• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Different Volume Levels On Tracks

georgemolnar

Question

I burned a disc using creator classic, I enabled the normalizer feature and still have a few tracks that are much louder than most of the others and one that is very quiet. I went to sound editor and imported the CD and seem to have 1 track and 20 clips and I can't figure out how to get all the clips to the same volume level. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George

6 answers to this question

I burned a disc using creator classic, I enabled the normalizer feature and still have a few tracks that are much louder than most of the others and one that is very quiet. I went to sound editor and imported the CD and seem to have 1 track and 20 clips and I can't figure out how to get all the clips to the same volume level. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

George

You need to understand how "normalizing" works. First, it scans the track, and looks at the "loudest" points. From there, it calculates how much the volume can be "raised" without clipping that loudest point. For audio CDs, each point can have a value from -32,768 to +32,767. If you have a song with has a very low average volume, but even 1 drumbeat that hits either of those limits, normalizing will not do anything to that song. It can't without causing distortion. That song is already "normalized", and will sound quieter than a song which has a higher average volume.

To increase the volume of the "quiet" song, you need to compress it, which will raise the volume of the quieter sections, lower the volume of the louder sections, and basically ruin the dynamic range of the song. But it may be what you want. Sound Editor doesn't have a compressor function. You'll need something like GoldWave or DCART 5/6 or any of various other sound editors.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the explanation of normalizing, I can see that it will not really do what I am looking for. One thing that has always baffled me is why you can't manually adjust recording levels, (setting levels being the most basic and important part of recording). Do you know of any software that doesn't cost mega bucks that allows the user to set levels. This program does have some control over that aspect of things because it will let you fade out a track.

Thanks again

George

But you can !. :huh:

Thanks for the explanation of normalizing, I can see that it will not really do what I am looking for. One thing that has always baffled me is why you can't manually adjust recording levels, (setting levels being the most basic and important part of recording).

Thanks again

George

See screen shot from Import media/Audio function.. :)

Sorry, I forgot where I was, the image is from Version 8. I'm not where I can get to the computer where V7 was but I think that Media Import and Sound Editor in V7.5 was closer to V8 anyway.

Thanks for that, I can't wait to get home to check it out.

Thanks for the explanation of normalizing, I can see that it will not really do what I am looking for. One thing that has always baffled me is why you can't manually adjust recording levels, (setting levels being the most basic and important part of recording). Do you know of any software that doesn't cost mega bucks that allows the user to set levels. This program does have some control over that aspect of things because it will let you fade out a track.

Thanks again

George

GoldWave is very reasonably priced at $55. The free download has fairly generous capabilities. For plain recording of LPs, and splitting out of individual tracks, I usually use CDWAVE (www.cdwave.com) which is free, but a registration fee is requested. That's just for capturing and splitting tracks. Set the volume during the recording with your sound card's mixer controls.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Again, you may need more than simple "volume adjustment" to avoid clipping your files, you may need compression to get what you want.

Archived