• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Trying to burn a dvd without dvd-it transcoding my files

Seth W

Question

hey all.....im not getting any insight from tech support on this one.

Basically, I am trying to make DVD-it pro hd burn a disc without transcoding my files.

I have the option set to only import compliant files, and the transcode buttons are unchecked.

I and importing compliant 1280X720 MPG2 24FPS files with AC3 audio....they import fine (if they werent compliant i would get an error message during import).

But....when I go to burn disc, it transcodes....every time. The problem is that the resulting image quality from the transcode is very very bad. I have it set to maximum quality also....so thats why im trying to feed it pre-encoded files.

If I cant get it to do this im gonna have to return the software..... :(

13 answers to this question

seth, I'm a little confused. If you set the preference to only import compliant files, and your file is BD compliant HD MPEG-2, it won't import. Why? Because it is not DVD legal. Should give you a notice that says that the file isn't DVD legal and fail to import the file. Conversely (and I admit this doesn't make sense), if you try to import a QT or AVI with that setting they will import (because the program assumes you know that QT and AVI are not legal files and will need to be transcoded...so only checks MPEG for legality).

So what is your preference set to? what are you using to create your legal MPEGS? How do you know they are legal? is your ac3 longer than your video? if it is more than 15 frames longer it will automatically trigger a transcode.

If you want to PM me and you have the ability to post a small clip of your video, I will be happy to take a look at it, run it through our verifier, and let you know what is going on.

Scott

"If you set the preference to only import compliant files, and your file is BD compliant HD MPEG-2, it won't import. Why? Because it is not DVD legal. "

That makes no sense.....there is no setting on dvd-it that says "this project is BD or SD or HD-DVD"...the only option for BD is in the transcoding preference and when you burn the actual disk it asks what the media is.

My file handling is se to "dont import non-compliant files", so I assume when I drag in my MPG2 files and they import without an error then dvdit deems that file compliant? Am I wrong in assuming this?

I understand a quicktime might be deemed compliant, but then what is their definition of compliant? Does it mean "it can be imported and transcoded" or does it mean "compliant to the dvd spec". To me compliant means its ready to be muxed into a dvd.....that the file is dvd-spec compliant, and doesnt need any more "transcoding".

My AC3 is the same length....

Im encoding these files with DVD Studio Pro's "Compressor" utility on a mac....

I dont think I can post a clip, the files are in HD and are quite big.

Im afraid whats happening here is I am trying to burn HD MPG2 on regular DVD and not BD, and the program is thinking there is a compliancy issue when there isnt. Im only trying to do this because Sonics presales department said that I can author HD content and burn it to standard DVD media, thats what im basically trying to do. And its working for the most part....except dvd-it transcodes my files.

Also....the quality of the DVD-it transcoder is total crap....the dvd video image is soft and has tons of jaggies. I cant believe people actually accept the quality of that transcoder.

Edited by Seth W

seth, if you have an HD MPEG, it will absolutely have to transcode to be DVD compliant. the maximum bit rate for DVD is far lower than what you would have for HD assets so you need to transcode. Transcode in compressor, transcode in DVDit Pro HD, not really matter. the question then is how good is a transcode from HD MPEG-2 to DVD MPEG-2. The transcoder in DVDit is solid. You won't see a lot of complaints about it in this forums. May, however, not be optimal for your assets. You will find a lot of people on a lot of forums that will suggest a downconversion to SD resolution before a transcode...

Well that is true....I cant squeeze HD source into SD-DVD with good results.....and if I wanted a sd-dvd I would down-size it before hand.

But what im trying to do is burn a HD-DVD. And I think the issue is that DVDit will make SD-DVDs, and it will make HD-BDs.....but it will not make true HD-DVDs.

Their really is a spec for HD-DVD with nice high bitrates, can use mpg2 or h.264......but I think that DVDit does not provide authoring capability for this, unfortunately.

