luck as i did.

Try using Music Disc Creator. I can import from CD or DVD. Don't use the HOME App either. That seems to be creating some problems.

START>Programs>Roxio EMC 9>Audio>Music Disc Creator

Try that and see if it works.

No, it doesn't work!

I tried directly accessing Music Disc Creator from the Start menu as you suggest, but without success.

1. I click Import from CD/DVD.

2. In the Media Selector dialog box that opens, from Folders view in the left pane, I browse to the DVD drive, which shows DVD_VR containing two folders, VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS.

3. Selecting the latter, the content of VIDEO_TS appears in the right pane (though mysteriously duplicated as Movie 1 and Movie 2 with identical chapter listings.)

4. I expand one of the Chapters listings and select all the chapters (it also doesn't work selecting just a single chapter or either movie listing.)

5. I click the Add button. The Import from CD/DVD dialog box opens.

6. I do not modify the Import Settings, which is WAV (Recommended), nor do I change the Save To location.

7. I click Save. A Music Disc Creator message box warns, Read error.

8. I click OK (or Cancel). Nothing useful happens, no matter what.

I also tried it all with the Sound Editor application, which imports through the same route of Media Selector and Import from CD/DVD.

Any more suggestions? I could snail mail a duplicate of the disc for anyone who wants to debug with the real deal.

Thanks for any further ideas.

I think the problem is the fact that it is a DVD VR disc and not a video DVD. Make sure the disc is 'finalized' in the DVD recorder before using in the computer.

The only other suggestion: Copy the VOB files to the hard drive and then use Media Manager to extract the audio.

Open Media manager

Use the 'Yellow Folder' mode and navigate to the VOB

RIGHT MOUSE click on the VOB and select EXTRACT AUDIO.

Archived