• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Clean up using Sound Editor

Hooleo

Question

When removing clicks & crackles in an LP recorded clip using Sound Editor in EMC 8 I have tried both ways to cleanup the sound and it appears to have no different end result in the final sound. However later on when I start burning to disc it could be noticeable on a good sound system. Most of my LP's are pretty clean and only need certain areas cleaned up. This takes more time, but some clicks need more "power"(Tim the tool man philosophy) to clean and I don't want to apply this "power" to all of the clip. PS: My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but other people who would be listening could hear quality problems in the selected clean areas.

1 answer to this question

When removing clicks & crackles in an LP recorded clip using Sound Editor in EMC 8 I have tried both ways to cleanup the sound and it appears to have no different end result in the final sound. However later on when I start burning to disc it could be noticeable on a good sound system. Most of my LP's are pretty clean and only need certain areas cleaned up. This takes more time, but some clicks need more "power"(Tim the tool man philosophy) to clean and I don't want to apply this "power" to all of the clip. PS: My hearing is not as good as it used to be, but other people who would be listening could hear quality problems in the selected clean areas.

The proof is in the hearing. Remember that along with the clicks and hiss and other garbage, you are removing part of the original audio. My opinion is that he minimum amount of fixing should be applied to the good areas.

I would apply the heavy duty Mr Clean to those area that need it; not to the whole music file. It might be noticeable in those ares but overall, I think you would get a better sounding audio. Depending on the equipment that is used to play it, it might not be noticeable.

Sound Editor is good for doing a moderate level of cleaning but that is not it's primary function. You might also consider Bias Sound Soap to see what it can do. If you do a lot of LPs, you might try it. When or if you consider upgrading to EMC 9, a lite version is included in the Deluxe version of EMC 9.

I used to also use Gold Wave to clean up problem problem spots. There is a free trial available.

Archived