Seth,

DVDit Pro HD is not an HD DVD authoring tool at this point. It is a Blu-ray authoring too. The only authoring software on the market in its price range that lets you make BDMV Blu-ray discs. those are Blu-ray discs with menus. It does so at this point with HD MPEG-2. If your compressor settings are correct, you will be able to feed the application HD MPEG-2 and at the burn stage choose to Burn Disc, Image or Volume of either DVD or BD. If you choose BD, and your compressor settings are right, your video will pass right through to the disc.

Please check the forum. There are users who have had success with Compressor. They may have posted their settings.

Scott

Yes, my video will pass right through, but dvd-it will not burn BD content onto a standard blank DVD. Of course it wants to see a real Bray burner with real Bray Disks in it.

So now I know that this software will not meet my needs. When I called sonic pre-sales before my purchase, I asked "will dvditprohd burn High-Def content on standard DVD media?" and they said yes it will, they even said it would play hd-dvd content on the Toshiba HD-DVD players. After messing around for 2 days I called them back yesterday with my boss and asked the same question and got the same anwer.

So whats the deal? Should I assume pre-sales have no idea what they are talking about? I mean honestly I feel like I was bamboozled into spending 500 dollars on software that doesnt do what the sales person says it will.

Well sucks for me.....I wasted 3 days on this.

Yes, my video will pass right through, but dvd-it will not burn BD content onto a standard blank DVD.
I don't know of ANY software that will. You can , however, burn HD WMV and HD DivX files to a standard data DVD which some DVD players can handle and can be played back in Windows just fine.

You seem to think the HD DVD is a standard 4.7 or 8.5 disc. It is not. It is a competitor to Blueray and uses a blue laser burner and special blank discs. Think of it sorta like DVD- versus DVD+. I think we will eventually see blue laser burners that handle both types.

As Scott pointed out, DVDit Pro HD will not author and burn to HD DVD (yet?). :)

Edited by ggrussell

If sales said you could play back content on a Toshiba player they were incorrect. Sorry for that. Tried to make it as clear as possible on the web site for the product that it is Blu-ray only and not HD DVD. If you tell me who you spoke with, I will straighten them out.

Here's what you can do. You can output a Blu-ray ISO image to hard disc and then burn that ISO to a DVD. It is a two step process. Afte you have your ISO on your hard drive you select "Burn Disc" choose DVD as the disc type and then choose "From Image" and choose your BD image. The resulting BDMV on DVD-R disc will play in the Panasonic BD player or with PowerDVD BD. Not sure about the Sony with the new firmware update...

Scott

I don't know of ANY software that will. You can , however, burn HD WMV and HD DivX files to a standard data DVD which some DVD players can handle and can be played back in Windows just fine.

You seem to think the HD DVD is a standard 4.7 or 8.5 disc. It is not. It is a competitor to Blueray and uses a blue laser burner and special blank discs. Think of it sorta like DVD- versus DVD+. I think we will eventually see blue laser burners that handle both types.

As Scott pointed out, DVDit Pro HD will not author and burn to HD DVD (yet?). :)

After you have your ISO on your hard drive you select "Burn Disc" choose DVD as the disc type and then choose "From Image" and choose your BD image. The resulting BDMV on DVD-R
Just curious.... Just how can a BD image be burned to DVD-R and it still be BD or even HiDef? That's like squishing 25gigs down to 4.7? I can't image what the quality would be like. ;)

BD image that you output to your hard drive has to be able to fit onto a DVD-R. So, you are limited to 20 minutes or so. 4.7 GB will work just fine. Not sure what will happen if you try to burn a 8.5 GB BD ISO onto a dual layer DVD-R. We don't create a layer break, so I am not sure what will happen with that...

Just curious.... Just how can a BD image be burned to DVD-R and it still be BD or even HiDef? That's like squishing 25gigs down to 4.7? I can't image what the quality would be like. ;)

BD image that you output to your hard drive has to be able to fit onto a DVD-R. So, you are limited to 20 minutes or so. 4.7 GB will work just fine. Not sure what will happen if you try to burn a 8.5 GB BD ISO onto a dual layer DVD-R. We don't create a layer break, so I am not sure what will happen with that...

Very interesting stuff guys! Thanx.