wildstunts

Converting Video_ts File To Edit In Imovie

Question

I know the iMovie part of this question is probably out of this forums agenda, but can anyone tell me how I can do this? I can get the video file into the media browser but from there I am in the dark.

Thanks for looking into this!

11 answers to this question

I know the iMovie part of this question is probably out of this forums agenda, but can anyone tell me how I can do this? I can get the video file into the media browser but from there I am in the dark.

Thanks for looking into this!

1. Make sure you have your Video_TS on the desktop

2. Click on the Media browser

3. Select DVD

4. Select the Title or chapter that you intend to export to DV or Qt format for use in iMovie

5. Drag the file to the Toast Video window

6. Click on the Export option at the bottom of the Toast window

7. Select "DV" or QT format to save the file to desired location.

3. Select DVD

4. Select the Title or chapter that you intend to export to DV or Qt format for use in iMovie

At step 5 I'd do it differently:

5. Click the Media button to enter the Media Browser and select DVD with the top button. When the DVD appears in the lower window go down to the Title level with the lower button. Now drag the movie from the browser to the Video window. Toast extracts the MPEG video and writes it to the Roxio Converted Items folder.

6. Select the extracted movie in the Video window and click the Export button.

Perhaps this should be a new topic, but I'm a 1-day-old newbie, so please, no flames. Just upgraded to Toast 7 yesterday.

I have a cousin whose wife died 2/26/06 and he wants me to edit a home movie someone has transferred from VHS tape onto DVD for him. I'm able to burn (duplicate) the whole thing from the TS folder (there are no chapter markers, etc.), but wonder if there is a way to get this into iMovie or something, delete the portions he does not want to share, and burn the resulting movie in Toast or iDVD. Any help would be appreciated...as quickly as possible, please, and thanks in advance for any help you can give. He's still pretty "raw" following the loss and I'd really like to help him out.

Perhaps this should be a new topic, but I'm a 1-day-old newbie, so please, no flames. Just upgraded to Toast 7 yesterday.

I have a cousin whose wife died 2/26/06 and he wants me to edit a home movie someone has transferred from VHS tape onto DVD for him. I'm able to burn (duplicate) the whole thing from the TS folder (there are no chapter markers, etc.), but wonder if there is a way to get this into iMovie or something, delete the portions he does not want to share, and burn the resulting movie in Toast or iDVD. Any help would be appreciated...as quickly as possible, please, and thanks in advance for any help you can give. He's still pretty "raw" following the loss and I'd really like to help him out.

The fastest way to do this is to get the freeware MPEG Streamclip. You'll also need to buy Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component for $20. MPEG Streamclip will open the video directly from the DVD and allows trimming of clips from that video. After trimming the parts you don't want, choose Convert to MPEG from the Streamclip file menu. Drag that MPEG to Toast to author and burn a new video DVD.

The fastest way to do this is to get the freeware MPEG Streamclip. You'll also need to buy Apple's QuickTime MPEG 2 Playback Component for $20. MPEG Streamclip will open the video directly from the DVD and allows trimming of clips from that video. After trimming the parts you don't want, choose Convert to MPEG from the Streamclip file menu. Drag that MPEG to Toast to author and burn a new video DVD.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm about to get Streamclip now, but out of curiosity, what is the function of Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG Playback Component? Is that what converts the "Streamclipped" snippets into something that Toast 7 or iDVD 6 can use?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm about to get Streamclip now, but out of curiosity, what is the function of Apple's $20 QuickTime MPEG Playback Component? Is that what converts the "Streamclipped" snippets into something that Toast 7 or iDVD 6 can use?

Its function is to enable Streamclip to display the video. Streamclip uses QuickTime for video playback but QuickTime doesn't have a codec for playing MPEG 2 video. Apple includes that codec with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, while the rest of us have to buy it separately.

iDVD can't use MPEG 2 video even with the Apple component. The reason I suggest using Streamclip is that you are starting with an MPEG 2 source and want to end with an MPEG 2 source that has been trimmed. Toast can use that trimmed MPEG 2 file without having to re-encode it.

In order to do this with iMovie and iDVD you'd need to export the MPEG 2 to a DV or full-quality QuickTime Movie (using Toast or Streamclip), import it to iMovie (or other editing app), edit the video and export to iDVD or Toast which then would re-encode the video to MPEG 2 for DVD. This is a big time waster and also lowers the final picture quality.

Its function is to enable Streamclip to display the video. Streamclip uses QuickTime for video playback but QuickTime doesn't have a codec for playing MPEG 2 video. Apple includes that codec with Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, while the rest of us have to buy it separately.

iDVD can't use MPEG 2 video even with the Apple component. The reason I suggest using Streamclip is that you are starting with an MPEG 2 source and want to end with an MPEG 2 source that has been trimmed. Toast can use that trimmed MPEG 2 file without having to re-encode it.

In order to do this with iMovie and iDVD you'd need to export the MPEG 2 to a DV or full-quality QuickTime Movie (using Toast or Streamclip), import it to iMovie (or other editing app), edit the video and export to iDVD or Toast which then would re-encode the video to MPEG 2 for DVD. This is a big time waster and also lowers the final picture quality.

Thanks! Would have replied sooner, but I forgot how to get back here!

3. Select DVD

Does the same method work if you are trying to convert TS file to QT to import tyo Final Cut?

Does the same method work if you are trying to convert TS file to QT to import tyo Final Cut?

Yes, that's the way to do it. You also could export to a QT file instead of DV but there is no reason I can think of to do that for your purpose.

Yes, that's the way to do it. You also could export to a QT file instead of DV but there is no reason I can think of to do that for your purpose.

6. Click on the Export option at the bottom of the Toast window'

Thanks for your reply but can't seem to locate this button. I am using toast and need to convert TS files to QT. The only options available are to copy as data os as TS.

Hope this makes sense. A

6. Click on the Export option at the bottom of the Toast window'

Thanks for your reply but can't seem to locate this button. I am using toast and need to convert TS files to QT. The only options available are to copy as data os as TS.

Hope this makes sense. A

The export button is at the bottom of the Video window. Choose DVD Video as the setting in the Video window and then go to the Media Browser to drag the titles from your VIDEO_TS folder to the Video window. Once the title(s) are there you can select them which activates the Export button.