Quick Simple Question

camdensdad

Can I only use firewire?

What kind of DV Camcorder?

Some camcorders only have a USB connection. If the camcorder came with software to download the video, use that for the best quality. If not, you can import with Windows Movie Maker and then use the video in EMC.

If the camcorder records to a DVD, capture from the DVD by putting it in the computer DVD drive.

If the camcorder and computer have a firewire ( IEEE 1349 ) connection, you'll get the best quality video by purchasing the correct cable and using that.

Thanks guys, yes I have that little Canon Elura 100 it has both a USB and Firewire port and my computer and HP Pavilion zd8000 Pent 4 w/ Win XP. The issue I've had since I bought the program is that when I try to import my movie the program's only reaction is to minimize itself into the desktop bar or to just not recognize anything at all, I will try the window movie maker import however ultimatley like anyone else I'd like to use one program and not have to do any transfering, maybe its laziness, maybe im poor and expect my 80 dolla purchase to pull through for me as I have faith this is a fun active program once you can get to work.

That's a nice camcorder. It gets good reviews and it films in low light which is one of my requirements.

You REALLY need to invest in an IEEE 1394 cable if your computer has the port.

The quality of the video will be MUCH better with the IEEE 1394 import.

That's a nice camcorder. It gets good reviews and it films in low light which is one of my requirements.

You REALLY need to invest in an IEEE 1394 cable if your computer has the port.

The quality of the video will be MUCH better with the IEEE 1394 import.

And why would that be? Aren't the bits and bytes the same regardless of the interface used to get them from camcorder to PC? It's a digital video camera... you're copying data from it to the PC. That's like saying a file on a PATA drive will be different than the same file copied to a SATA drive, isn't it?

And why would that be? Aren't the bits and bytes the same regardless of the interface used to get them from camcorder to PC? It's a digital video camera... you're copying data from it to the PC. That's like saying a file on a PATA drive will be different than the same file copied to a SATA drive, isn't it?

I am not sure Dave, but I don't think that the USB port will capture fast enough to get the quality you get when you capture via firewire.

I am also not sure, but don't think you can capture as an .AVI file via USB.

Has nothing to do with that. Just a simple fact, miniDV and 8mm digital when connected VIA USB is used to transfer still images and/or to connect the camcorder as a webcam. Period. No other explanation needed. The camcorder just isn't 'wired' to get full DV AVI quality out the USB port. The USB port capture also does not carry the AUDIO.

As for miniDVD, hard drive camcorders or memory card camcorder, these ARE specifically designed to transfer via USB2 - as you put it - bit for bit. When connected to a PC, Windows should 'see' them as an external device. For example, a miniDVD camcorder will show up as an external DVD Burner. A hard drive camcorder will show up in Windows as an external hard drive. You can then simply use Windows Explorer to 'copy' the files to the internal hard drive.

I'm just in a situation here too, cuz my computer wont recognize my camera

As for miniDVD, hard drive camcorders or memory card camcorder, these ARE specifically designed to transfer via USB2 - as you put it - bit for bit. When connected to a PC, Windows should 'see' them as an external device. For example, a miniDVD camcorder will show up as an external DVD Burner. A hard drive camcorder will show up in Windows as an external hard drive. You can then simply use Windows Explorer to 'copy' the files to the internal hard drive.

You still haven't answered the question on how do you have the camcorder connected? According to Canon website, the Elura 100 is a miniDV camcorder. You will need to purchase a firewire cable to get full quality when capturing. Also be aware that some Canon users have reported problems when capturing with Media Import 9 (stops after 1min). This problem has not been identified yet. You can, however, capture via firewire with Windows Movie Maker or WinDV which is a free shareware app.

Has nothing to do with that. Just a simple fact, miniDV and 8mm digital when connected VIA USB is used to transfer still images and/or to connect the camcorder as a webcam. Period. No other explanation needed. The camcorder just isn't 'wired' to get full DV AVI quality out the USB port. The USB port capture also does not carry the AUDIO.

Ah... well, there is a good explanation then! Thank-you, Gary.

You still haven't answered the question on how do you have the camcorder connected? According to Canon website, the Elura 100 is a miniDV camcorder. You will need to purchase a firewire cable to get full quality when capturing. Also be aware that some Canon users have reported problems when capturing with Media Import 9 (stops after 1min). This problem has not been identified yet. You can, however, capture via firewire with Windows Movie Maker or WinDV which is a free shareware app.

I was attempting to capture through a usb cable that came w/ the camera although my other option is 4-4 pin firewire, I think from what you and the other posters have mentioned I'm going out to Radioshack to find it. It just wont recognize anything thats going on and from what I'm getting its not searching for a camera through USB ports its searching for a firewire connection that isn't there yet. Thank you, I'm just hoping I get to use this product it looks really fun.

Double check your computer's firewire port so you get the correct cable. Most desktop computers have the 6 pin port while most laptops have the 4 pin port. All camcorders have the 4 pin connector.

I bought both cables: 4 pin to 6 pin for my desktop and 4 pin to 4 pin for my laptop

post-49-1174864957.jpg

Archived