• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How Long Should It Take

jasonkcox1975

Question

9 answers to this question

I've been playing for a few hours with both Nero v.6 and EMC 8.

Both burn Tivo desktop files.

Nero is much faster (it took about an hour and 20 minutes to burn an hour program) than EMC 8, which takes the 3x to 4x time ggrussell cites.

OTOH, Nero seems to cause a problem with another program on my box.

Nero can edit a Tivo file, though the editor - to be charitable - is brain dead.

Scott A.

I've got a Liteon set top DVD recorder. I wanted to use it to transfer old home VHS tapes to DVD then bring them into MyDVD to create a nice menu. Seems like ever editor I have wants to re-render them. Very frustrating.

I'm frustrated myself, because I went away from the big name suites a few months back and started using the obscure (at least to me) TMPG line, which - huzzah - worked clearly, reliably and quickly.

I'm back to trying to do some jobs (and sprung for a copy of EMC 8) because of Tivo, which won't work with the TMPG line w/out a hack.

How a small company like TMPG can design and execute better than either Sonic/Roxio or Ahead/Nero is beyond me.

Scott A.

Especially with all the video patents. Just saw a new article that AT&T will start collecting on patents for MPEG4 technology. I looked at TMPGenc, but just not into command line, scripting and such. I want something where I can point and click. LOL

It's much easier than it looks - I'm like you, when it comes to wanting ease of operation.

The MPEG4 thing is disturbing - I saw in another thread that it may be the reason MPEG4 support isn't in EMC 8.

Scott A.

Sounds faster than average if it is re-rendering the files. Render time depends on several things, but mostly CPU power. With my AMD Athlon 3000+ desktop, it averages 3X to 4X the length of the movie using DV AVI files which must always be rendered. So a one hour video takes my computer about 3 or 4 hours to render. That does NOT include burn time.

I have just upgraded to version 8, and purchased a sony 16x dvd writer.

i am successfully burning tivo files, and i am just wondering if all my vido burning seems to take forever. like for instance 2 eps of smallville took 3 hours. is that normal?

really, which format doesnt have to be rendered? is it mpeg2? or what file type is it rendering?

Actually, it can be rather complex. The DVD standard is MPEG2 with AC3 or PCM audio. Some programs use MP3 audio which most DVD players can handle, but is not part of the 'standard'. My experience has been that smart rendering is always tricky no matter what program I am using. It just doesn't always work the way I think it should. LOL

Well EMC has never supported MP4 and Patrick posted in another thread that iPod support might be added in the future. Personally, I don't find it disturbing at all. MPEG4 support is NOT that widespread yet. There are a few DVD players that support DivX, but I haven't seen any that support MPEG4. iPod is about the only thing with a few competitors like the Zen player. I think the Zen would have been better off supporting DivX instead. There are also a few camcorders that use internal HDs that use MPEG4. Suport for those is minimal and a nightmare when it comes to editing software. The only chance MPEG4 has is with HD video and blueray burners. Apple pushes MPEG4 because they own most of the patents. LOL

Archived